3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installing Cat test pipe....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Installing Cat test pipe....

I bought a cat test pipe a couple years ago and never got around to putting it on due to wife's cancer. Now that it's cooled off and the wife is clean and green, I plan on tackling this project this coming weekend.

Question is, are there any tips or suggestions to keep my frustration down to a minimum? Is there a way I can remove the cat in such a fashion that if I want to put it back on, I still have it in good enough condition to re-install? Or am I going to beat it to oblivion getting the sucker off?

Any advice is welcome!!

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just took a sawzall and cut it off. Went to a truck shop and bought some of that flexable exhaust pipeing that is on trucks behind the Turbo. 2 new clamps and I was done. It wouldn't be so hard to take of but the factory tightens the clamps so much it crimps the pipe.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I had a heck of a time trying to get mine off. It took me almost 4 hours to remove mine. I agree it would be a lot easier to just cut off the CAT and install the new delete pipe. However I decided that I was going to save mine incase I ever needed to reinstall it. I used a air hammer and a torch to remove mine. Do yourself a favor and not wear anything that you can not throw away when you are done. I looked like I spent a day in the coal mine when I was finished.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I just took a sawzall and cut it off. Went to a truck shop and bought some of that flexable exhaust pipeing that is on trucks behind the Turbo. 2 new clamps and I was done. It wouldn't be so hard to take of but the factory tightens the clamps so much it crimps the pipe.
This is the easiest way and you save your cat for future. Save the pipe you already bought for future re-install of cat. and just buy the flex/clamps. Should only take about an hr. or less from start to finish.

Good news on the wife, I've never experience and I hope I don't. I hope she stays 'green'.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 PM

The pipe I already bought is one that's already been bent to replace the cat directly. I wish I would have thought of flex pipe BEFORE I bought this pipe a couple years ago
Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM

I pounded mine off with a 2 lb hammer and railroad spike. It took some time but it was done in about an a hour. Nothing broke and I can put it back on. I recommend removing the exhaust past/downstream of the cat and then support the cat with a jack stand. Note that I could not get full swings with the 2 lb hammer and I took my time.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 AM

It's a pain, but it's worth it. I did the exact same thing you are going to do. There just isn't really an easy way. The factory has crimped the pipes together to tight for them just to come apart. I used a die grinder and made two cuts opposite of one another on the cat. pipe and then bent the pipe where it was cut outward. This worked good for me and it didn't take to long and I can put the cat. right back on with no problems. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 PM

I second the grinder option. I cut 3" slits on both ends. I also used the grinder to level the guide pin on the exhause pipe to allow room for the stainless band clamps I used to secure the Cat delete pipe. I also was abe to reinstall the CAT with no problems.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:02 PM

I've been thinking about using the flex pipe but is it rigid enough to help support the rest of the exhaust? I'm alittle worried that it would be alittle flimsy.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by hivoltage
I've been thinking about using the flex pipe but is it rigid enough to help support the rest of the exhaust? I'm alittle worried that it would be alittle flimsy.
Not as long as you use the stock hangers, you could always add another 'hanger' off the frame to brace the flex, all it is is solid round stock.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:52 PM

Thumbs up Update.....Done!

It was kind of a PIA to say the least. I tried to get kitty to come off but got tired of struggling. Cut a couple inches off with the grinder and she worked her way loose. Installing the pipe went OK up front, but into the muffler, it was a struggle. Finally cut a couple slits in the pipe and she went in, but with a struggle to say the least. I think I need to patch a couple small slits where I went a bit ape with the grinder when cutting slits to get it off. No big whup.
For the most part, the kitty can be put back on, I'll just need to get a sleeve or something to make-up for the part I cut off. Better yet, if I ever have to put it back on, I'll just take 'er down to the muffler shop.
One thing I noticed after starting her up after surgery, she smells like a diesel, not like that weird smell before. Kind of a fringe benefit in my dimented mind.
All in all, I'm glad I tried this and I'm glad it's done. Thanks all for the suggestions. The "cutting a couple slits" suggestions were the best!!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM

I cut slits like a few others had mentioned. It worked well and the test pipe then went on without any trouble. Replaced it all with the 5" setup a couple years later.

Good Luck,,,
Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 AM

Kind of an ignorant question, but did you remove the cat for performance, additional MPG's, or a more aggressive sound ?

Or all of the above ?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Not an ignorant question at all!

For me it was to squeeze out even a fraction more fuel economy. I have seen posts where the increase was more formitable upwards of 1+mpg. I have noticed a touch more peformance. I've noticed my EGT's are down as well. The sound difference to me is very slight, but I've had Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath blasting in my ears growing up (I'm 48) so my hearing may not be as acute as others. Another thing I noticed is my truck now "smells" like a diesel. Thought that was kinda cool too.

For economy, the best mods I've done were intake and the quadzilla XZII with the city mpg flash downloaded.

Hope this helps....
Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM

I did this and it works fine. I have a friend that just put a solid piece in his and he has a droaning problem pulling, I hooked up to his same trailer and don't have a droan problem, I think this may solve his and others droaning by using even a small piece of flex piping.

Originally Posted by hivoltage

Quick Reply: Installing Cat test pipe....