3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Infinity w/6 Disc - Any fixes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. I was going to check the wiring myself before taking it to the dealer. Eventually I want to replace the head unit with the RB1 navigation unit.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:00 PM

I looked at the radio plug-in that is shown in the TSB and my harness doesn't even have the four front speaker wires on the top row of the plug! It only has the rear speaker wires on the lower row of plug wires!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:11 PM

Is this problem unique to the six cd changer radio? My '04 has the standard single CD radio. Sounds fine to me, but then, I have some hearing loss from 45+ years of Harley riding. I was looking on ebay at changing to the Infinity cd/cassette radio, but saw a six cd radio out of an '05. Any problems with the six cd unit? I'm planning on just leaving my stock speakers in place. With my hearing, they are all I need.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Chapter President

Mine sounded like junk for the last 11 months, I looked at the TSB and switched the wires myself. It sounds a lot better now!!!! I know the dealer should have done it but why wait for my truck to get ignored for 2 days when I can just do it myself. System still sounds less than superior in my opinion. It will do for now untill I can convince my wife we need an in dash DVD system....
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 AM

I have to do the same thing with the treble and the bass to be able to listen. I'm really hoping it is the polarity problem. Between the 70mph drone and a crappy sound system - riding in my truck is an auditory nightmare.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 AM

I took it in twice for the same distorted sound. The first time they said the door panels were vibrating, so they put some kind of tape between the front door panels and speakers on both sides. The buzzing stopped, but sound was still not clear. The second time I brought the TSB in and asked it be performed. Instead they listened to it, and determined the front (dash) speakers were bad. Since they have replaced the speakers, the sound is much better, but they sidestepped the door speaker wire issue. I doubt they even looked. I have noticed I can actually use the bass control in the upper half of it's range which I never could before. Not sure how dash speakers helped there, but they did. I will have check the wires myself one day soon and call them on it (or not). I would encourage anyone having this problem to keep on their dealer and be to persistent.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:27 PM

My cd changer quit working so I went to the dealer today and they put in a new unit. Now there is no sound from the radio or the cd! The dealer ordered another radio so next week I will see if that one works. I didn't even want to mention the TSB until they get the system to make some kind of noise.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:34 PM

Probably a good idea to save the TSB for later Big Jimbo. I take my truck in for one problem at a time - that's all my five star dealer can handle.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:41 PM

I think you are right mmead. I brought in the TSB for the Flash and they had never heard of it before. I am sure they will roll their eyes when they see the TSB on the stereo speaker wires. If they can get the radio to work I think I will check out the wires myself.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM

Same problem here, it's just too boomin.

The TSB for the reversed wires sounded like the oppsite. No bass. I'm going to check mine myself.

Is this specific to the 6-disc? If so and RB1 would be a nice way to take care of the problem.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Chapter President

I switched the wires at the head unit. Took a couple of beers to figure it out but I got'er done. The white retainer pushes out then the wires come out no problem, switched 8&7 now I have lots of bass and the sound is much better (Sports Talk mostly)
Old 12-09-2004, 08:11 AM

My plug has no wires in the 7 or 8 position. Has anyone else seen this? I checked the wiring diagram in the service manual and didn't find any radio without any wires for 7 and 8 position.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:28 PM

Question pont me to the TSB

I also have this problem--can some one point me te way to the TSB--also can someone please share how hard it is to switch the wires at the head unit----is this all done to the back of the player---or do you have to pull it out?? thanks,R

Quick Reply: Infinity w/6 Disc - Any fixes yet?