3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ingintion key microchip removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ingintion key microchip removal

I just peeled the rubber cover off my ignition key and noticed a microchip underneath. I assume that if I remove the chip the truck won't start. Is there anyway to bypass this feature? I hate these bulky keys that every new car or truck comes with. I just want and old school metal key that lays flat on my key ring. Thanks

ChuCk
Old 03-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Tire Hater

That's actually an option. My truck doesn't have a SKIM key, but is just as bulky. You can disable the SKIM at the dealer.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:57 PM

Thanks John. I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow.

cHUck
Old 03-24-2005, 06:37 AM
rws

I don't like the rubber **** either. I carry keys for 3 vehicles, and take the rubber off each one. Makes carrying much easier. And I don't carry those remote do-hickies either. On that note, I really don't like not having a key slot on the right side door. What's up with that?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO right door key lock. Save $20 bucks and market as additional security.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Let us know what the dealer says. I think I read somewhere that the only way around the engine emobilizer system was to replace the computer... Maybe that's only if you don't have a code key available?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 AM

NO right door key lock. Save $20 bucks and market as additional security.

My brother read back in '03 that Dodge planned to hold down costs by cutting out unnecessary things (like That). We have noticed a lot of little differences between his early built '03 St. louis, and my late built '03. Things like a little piece of flat metal on the hood latch for lifting the hood, or a cheap piece of foam glued on to the front pillar where the door closes, instead of a molded screwed on piece, etc. Not really big issues, but don't they make enough money on these trucks(LOL!)? The ones built in Mexico save them enough I'm sure! The one thing his didn't come with was a HO in early '03, because they didn't have the 48RE yet.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My jeep I just bought has that same stupid giant key on it. Let me know how the disable thing at the dealer works. I would like to do the same thing.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned

I got the P0633 error. Which i was told ment the SKIM wasnt programed for my PCM. Yet my truck continues to start and run. I would suggest you make a copy of the key see if it runs and if it does the SKIM doesnt mean crap and take it off. Just what i am experiencing right now
Old 03-25-2005, 08:49 AM

Make a duplicate key at the hardware store (a flat one) start the truck with the duplicate while holding your transponder key under you dash. The truck should start, take the original key and zip tie it under your dash, or seperate the clam shell on your steering column and glue it inside. This way you can have emergency key stashed just in case, or if you are worried you can cut the key part off and just hide the key head.

Good luck
Old 03-25-2005, 11:14 AM

why would you want to disable an anti theft feature like the chipped key

and end up like danram11... his truck was stolen
Old 03-25-2005, 12:10 PM

I'm not worried about the security feature. If someone is going to steal the SKIM feature isn't stopping them. All I want is a METAL key. I'll try the key under the column trick and get a regular key made at Sears or something. I'll keep ya posted with details.

ChuCk
Old 03-25-2005, 01:23 PM

The SKIM feature will stop them from stealing your rig. No start No steal! The truck will absolutley not start if you don't have that chip key to start it with.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:43 PM

The SKIM feature will stop them from stealing your rig. No start No steal! The truck will absolutley not start if you don't have that chip key to start it with
Agree. Having had TWO vehicles stolen, I would NEVER want to be without this feature. THey may attempt to hotwire the truck, but it won't work.

I'm not worried about the security feature. If someone is going to steal the SKIM feature isn't stopping them. All I want is a METAL key.
Well, WarNerve, it's YOUR truck. I don't know where in PA you are, but here in the Philly suburbs, theft is a HUGE problem.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:53 PM

That fat key thing won't stop a thief with a wrecker, will it? That's what most around here use. The discount the insurance companies offer for it isn't worth the hassle of having them. I heard a dup of a chipped key is about $80!!! My Ram doesn't have the factory alarm, so no fat key. WIfe's Liberty does. I'll take mine.

Quick Reply: Ingintion key microchip removal