3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installing a CB Radio in a 3rd Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought of doing the same, because I will also only be using the CB on trips. I was just looking at all my options. I am still amazed at the lack of fused in the fuse box. I was also looking at just pulling power off something in the fuse box that is powered by the ignition.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jpkidd
I apologize for bringing up an old topic, but I guess it is better then starting the hole thing over again.

I am just wondering were you guys are getting your power to run the CB's? In my Jeep I am running my CB right off the battery. I was going to do the same in my truck. Would there be any drawbacks to this? If so were can I go for alternatives to get power?
Thanks
Kirk
It depends if you are using a "stock" radio or not. I am pushing a 350 watt high drive linear and a peaked and tuned 76xl radio, so I run a heavy guage wire to the batt and grnd at tha pass seat bolt. Stock radio will be fine to use the cig lighter.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 AM

When I did the wiring on my 05, I drilled a small hole in the rubber plug where the clutch is supposed to be, ran the wires thru there and resealed the hole with silicone.
Wires are conntcted to a hot fuse in the box.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM

Since this topic was brought back up, how did y'all run the wiring for the antenna?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhornet1986
Since this topic was brought back up, how did y'all run the wiring for the antenna?
Drill hole under truck , if possable inside frame rails to keep it away from road debri and water, ( check for wires etc.. before drilling) and install rubber boot or seal it off some how after you have ran your antenna cbl.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:45 PM

I also got one of those all-in-the-mic Cobra radios. I installed the control box under the center console toward the front dash area. I used a piece of RG58 coax for my power wire. I used the center conductor for the power and the shield for the ground. This shields the power wire from some of the rfi that comes off our electronics, helps with a little noise supression. I connected it to the battery and am using the fuse that came with the radio power cord. I am using a Wilson 1000 roof top antenna. This is an excellent place for an antenna, makes a good centered ground plane for 360* transmit/receive. I pulled off the center dome light and punched the hole through the roof for the antenna. I routed the coax down the B-pillar then under the carpeting through the seat and to the center console area. All in all it is a nice clean installation, everything is hidden, all you have to do is locate the place you like for the mic hanging bracket.

CD
Old 04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

This is what I did, works great the mic is right at my right leg easy to reach. I ran my antena cable through the same hole as the e-brake cable.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by hapidonnie
I drilled a small hole in the rubber plug where the clutch is supposed to be.
What do you mean where the clutch is SUPPOSED to be?

Coparam, Did you install an aux speaker?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Compact Cobra:

Wilson 1000 Antenna:

Old 04-16-2007, 03:18 PM

I also use the Cobra 75 with all the works in the microphone. I put the power/antenna connection box right behind the center dash on the floor. I hang the mic on a retractable microphone holder that clips to my sun visor post. I can hear it and reach it great at this location. I also can remove everything from the truck in about 15 seconds. I used a Li'l Wilson antenna magnetic mount on top of the cab and routed the cable through the third brake light and through the headliner on the driver's side and down then looped over to behind the center console.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:02 PM

I had the Cobra 75, then the Galaxy 959 with Palomar 250 amp, Now Connex Turbo 4600, (what a radio!!!) I have two power sources now, one powered when key is on & One straight from the Battery. I fed wires through firewall grommet on drivers side after "poking" a hole in it with screwdriver. Afterwards I sealed it with a little black silicone. Antenna coax is fairly easy to run after removing plastic strip at bottom of LH Doors & running under carpet to LH rear underseat compartment where their is a plug that can be removed in floorboard. The rest is easy. Beware CB's are like adding bombs to trucks. The end never comes.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM

It was hard for me to decide on an antenna. I initially mounted the antenna on the driver’s side fender. It took away from the look of the truck having that big antenna mounted there. After several restless nights sleeping I decided that I would go for a roof mount antenna.

After reading other threads on here about dropping the headliner, removing visor clips and so on I was ready to go for it. Getting ready was pretty easy. Getting the headliner lowered went pretty smooth. The hard part was getting ready to drill the 7/16 hole in the roof. I decided I would mount the antenna just behind the dome light.

With drill in hand and ready to go and my mind going a mile a minute. What the heck am I doing drilling a hole in the roof of my truck. My heart rate was up, sweating profusely and shaking like Don Knots. After I got the pilot hole done I was ready for a nap, but needed to get this done. I drilled the 7/16 hole from the top. Installing the antenna and putting everything back together went good. Nothing broken and after setting the SWR it works great. The roof mount antenna looks slick. It is only 14” tall and it does not stick out too bad.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 PM

Mic646 What kind of antenna is that you are running. The antenna seems kinda short. long as it gets out Who cares. What radio are you talking on? Got pics?