3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

install-fog lights and tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
install-fog lights and tow hooks

i just wanted to check to see if anyone has installed the dodge fog light kit or tow hook kit from dodge?i bought the tow hook kit and glanced at the tow hook instructions.looks like you have to remove the bumper.dodge said you would have to remove it anyway for the light kit,so i thought i would wait and do it all at once.just checking to see how long the job may take,and any problems,or easy just time consuming.thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2003, 11:20 PM

Re:install-fog lights and tow hooks

I have done both installs. You don't have to remove the bumper to do the fog lamps but you will for the tow hooks. The lamps are by far easier to install than the hooks due to the marking of the bumper to make sure it goes back into place. I had a hell of a time getting my bumper back on. The directions for both kits are in my opinion junk. My tow hook kit was missing some nuts so I purchased some from the local Napa. <br><br>If you have an auto you can drill a hole in the fire wall where the clutch pedal would have gone if you had a manual to fish your wire harness through for your fog lamps. <br><br>I am selling my lamps to PADAZZ and will be documenting instructions and taking pics and sending a burned CD with the kit so he can install it with ease. If your interested I can take some pics of the hooks as well, I'm taking those off if I have the time.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:02 AM

I also installed the tow hook kit. You do not have to completely remove the front bumper, I was able to loosen up all the bolts that were pointed out in the kit and move it out of the way enough to get the hooks in. Had to use a set of offset wrenches to get the mounting bolts/nuts tightened down, but I think I probably ended up wrestling around with it alot less than it sounds like TON4FUN did. Probably took me about an hour to get them in and get the bumper squared up, would have been less had I had a helper. They look really nice, and they seem very heavy duty. Alot more sturdy than the ones they put on the GM trucks. Has anyone ever looked at one of those? I'd stand clear of that if I ever had to yank one out of the ditch.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:22 AM

[quote author=rydblue link=board=17;threadid=11524;start=0#109670 date=1046354520]<br>I also installed the tow hook kit. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I'm confused. Don't the tow hooks come standard? At least on the 4x4's?<br><br>JOe
Old 02-27-2003, 08:23 AM

The cool thing about having the tow hook option is you lose the plastic panel in the bumper. This makes it easy to reroute the engine block heater connector. I removed it from the upper connector and routed it down lower into the bumper. Now you can just reach into the bumper, pull out the connector and hook it up. No need to open the hood. ;D
Old 02-27-2003, 08:27 AM

The tow hooks dont come standard, unless you order a Laramie. The only way to get them otherwise is to order the protection group for $95 which includes the transfer case skid plate and the tow hooks. It was one of the few options not ordered on my truck. I would have checked the box had I done the ordering myself (dealer ordered this one).
Old 02-27-2003, 10:24 AM

I was wondering what the protection group had.<br><br>I have the tow hooks and the skid plate from the factory.<br><br>Am adding the mopar add on fogems...still waitng for the new part number on the fog lights to come in. It has black bezels for the fog light surround (like th 03 trucks have from the factory) in lieu of the dark gray the 02 trucks had.<br><br>I am still waiting on which switch the kit will come with. To date the latest and greatest fog light kit is still on backorder from Mopar Accessories.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:27 AM

Yeah you could do it with the bumper loose I just wanted to use my impact to remove the bolts holding the bumper brackets so I opted to remove the whole thing. I think my total install time was about an hour. Like I said the biggest pain is getting the bumper lined back up the right way.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:36 PM

thanks for the info.i installed both today.i did not have to remove the bumper,and did 1 side at a time.the fogs were fairly easy.seems like removing the headlight was the frustating part.you just have to pull hard.did not want to break it.i wish the fogs were able to turn on without the lights,or low beams only.there must be a way to hook it up the other way.directions said into white with dark green.wonder if it was hooked up to the white/light green,they would work on both?