3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Injector Issues - CAN they be resolved??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Injector Issues - CAN they be resolved??

This INJECTOR issue that is plaguing on 3rd Gen Trucks has THREE MAIN CONTRIBUTORS:

1 - The fuel vent RECALL needs to be done on ALL 3rd Gen Trucks. The 2 fuel tank vents MUST have a hose attached and then it must have a filter attached to keep water and debris from entering our gas tanks.

2 - We need BETTER fuel filters. Right now the Fleetguard is the only 7 micron FACTORY filter. I was reading that we need a 5 or 2 micron filter. Right now, only the AFTERMARKET carries such filters BUT installing an aftermarket filtering setup WILL VOID our warranty on all fuel related system items.

3 - Lastly, the EPA has made diesel fuel HARD on the fuel systems that we have. Just like when they REMOVED Lead from gasolines back in the 60's - early 70's, it caused A LOT of problems on cars that did not have hardened valve seats. The same problem is happening to our diesel trucks. The restrictions is causing our fuel delivery systems to FAIL. That is why I run Marvel Mystery and Power Service in my fuel to BETTER LUBRICATE the parts and KEEP IT CLEANER.

So, we are left with this dielmma. The factory HAS FAILED to address the above first 2 issues which HAVE BEEN CAUSING the injectors to fail. We need BETTER filters, the vent tanks need to be recalled, and we need some additives in our diesel fuel.

I have read and studied this topic for some time. For now, in order to KEEP my warranty, all I can do is run a Fleetguard 7 Micron Fuel Filter, fix the tank vents and run Marvel Mystery along with Power Service in each tank. All 3 items should make it a better running fuel system. Until a 5 or 2 micron filter is developed by Fleetguard WE ARE STUCK with the 7 micron.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:46 AM

I dont think its as big of a problem as you think.
Most trucks have no problems what so ever.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
My feeling also
Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see these issues as a "plague"

Sounds more like a complainer.

120,000 miles on my trucks with zero injector issues.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:07 AM

"QUOTE" 1 - The fuel vent RECALL needs to be done on ALL 3rd Gen Trucks. The 2 fuel tank vents MUST have a hose attached and then it must have a filter attached to keep water and debris from entering our gas tanks.

I thought thr missing vent recall was only on 06's?
Is my 04.5 effected?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 AM

I added the Glacier Diesel Power 2-micron kit to my truck for piece of mind. I know this should be Dodges problem and dollar, but I'm not for wasting time worrying or waiting for Dodge to fix this. $196 (total, including shipping) was worth it to me to put this behind me.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe that at least the 04's on up have the possability of open vents on the top of the tanks. I have heard of a few people being charged for dirt in fuel from leaks at the top of the tanks so yes think it should effect a few more years than currently covered.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
I don't see these issues as a "plague"

Sounds more like a complainer.

Funny...I don't think this guy is "complaining"...the injector problems are real may not be a "plague" nevertheless a valid observation. Maybe he should have rephrased his opening statement.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:35 PM

My 03 had open vents. I do think the fuel filter issue ought to be addressed by D.C. Bosch calls for 5 micron to absoulute on all their HPCR systems no matter what the application.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Im really knocking on a huge piece of wood here but i have not had any problems with my fuel system (71,000 miles). And all i run is factory mopar fuel filters and change them every 12,000 and a ocasional bottle of BG if i think about it. I also believe that if ULSD was brought in earlier that 3rd gens would have less injector problems due to a cleaner running fuel. Carbon and soot are the real killers. I work on them everyday and have probably have been into and repaired more then most on this board.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 PM

I changed all six of my injectors, at 299,000 miles. They were not stopped up, they were sutted up, probably because of the high pressure relief valve failure. Until then, no problems at all.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 PM

What is ULSD?

I bought some new DELO and it had it stated that it now comes with ULSD....
Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 PM

ultra low sulpher diesel
Old 09-18-2006, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my take on these injector issues. More then a few people are having issues with their injectors on the 3rd Gen trucks. Today I was in Edmonton and heard 4 out of 5 3rd Gens that I seen with a tapping injector.
In the past two years I have talked to more then a few people whom have all had injector problems, but being that most were told and believed that a knock or a tick was normal for a diesel. Needless to say a few meaning more then three of them had severe injector proplems that left them stranded on the side of the road.
Bottom line is Chrysler would not have switched to a 7 micron at 98% effeciency absolute if they had not seen that they had a problem with the 3rd Gen injectors and fuel systems.
I have to laugh when people respond to serious questions about problems and finding solutions with a "no it isnt a problem atttitude". Sounds to me that dealership itis has sunk into alot of peopel around these here forums.

I mean the A/C problems on one or two 3rg Gens ended up being a problem on more then a handfull of trucks, and still plagues the 06 model..... that does not sound like complaining, it sounds like a fact.

Cummins is finding out that they themselves are having problems with the newer CR systems in their own applications, Not to the extent that Dodge Owners are. And thus they ignored it up untill recently when more then a handfull of their engines were expierancing similar if not worse problems with fuel systems. Hence the respec on the fuel filter.

Now for electrical problems, it seems that more then a few trucks have or are dealing with corroded connections through out the trucks. these include tail lights, head lights, ECM, PCM, TCM dash components, over heating of A/C controls and the list can go on. Although these problems seem isolated they are not.
Diff problems, U joint problems, power steering connected to brake problems.

I guess as Ed the Sock would say "if you have nothing good to say then say it often".
I have seen on this and other sites where people have commented ohh it is only an isolated incident, or man what are you doing to your truck, I have 200,000miles on mine and no problems, then all of a sudden they will have one or more of the above and maybe even more problems. Then they come back and comment wow I can not beleive it happend to me also.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that if you are expeirencing a well running truck then great. I am really glad for you. But DO NOT COME ON HERE OR OTHER PLACES AND TRY TO BELITTLE OR DEGRADE ANOTHER PERSONS POST by stating that they are only complaining. AT the end of the day "YOU' are the person whom is complaining and probelly have very little clue as to what how or why is happening to yours or others trucks.

Cheers.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 AM

Mine are fine at 35K miles. I've had an injector tapping from the get go, but it doesn't allow fuel to bleed through, and I get good mileage (17.5 mixed highway / rush hour / town). It goes away for a while after I drag some weight around (only occasionally). I don't think it's as big an issue as some make it out to be. I'm going to have mine on I80 from Chicago to the RMNP in a couple of weeks, and I figure that running it at 80mph for 14 or 15 hours should clean the injectors up pretty well.

Quick Reply: Injector Issues - CAN they be resolved??