3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Infinity w/6 Disc - Any fixes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocky and BigJimbo, you guys both have the 6 disc infinity system?....

You have to take the ONE 7mm capscrew out from above the trash bag holder (I guess that's what it is) tug on it and the whole face of the dash system comes off. Unscrew the (4) 7mm capscrews holding down the head unit and it falls right out. On the back of the head unit is the plug in, be sure to look at it from the female side and the retaining clip(keeping it in the head unit) is UP...

Now, you'll see some empty slots; take small screwdrive and push the white retainer away from the plug(perpendicular to the female slot) Once you move the white retainer (1/8") BE CAREFULL, this is what holds all the plugs in...but now 7 and 8 will come out with ease. Assembly just goes backwards, let me know if you have any other questions.Poor Speaker TSB
Old 12-10-2004, 04:52 AM

I can't thank you enough Tfeore, for your help---I will try and do this on Sat. my day off----I have only had my truck a couple of days----the little I have drove it/all seems well. I ordered it the way I wanted----so looking forward to many years of service. This is my FIRST Dodge!!
Where do I look for TSB's---I saw Geno's ad on it---do I go there???
thanks again R
Old 12-10-2004, 12:49 PM

Tfeore, I do have the 6cd Infinity system. My plug doesn't have any wires in the 7 and 8 slot. I looked in the shop manual and it shows there should be four wires in the top row for the front speakers and 4 wires in the bottom row for the rear speakers. I just have the ones for the rear speakers in the bottom row of the plug! There is no radio listed in the manual that has that wire combination.
On the TDR site I saw where OHale had the same problem and they were going to replace his wiring harness, but I don't belong to that site so I can't contact him to see what happened with his unit.
When my CD player broke last week the dealer installed a new unit and that unit has no sound at all and they have ordered another unit. I wonder if it has something to do with the plug missing wires?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Chapter President

Big Jimbo, ...where are you located in Phoenix? We could look at it together if you want. Do all of your speakers work...PM we can look at your VIN and tell exactly what options you are supposed to have. My wiring harnes had about 12 wires comming from it. Let me know... My TDR expired in Nov...
Tom

Addition:Are you looking at the wiring harness at the back of the head unit itself? You must have power to it so there needs to be more than 8 wires...
Old 12-12-2004, 05:40 PM

The dealer put in another new 6cd player on Friday and so far it works great. For some reason it seems to sound much better than the original and I am now very satisfied with it! The unit also doesn't seem to do as much grinding and banging when changing CDs. I wonder if they have made some improvements to the unit?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:10 PM

After I take the single screw out of the bag hook I am having trouble getting the rest of the dash to come off. Do I need a special body panel tool to get the radio out? What part should I be pulling on?
Old 12-15-2004, 02:32 PM

You don't need a special tool. If you pull on the hook and above the ash tray it should pop off. Watch out for the wires plugged into the panel when it pops off.