3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

If you tighten a trac bar, does the socket mark the bolt head?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you tighten a trac bar, does the socket mark the bolt head?

Because I see no fresh marks on either trac bar bolt heads or nuts but the dealer said they did in the L16 recall I just did.

Should I care? I'm fixing to drive up the dealership to go inquire.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even if you just bumped it with the torque wrench and socket, I would think there would be some sort of mark on them. Depending on the rust/paint it would be more visible.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doubt it, I took mine out last week bolt looked the same, even was still all oilly.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I took it in, explained my concern and why. I never got an admission of anything they did or didn't do, from anyone. The service guy didn't say a word after our initial conversation and his report back to wait a few minutes while he talked to the shop guy (forgot what he called him). Soon I was asked for my keys. When I asked why and where the truck was going the guy got a bit irritated at me, probably that I asked such a dumb question. I know where it was going but I'm not just going to hand over the keys to my truck without an explanation. I asked the guy that we go look at it. He reluctantly agreed. You know the typical irritated guy reaction that a woman "wants to talk". heh I looked him in the eye, half laughed and said 'What you do with Chrysler is between you and Chrysler. But you didn't do a job on my truck that you told me you did". He started to give me angry lip but caught himself. I think he figured out that wouldn't be the best thing to do at that moment. I handed the keys then stayed outside and waited. Not long 15min tops, soon my truck was back. The tech got under and showed me the work he did. I shook his hand, told him thank you and I appreciate him taking care of it. Hopped in and drove off.

I took pics before I went over there. Here is the pside bolt at the axle, the one that was the important one

Before (and supposedly tightened on May 1)

After (tightened today May 4)

I guess to be fair I should in three days take a photo to see how rusty those new marks get.

Anyway, I'm irritated that I was told work was done when it wasn't. Shouldn't matter who's paying for it. And it shouldn't matter how large or small the job is. It is these kind of things that cause the public to be so leary of dealerships, or any repair center for that matter. I realize not all places do questionable things, but those bad apples stick out. This particular dealership I've given public praise for before. So I know they can do good things. I'm disappointed they hurt me lol
Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Way to go. Got to keep them on there toes.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 PM

Im sure there alot of people who have worked at a dealership,,, but here is why this happened, EXAMPLE- lets sat chrysler will only pay the dealership 20 time minutes to do your L16, but usualy not even the best tech can do it in 20 time minutes, the teck looses say 10 minutes on this job and he so he only gets paid for the time given by chrysler, so at the end of working 8 hours the teck gets payed for working 6 hours that day, so the service guys have to creat little extra things to help the tech make atleast his 8 hours that day, granted it may not seem right to some but they didnt mean to cheat you in any way, just trying to help there tech make his time he spent pay him. This isnt done on customer pay jobs, atleast anywhere I have worked.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 AM

Send the dealer service department a copy of this thread... explaining that SOME people are regulars on popular forums... and one bad review on a forum CAN hurt 'em.