3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installing factory stereo need help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing factory stereo need help...

I just recieved my factory cd player from a member of DTR thanks CHIPMONK. The aftermarket stereo was dying and i wanted to use my steering wheel controls. I pulled the panel off and ripped the old one out now Im confused. Has anyone installed a factory system after an aftermarket system was removed?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:31 PM

If the aftermarket radio was not installed using a wiring harness, you are probably looking at a lot of cut wires. To make this easy, you will need to check at one of you local car stereo dealers/installers and see if they can sell you a stock(original) harness, if not your local dealership can probably get you one. When you get the stock harness, it should be very easy to match and splice all the color coded wires to the harness then plug it into the stock radio.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by southpawslingr1
I just recieved my factory cd player from a member of DTR thanks CHIPMONK. The aftermarket stereo was dying and i wanted to use my steering wheel controls. I pulled the panel off and ripped the old one out now Im confused. Has anyone installed a factory system after an aftermarket system was removed?
you're welcome- glad to hear you got it.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 PM

So i figured out that the external amp was bypassed to put the aftermarket deck in. My problem is behind the glove box the wires have all been cut and messed with. I dont know which end is up its a mess. I connected some wires that seemed they had just been cut in half and others seem to have nowhere to connect to Im lost...
Old 06-11-2008, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by southpawslingr1
So i figured out that the external amp was bypassed to put the aftermarket deck in. My problem is behind the glove box the wires have all been cut and messed with. I dont know which end is up its a mess. I connected some wires that seemed they had just been cut in half and others seem to have nowhere to connect to Im lost...
who put the aftermarket deck in?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:15 PM

I don't remember which site but I know you can download all of the wiring diagrams for dodge trucks.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:26 PM

Ugghh!! Sounds like a mess. I had to change out a factory Infinity Amp in my 04.5. NOT much room in there to get at the last bolt!! Can't imagine how hard it would be to trace all those wires in that tight of a space.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Is the factory amp visible once you get the dash and glove box taken apart. Im worried that the person that had the truck before me ripped my amp out of the truck completely. Ive got wires hanging behind the glove box with no sign of an amplifier. I know I have the system with the amp becuase i have 7 speakers and it says infinity. I have my dash and glove box gone and i dont see anything resembling an amplifier just lots of confusing wires.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Yep pretty sure the amplifier is gone, as well as the connectors going into it. Now I have to figure out how to get the factory POS amp and connectors to make it work. Unreal how some people just rip something apart and cob it together leaving me outta luck. Ive got my whole dash and glove box ripped apart and Im not gonna have any music. Arrraagghh Im so mad, ok Im done sorry for the rant fellers.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM

You can order an amplifier from a dealer. It lists for $264. Dodgeparts.com sells it for $175.50. Ratlratl (Chris) is a parts manager and can probably give you a better price.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Id like to find a wrecked one somewhere and just go in there and cut off all the wires and connectors i need as well as the amplifier. That way I can at least pig tail the loose wires so when I do get a amplifier I have something to plug into it besides bare wires.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 AM

there are junk yards that will let you pull your own parts... there is one in chesapeake va called "you wrench it" that friends tell me is awesome for doing stuff just like what you want to do. i know i plan on stopping in the next trip to the beach just to check it out. check around there might be a similar place close to you.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by capnp72
I don't remember which site but I know you can download all of the wiring diagrams for dodge trucks.
Try www.the12volt.com

It's the best one going.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Ok I need to know where this phantom amp really is...I have my dash ripped apart and there is nothing that I can see that looks like an amplifier. I went to a junk yard today and the trucks they are had believe it or not were junk. I think one of them may have had the amplifier but Im not sure where it is. Is it way up in the back near the firewall or right behind the glove box. This is turning into the biggest mess ive ever encountered!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Southpawslinger1 - I am upgrading my factory single CD to factory 6 CD stereo. I also purchased factory amp from e-bay. I am only aware the amp goes behind the glove box. I am in a similar situation where the factory wiring did not include the wiring for the amp. Sorry, I cannot help out, but I would be interested in how you figured out the "mess."

I got a quote for new stereo harness from dealer - I recall around $500, so this is not an alternative for me to consider.

Quick Reply: Installing factory stereo need help...