3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Injector Issues - CAN they be resolved??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNOWMANX -

Look at it this way:
Only 10% of all 3rd GEN owners experienced FUEL INJECTOR problems. Of that 10%, an average of 70% of them had PRESSURE BOXES.

I wish the percentage of problems were lower but it is just something that has to be watched.

I was in the market for a truck and I looked at all of them. I was going to get a NISSAN TITAN. I think they look tough and I thought NISSAN was a great brand name. WRONG!

I went on forums and read about all these problems with the Titan truck:
Exploding differentials, power windows failing, squeaks and rattles, wind noise and leaks from the body panels and windows, interior trim falling apart, etc.

How did Nissan fix the problem with the differentials??? They just had the factory put in synthetic fluid and add a larger cover. Or otherwise known as a BAND-AID.

The Nissan Titan factory was THE NATIONS WORST ASSEMBLY PLANT when it came to QC. It was rated as a DISASTER by JD Powers.

I then looked at FORD (A LOT OF ENGINE PROBLEMS) and Chevy. The Chevy was 2nd place but due to PRICE and LOOKS, I went with DODGE. Chevy shares the same injectors as we have along with the same issues.

Maybe they will come out with better injectors and once they are out. I would buy them or have the factory install them. That would make our trucks almost BULLET-PROOF.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:13 PM

So when you take the 70% of failures who had pressure boxes you are now down to about 3%, which isn't great but is a heck of a lot better than 10%. I realy like the truck so far and I know once I start towing with it I'll probably never go back.

Just hope I got one of the trucks that will run for 200,000+ miles without a hiccup! LOL
Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
I was in the market for a truck and I looked at all of them. I was going to get a NISSAN TITAN. I think they look tough and I thought NISSAN was a great brand name. WRONG!

I went on forums and read about all these problems with the Titan truck:
Exploding differentials, power windows failing, squeaks and rattles, wind noise and leaks from the body panels and windows, interior trim falling apart, etc.
HAHA....i used to work for Nissan for 3 years....just before the Titan came out.......want to ask how many power window acctuators i have done??? I could do them in my sleep, in under 10 mins...and this was about 3 years ago with the Frontier! (IIRC job only paid 0.5) AND i loved squeaks and rattles...... ....but honestly....its all in how pickey the ower is.....and some were very picky! AND the Sentra with the sticking Heater blend doors......their fix....yank the DASH and replace all the foam on the doors....those i got good at thoes too.....got them down to an hour.......paid 4 hrs wnty but heck...i was doing about 5 a week!.......ahhhh thoes were the days!!! BUT i still loved my 91 Nissan Hard Body PU...that thing was bullet proof! Hijack done....sorry.....memories!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 AM

I'm wondering what a tapping injector sounds like? I mean I read about this problem that's gathered so many postings, and say to myself would I even know if such a thing were happening to my truck..Someone enlighten me please.

GoodoleBob
Old 09-26-2006, 05:40 PM

I agree with Goodolbob, there are a few of us here who are still fairly new to diesel engines and couldn't tell you if we had a problem or potential problem with an injector by the sounds its making. These engines are noisy anyway and when I listen I here the injectors firing but couldn't tell you what would be considered excessive noise. To me the injectors sound like a gasser with a sticky lifter. They are louder when cold but not so much when the truck warms up but allways there with a ticking sound. And it seems to me that there is one injector that is louder than the rest, so I would love to hear from somebody that could help clear this up for us less experienced diesel truck owners.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:18 PM

Another newbie here - bought the truck in February, didn't have any trouble until just under 12K miles. I was about 200 miles into a 400 mile highway trip, and I got off for food. When I restarted about 10 minutes later, the engine was idling rough and smoking. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a leaking injector (#3). They didn't have one in stock and it took about 4 days to get the truck fixed. Almost immediately the trouble returned, and the dealer diagnosed the problem as a 'questionable' injector (#2). This time, it took 2 weeks to get the part. It's been about 4 days since the last visit to the dealer, and everything seems fine now.

I just wonder how long before the next injector failure...

Bob
Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 PM

BOBGUINDON -

What year is your truck?
Do you run a 7 micron or 10 micron filter?
Do you run any additives?
Have you done the fuel tank vent FIX?

It would be interesting to know...
Old 09-27-2006, 03:37 PM

pet05

The truck is a 2006. I am using the factory stock filter. I just started using Power Service Diesel Kleen, but I started using it after the replacement of the 2nd injector. Yes I've had the fuel tank vent fix - at least the factory recall version of it.

When the dealer replaced the first injector, they told me that I wasn't driving the truck hard enough, and warned me about excessive idling. Trouble is, while I don't do any heavy towing or carry any heavy loads yet, I do run the truck at highway speeds (and then some) virtually every day. I use the truck for work, and, while things have been a bit slower than usual, I still managed to rack up 13K miles since we bought the truck at the end of February.

Finally, as far as idling is concerned, unless I'm sitting in traffic or in the drive-thru at McDonalds, when I'm stopped, so is the engine...

Bob
Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 PM

The "idling" reason they gave is bologna . The dealer will ALWAYS try and blame the driver of the vehicle for the vehicle problems. They never want to take blame. The SERVICE MANUAL from DC states that the truck SHOULD IDLE after driven on the highway to get the EGT temps down. Sometimes up to 5 minutes.

The FACTORY vent fix, IMO, along with others here, is lame at best. Dust, sand, dirt, water, etc. can still enter into those tubes. See my post titled:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=117209

I would do the following:
Vent Tank MOD fix
Run a 7 micron filter
Run PS & MM in each tank
Do NOT run a high pressure box (if you mod)

Either the injectors were BAD from the factory OR dirt is entering into your system. If you keep dropping injectors I would have them check your fuel tank for debris.

When's the last time you changed your fuel filter????
Old 09-28-2006, 06:35 AM

The fuel filter was changed at 12K. The dealer was recommending that I wait until 15K, but I wasn't interested in risking my investment (in the truck) over the cost of a fuel filter. I'll see about getting a better (finer) filter.

I'm thinking that they only caught part of the problem the first time around, because I've finally had a week of trouble-free starting and idling.

Maybe I should have gone for the Hemi.. The wife's '04 Durango now has almost 70K on it, with not a single engine/drivetrain related problem.

There's a Cummins facility about 45 minutes from here, and I'm considering getting a second opinion from them (at my expense, obviously), if I have any more issues.

Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
PCM

Originally Posted by bobguindon
pet05

The truck is a 2006. I am using the factory stock filter. I just started using Power Service Diesel Kleen, but I started using it after the replacement of the 2nd injector. Yes I've had the fuel tank vent fix - at least the factory recall version of it.

When the dealer replaced the first injector, they told me that I wasn't driving the truck hard enough, and warned me about excessive idling. Trouble is, while I don't do any heavy towing or carry any heavy loads yet, I do run the truck at highway speeds (and then some) virtually every day. I use the truck for work, and, while things have been a bit slower than usual, I still managed to rack up 13K miles since we bought the truck at the end of February.

Finally, as far as idling is concerned, unless I'm sitting in traffic or in the drive-thru at McDonalds, when I'm stopped, so is the engine...

Bob
Same here, BOB. I only idle my truck while at a traffic light or long enough to cool it down after hard driving as I do tow an rv from time to time. As far as it just setting and idling, I DO NOT. But they say I hae 68 hours of idle time on a truck with 20k miles. It's going in the shop today for the same problem I had before when they changed out injector number 2. This worries me that its going to be an onging problem. Not very happy about it.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Back some time ago I was having a fuel related problem that didn't seem to go away with cleaners on my '03 305/555. One dealer had a real good diesel tech, and diagnosed it as a malfunctioning FCA on the CP3. He was good enough to explain the tests he did in straight english, and assured me it was not an injector issue. Not long after that trip the funny/rough idle came back. Maybe 10k miles later. That tech moved out of my area, but I got lucky and found my original tech that I've had since my '99. We got together and he set up his DRBIII in my truck and told me to watch the load reading as I went down the road. Even at full throttle it took awhile to reach 100% load. He also checked my duty-cycle. It read that I had over 33% idle time out of total run hours. I asked how could that be. Turns out idle as a measurement to D-C and Cummins is load of 1-10%. After telling me that, I watched the DRB again and noticed as I was driving that load rarely went over 10%. He said the similar thing that I wasn't driving the truck hard enough. His training was that the motor is happiest at 30-40% load. I started driving the truck with OD off alot more often. No hot-******* by any means but definately much more spirited driving. The truck did start running better, and the mileage wasn't off that much at all. I want to say that it got quieter also. Don't want to come off as preaching or even stating opinion, just wanted to share my experience in this section. New truck seems noisier than other '06s, but no problems yet. PS every tank. Mopar filter every 10k.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 PM
PCM

Thats a very interesting theory and one in which I'm going to share with my service guy when I pick up the truck. I asked him how the idle time was measured - if was when the truck was only park or neutral??? Honestly, can't remember what he said. If it's load, that would explain a lot as my truck is a daily driver. Only about 6k of the miles is towing use. I will try to update the post with his comments. THANKS! PCM
Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 PM
PCM

I have had number 2 injector replaced at 19k miles after having the same issues you describe. A thousand miles later, I'm having the same isssue again. I dropped off the truck last night and just found out today that Dodge is going to replace all the injectors and do some kind of reprogram. Some of the "officials" from Dodge just happened to be in the dealership today and evaluated my truck. Of course, the dealership did not have all the parts, so it will be 2 weeks befopre I can get the work done. I hope this fixes my smoke and rough idle at start up. pcm
Old 09-21-2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by xeon
Pretty sure this is the thread you are talking about:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=89005

I only have 1200 miles on my truck, so I really have no input on this thread.

But I am wondering what the injector tick sounds like? I think I might have it... I just thought it was deisel, as this is my first diesel truck. Sorry to hijack the thread...
I have a ticking too since day one(12000 miles n the truck when I got it, 37,000 miles now).

How do you know if you have an injector issue...if my gasloine truck sounded liek my diesel, I'd be VERY afraid!! LOL

Quick Reply: Injector Issues - CAN they be resolved??