3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

To Idle Or not to Idle??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another consideration with extended idling is trans temp. The stock 48re valve body does not allow the tranny to pump fluid when in park, but (correct me if I'm wrong), it does pump in neutral. So if that is in fact the case, then if you are going to idle it for awhile when the misses is shopping, transmission wise, you'd be better off idling in neutral rather than park. This is yet another good reason to have a trans temp guage, so you can see what's happening with your slush box.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So. we have a 98.5, 1. Im i wrong when i say they dont make a high idler for out trucks(beside a stick) amd 2. we have a 47re Don't we?(trannys aint my specialty...trying to learn tho), does that pump in park or is it like the 48re?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:39 PM

the tech at dodge told me i had excessive carbon buildup on the injectors cause i let it idle too long. that , in turn caused my truck to run roughly.

i never let it idle more than 5 minutes, i think i just had bad gas.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
Big rigs don't "idle" all night...they run at 850-1100RPM, depending on the brand!

The problem with idling you're Cummins, is not so much wash down (at least not with stock injectors), but your 24v can get "cold" EGT's, and begin to build up carbon on the valves. If enough builds up, it can bend pushrods. Not a common failure, but not unheard of either!!

Bottom line, you can leave it idle for a few minutes, but beyond that, idle it up...at least 11-1200RPM! That keeps everything buning right where it should be

Chris

Besides, don't you CR guys have that Cruise Control high idler??? Cheaters...I have to use a stick

Chris, do you have a link or a thread where somebody on this board had a bent pushrod from excessive idling??

I have not heard of ANYBODY on this board saying their engine failed from excessive idling.

I do have the high idle feature on my truck and I use it quite often in the winter. But I don't use it in the summer. Dang...as hot as it is here I can't imagine that it is running TO COOL. It keeps a load on it anyway just from the A/C running.

Like I said earlier, I don't really idle mine excessively. But I still don't recall anybody having a failure from it. I think it's a nonexistent concern. These engines don't have to be pampered like that. Idle it all day if you want. Or dont. My 2 cents.

Again........please show me some documented proof of a failure if anybody can find one. I am not being argumentative. I am just not convinced that it is a problem.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:02 AM

Im not sure the name but theres a hotshotter here that at least use to if he still does (fuel prices) idle his truck all night long at the rest stops just like the big rigs. haven't heard anything negative from that yet either.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:42 AM

I am 50/50 on this "debate" also. Personally I dont see anything wrong with it, but what I cannot get over is how extended (even 10-15 mins.) idling will send your MPG in the toilet .
Old 07-29-2006, 08:48 AM

A 3.9 4BT is basically identical to a 5.9 6BT and many of those 4BT's were used as stationary engines. In certain types of gensets or pumps they would likely idle until a call for power comes [as far as I know] so that may shed some light on the question?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:56 AM

Talking

i dont know much about the 3rd gens but a 3rd gen owner told me his truck{04 auto}has an auto idle feature,if he leaves it in park and has the ebrake on for 5 min the idle jumps up,is this true?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by duallydave
i dont know much about the 3rd gens but a 3rd gen owner told me his truck{04 auto}has an auto idle feature,if he leaves it in park and has the ebrake on for 5 min the idle jumps up,is this true?
Yes, if it is cold outside, and the brake or accellerator have not been touched.
Its been a few months, but I think it goes to about 1000 RPM, instead of the normal 750 or so
Old 07-29-2006, 10:51 AM

Maybe this is proof , this is a old one and still holds true for the 3rd gens also. This is from Cummins and includes our Dodge ISB, All those Road truck you see idling at Truck Stops are usually idling around 1100 to 1200 RPM, the one's that don't run a high idle are the one's that come in with high oil usage and complain about slobber coming out of the exhaust. and the reason is the combustion temps drops so low at low idle they dont have a complete burn and wash down the cylinders , these are the guys that never reach a full engine life either. but that is ok , more money for the engine shops right

TOSS No. Rev. Level TOSS Date Group No.
TT000209 – 06-Jan-2000 02
Expiration Date (U.S. and Canada): – Expiration Date (International): –
Engine
Family Fuel
System Plant Build Date
From To
6B, ISB, QSB5.9, B5.9 Bosch VP44 - ISB Default 01-Jan-1997 31-Dec-9999
Design Application Market Application
All All

ISB Sticking Valves/Bent Push Tubes
As the ambient air temperatures have started to drop in our Northern Regions we are reminding the field, by this Thursday Note, on the ISB sticking valve/bent push tube issue. The 4 valve cylinder head on the ISB runs at a cooler temperature, which in some cases is allowing tar to condense on the exhaust valves. This may result in sticky valves and bent push tubes. The 2 valve head runs at a hotter temperature, thus preventing the tar build up. To reduce the risk, the following recommendations should be followed. This may also be found in the PITs document "JJGN-44BKRU".

STICKING VALVES - SERVICE PLAN

Short Term:

Reactive short term: Repair and clean cylinder head as required.

Proactive short term: To prevent or decrease the risk of this occurring to an engine which frequently idles for long periods of time, Cummins recommends the following :

Use of a winter front on these trucks.
Use of a block heater when engine is idling.
If the truck is already equipped with an exhaust brake, it should be turned on during idle.
Prior to shutting off the engine after extended idling (6 hrs) it is important to bring the engine to operating temperature (minimum of 140°F) to remove any carbon build up on the valves. This can be accomplished by driving the vehicle for 20-30 minutes or:
NON-Chrysler: Operate the engine at high idle for 5 minutes or until the engine reaches 140°F.
Chrysler: Run the truck at 2000 rpm for two minutes, 3000 rpm for two minutes and then 3500 rpm for two minutes, until the engine reaches at least 140°F.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
both of my trucks see high time and if you read what the bulliten says it specifies to run it up to operating temp before shutting down, most people i know dont idle for 6 hrs and then turn it off. once we been down for a while we usaully reach operatin temps real fast due to the fact that we are moving down the road again. have not had any problems caused by idleing and the last truck even had the infamous 53 block and dang it was stil running after only 275k when it raded it in and it idled a lot in temps ranging from 10 degrees to 95.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Banned

During the winter months our trucks will idle for extended periods of time. We wait at the scales, for the sun to come up, or sleep in the trucks when a room is not available @ -30C. So long periods at idle is the norm during these times. The high idle feature gets used alot, we also put them in neutral as well for these rest periods. So far we have not seen any problems by doing so, not that we could do anything about it anyway, who wants to sit in a truck @ - 30 for 5-6 hours? besides @ -30C without the high idle, the truck would never heat up, at 1300 rpm she will stay warm to at least -30C.One thing I did notice is they sure can idle for a long time hardly using any fuel. I was really surprised at how little fuel was used during idle, even @ 1300 rpm.