3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Internet sales approach?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Internet sales approach?

I'm getting closer to purchasing a new 600. One of the suggestions I've read about in previous threads is to send out an e-mail to the local dealers telling them that I'm a serious buyer, the description of the truck I want and see how low they can go below dealer wholesale. This seems like a good idea, but I wanted to get some more feedback before I stick my foot in my mouth ... er keyboard.

First off, how do I get the e-mail addresses of all the local internet sales managers locally?

I was thinking of saying something like:

- I've decided to purchase the following Dodge truck: 3500 CTD QC, LWB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed, 3.73, SLT, Fold flat seats, Anti-Spin.
- I'm a cash buyer with no trade-in.
- Please reply to this e-mail with specifics related to a truck you have in stock, and how much below dealer wholesale you will come.
What do you think? Will they all just laugh at me, or is there a better approach?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2004, 10:34 PM

Ordering 600 for California

Since you are in California you have to get a 600 certified to meet the California air pollution regs. Only California and the states bordering California are currently eligible to purchase California certified 600s. Other members have reported that California dealers are being less than negotiable. A member on the TDR site was in your situation not long ago and did a big search and identified a dealer in Oregon that agreed to order/sell California certified 600s at $1000 below dealer invoice:

Lithia Dodge
Eugene, Oregon
800-437-6496
ask for Eric Todd, Internet Sales Manager
Old 04-11-2004, 10:37 PM

Question

How do you know what dealer invoice is? It is MSRP less some %?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:40 PM

What have you got to lose? That exact approach worked for me. I clicked on the links found in kbb or something when looking at options and prices online.

Tell them you've been looking hard at the Ford, but want to take an educated look at the Dodge before you jump. I'd include that you've studied the cost and MSRP prices online; and you may want to give them a ball park figure (suitably low - acknowledging that they should get a tiny profit) on what you'd be willing to spend and ask if they're willing to work with you before they respond back. Cash talks, you'll get a nibble if they're willing to move a truck.

Don't forget that the follow up service etc is also part of the entire package. It might be worth your while to spend a little more at a dealer that has a better reputation in follow-on service/repairs for example.

My buying experience this way was easily the best new-car buying experience I ever had. I'll probably buy my next vehicle from the same fellow.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:53 PM

I'm aware that I need to get a California certified 600, even though it's a 50 state model. I really don't want to order one - the wait is longer than I want. We're planning on a trip with our TT to Yellowstone that will include a lot of mountain passes - I don't really want to try that trip with the 1500 YukonXL.

I have seen ads in the local papers for 600s at what would appear to be under wholesale, judging from what I've researched (it's really tough to know without knowing exactly what's on the truck). These are typically "one at this price" sorts of ad spots, so I'm hopefull.

One other option I have is the friends and family discount. It's my understanding that's 1% under dealer invoice, and I get the rebate somebody correct me if I'm wrong here There is a certain appeal to going that route. I could buy the truck at my local dealer with zero haggling, as it would be a fixed price. They've been pretty nice with letting me test drive all the rigs, although I have no idea about their service dept. If they didn't have the truck, I'm assuming they could do a trade with a local dealer?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:02 PM

Prices

I always use Edmunds.com to check prices. They allow you to build the vehicle exactly as you want and then show you both the dealer invoice prices plus the MSRP.

My experience with "one at this price" is that it is an ST model, i.e. stripped down contractor model.

Most of the dealers have web sites that allow you to search their inventory. Go to their sites, find the vehicle you are after, and then email them your offer. No big deal.

Don't forget the telephone also. Just call the local dealers and ask what kind of deals they are giving.

With interest rates so low and just about everyone qualifying for loans, saying you have cash means almost nothing in this market.

BTW, I see you are looking for a 3500 SRW. I've been led to believe that they can be very difficult to find.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:47 AM

I used carsdirect.com and dodge.com.

Cars Direct gave me some clues about price. Then I used Dodge.com to request quotes via email from several local dealers.

One was willing to search for the truck I wanted before ordering, the other seemed to be more interested into pushing me into an order rather then looking to see if what I wanted was at another local dealer.

It was a good experience. Since I went through Dodge.com I worked with the Fleet manager so I didn't have any of that dealer BS about price. I got my truck for a little under invoice minus $3500 in rebates.

Good Luck,
Sam
Old 04-12-2004, 01:17 PM

joelcool, i don't think that will get off the ground. these nice 3500 rams don't sit on there lots long.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:26 AM

try www.carbuyingtips.com
awesome site with the most info I have been able to find all in one place.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:45 PM

Question

I am missing something yet. How do you find out what Invoice is? I see reference to getting a truck just under invoice, etc. but how do I find out?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by AaronT
I am missing something yet. How do you find out what Invoice is? I see reference to getting a truck just under invoice, etc. but how do I find out?
Thanks
Go to www.msn.com and click on autos. Once you get there, there's a couple of windows where you can choose the vehicle of your choice. After you do that, click on the "price it with options" button. You'll get invoice and MSRP based on which options you pick. Here's a link to the window where I've selected Dodge Ram 3500 http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ov...57&src=LeftNav

I've been spending considerable time doing research. It's killin' me to spend this much time in front of the 'puter!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:26 PM

I did just that in Colo
I Saved $5000 by driving to Denver from Colo Springs
None of the local dealers replied to my emails
When I went to them with quotes from Denver they tried to sell me a used truck
My lowest quote was from N side of Denver I drove tom a South end dealer and they matched it