3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Interior Lights - Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to All:

The interior lights haven't worked for about a week now. Thinking the problem was the fuse ("Interior Ilumination"), I purchased a new 15A fuse. Well to my surprise the fuse was fine. The lights do not come on either when opening any door or when trying the dimmer switch.

The truck is a 2004 RAM QC CTD Auto 4X4 SB.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Roy
Old 11-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Do you have your dash lights turned off or down very low? That can prevent your interior lights from coming on.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 PM

I've done a little troubleshooting.

The dome and map reading lights can be activated manually. The dome light does not come on when any of the doors are opened. I have done some reading and understand there is a "door ajar switch" in each door that should acivate the dome light when a door is opened.

Could there be an issue with the ground(s) or communication signal(s) from these switches?

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Roy
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM

might try the old disconnect batteries for a few minutes...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 PM

You say the dimmer switch? Now are you talking about the Headlight Dimmer Switch (Multi-Function Switch Assembly) in the steering colum or the dash mounted Headlight Switch.

If you talking about the dash mounted headlight switch with the wheel, try listening for a click sound while turnig the wheel. You may have not released the dome lock out feature. I done this before while armoraling my dash, and thought I had a problem too until I reread my owners manual and found the culprit.

You sound like you are headed in the right area, thinking its either the door jab switch or the dash mounted headlight switch. When your dash lights are on, are they really dim or bright. This might indicate that the dash mounted headlight switch with a built in rethrostat (Dash/Dome Light Dimmer ****) has failed and will need to be replaced.

Have you checked to see if your truck's bed cargo lights come on while adjusting the dash/dome light dimmer **** on the dash mounted headlight switch?

Shawn

Last edited by CatDiesel_762; 11-28-2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Did not see other post about doors.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:23 PM

Inteior Lights - Problem

CatDiesel;

Thanks for the comments. The dimmer switch I'm referring to is the thumb wheel mounted on the dash beside the headlight control switch.

A little more info - the map reading lights can be operated manually with the doors closed or open. The lights also do not come on when any of the doors are opened. I can also position the thumb wheel in such a way that the interior lights-on chime sounds when I open the driver's door even though there are no interior lights on.

More comments / feedback is welcome.

Roy
Old 11-30-2007, 01:48 AM

Betsy II,

I been checking the manual and TSB Indexes Online for related problems. What I have come across is, the Instrument Cluster has a two circuits to feed the Dome/Map lights and to ground them out by using the door adjar sensor. These circuits run in parrallel to each other.

According to the manual, you can reset your instrument cluster by removing the battery cables on both batteries and wait 5-15 seconds before reattaching them. Then turn the key on and look for a bulb check. Also see if you dome lamps now work. This should force the Instrument Cluster to relearn what features/accessories the truck has and will activate them.

If that does not work then, you have four choices for checking to see if the door adjar switch may have failed for your dome problem.
1. Turn your key on and open the door. Your Instrument Cluster should show a Door Adjar Light. If not then go to the next step.
2.Check the other fuses. I thought I saw two fuses listed for the Door Adjar circuit. One was Fuse 17 and the other was 51. These should be located in the box next to the driverside headlight under the hood.
3. Look for a body ground connection under the dash along the firewall or steering collum. Check these wires for loose connections.
4.Open up the door panel and peel back the vapor barrier while cutting the RTV (Weather Strip Adhesive) with a razor blade. Use caution and keep the adhesive clean as possible so you can reuse the rtv and vapor barrier. With the window up. Pull the two wire plug located above the door latch mechanism. Using a DC Voltameter test the plug for voltage across the two terminals and see if the lights work, or use a jumper wire and cross the two terminals or ground out one terminal at a time while watching the lights or meter. If the lights come on, then the problem is in the door adjar switch and will require a new latch assembly according to service manual.

If none of these help then, I am wondering if you do not have a bad Instrument Cluster. Which I would hate to see what it would cost. I am guessing a easy $500-1000 right there for parts.

Hope these ideas help.
Shawn