3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installed Mopar fog lights--interesting result

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phloop
Here's my story, and some words of advice.

I just took off the Laramie bumper on my '06 and put an SLT bumper on in it's place. More chrome, bling. I found out that I needed the bevels in between the lights and the bumpers on the SLT bumper.
phloop,

How's the bumper swap go? Is a direct bolt on switch? I'd like to put the Laramie bumper on my SLT.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 AM

If you get the kit you want the factory switch to replace your current headlight switch then its same as factory install then you dont have a seperate rocker switch to turn them on. For brightness they are brighter than highbeams unless you jumper them off the park lamps then they stay on with your highbeams which is then brighter than fogs w/lowbeams. Here are some part #s I got mine online @ dodgeparts.com or mydodgeparts.com cant remember which was cheaper then sold spare parts I didnt need (wiring kit rocker switch etc.) on ebay cause didnt need em this worked nicely I have a SLT they are already wired for FOGS
Part #'s
82208102AC-Lamp Kit fog lights
56045537AC- Switch w/fog lamp
Old 09-09-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phloop
Here's my story, and some words of advice.

I just took off the Laramie bumper on my '06 and put an SLT bumper on in it's place. More chrome, bling. I found out that I needed the bevels in between the lights and the bumpers on the SLT bumper.

When I looked into buying them, they cost $39 a piece. I also asked what a replacement foglight cost, I was told just the light was $120 each! I then asked what the add on fog light kit cost, I was quoted $180 for the kit for a truck without fog lights. I figured that I would buy the whole kit and have the two extra foglights on hand in case I broke one. Cheaper in the long run. A whole bunch cheaper. And as a bonus, I now have a really good fog light wire loom that I will be adding to my Zuki.

And the PN for the kit I got is 82208102AC. It list's for around $180 complete. This is for the kit that you can install the fog lights on a truck without fog lights. Comes with the complete wire loom and an add on switch, not just a small loom and replacement switch. Had I known (or the new parts guy known), I may have gotten it for a lot cheaper.

The advice is. If you can afford it, buy the complete kit. You will end up with extra parts but unload them on ebay. Keep the lights, that will be what makes buying the kit a good idea.
phloop

Do you want to sell the old Laramie bumper? if you do then I call dibs on it now
sell me your old Laramie bumper please I want to put it on my SLT BAD!!

PM sent yesterday
please reply
thanks 53
Old 09-09-2006, 12:03 PM

I check my lights last night and my fogs stay on with the high beams on. It sure makes things bright!
Old 09-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
phloop

Do you want to sell the old Laramie bumper? if you do then I call dibs on it now
sell me your old Laramie bumper please I want to put it on my SLT BAD!!

PM sent yesterday
please reply
thanks 53
Yes, the bumper is for sale. I sent you a PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
phloop,

How's the bumper swap go? Is a direct bolt on switch? I'd like to put the Laramie bumper on my SLT.
Real easy swap. There are only 6 bolts that hold the bumper on. Those and the wiring for the fog lights are the only thing's you need to undo. It is a one man job doing the swap but kinda awkward.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought my 04.5 SLT 4x4 without the fog lights. Checked and there wan not a wiring harness on the truck. Bought the kit from Mopar (son got it for me dealer cost +10%) and it cost me about $135. Simple installation, about 1-2 hours. Hard part for me was where to drill the hole for the switch as I did not get the headlight switch replacement. Installed relay and followed all directions and found out lights only came on with low beams. Changed relay sensor to parking light circuit and now they come on with any light combo including parking lights. Stone hit one lite and broke it, replacement was thru Dodge $125 sons cost. Was cheaper to buy another kit although I didn't buy the kit instead I did buy a single lite on E-Bay for $40 and you can not tell it from the original one.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you guys REALLY want to see at night, do the fog lamp bulb conversion (it's way brighter) and use the leftover bulbs for some cheap, trick underhood lights.

There's a pic in my gallery.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 AM

Unhappy fog + brights

Just want to remind you guys that are running your fog lights with your brights......In Texas it is against the law to have more than 4 driving lights lit at once.....In other words if your truck has 4 head lights and all four are lit when on bright, you cannot run your fogs with your brights.....Just FYI
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by retcap201
Just want to remind you guys that are running your fog lights with your brights......In Texas it is against the law to have more than 4 driving lights lit at once.....In other words if your truck has 4 head lights and all four are lit when on bright, you cannot run your fogs with your brights.....Just FYI

All our trucks only have the 2 headlights and 2 fogs, so no problems there.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 AM

did a search on Ebay for "Dodge fog light kit", found...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
All our trucks only have the 2 headlights and 2 fogs, so no problems there.

You run into problems if you have Brite Box along with fogs that stay on with the high beams.......
Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 AM

I got my fog lights in yesterday from Ebay, the seller was "Mopar2U". I think the kit with shipping was $130 or so. I'm back at work now, so it'll be a week or so before I get them hooked up.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MX429
After everything was wired up, I cut on the fogs. They worked!!! They work on park lamp mode, headlight low beam mode, and.......head light high beam mode!!!!!!!

I believe that if the scan tool is connected to the vehicle and the fog light option is enabled so that the control module knows the fogs are there, it will cut them off during high beam operation in accordance with regulations.
Interesting ... I did the exact same thing on my pre-wired '05 with the same results EXCEPT that the fogs don't stay on with the high beams. I've never had the truck to the dealer since it was new so I guess maybe the '05s were set that way at the factory while the '06s weren't ..... ?????
Old 01-30-2008, 12:58 AM

That's great news I didn't like the idea of having to go into the dealer just to get the lights to work. It's even better that I can I have the option to run them even with the high beams on. Thanks

Quick Reply: Installed Mopar fog lights--interesting result