3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I want a 3rd gen.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a 3rd gen.

Well my daily driver is just about to push just over a 100K and my warranty will be gone. Its a 2003 chevy 2500hd gasser. Ive had it for about 4 and 1/2 years and its been a great truck, but i think im ready to trade. I thought about going with the dmax but i really like the 3rd gen trucks. The only thing holding me back from gettin a dodge is the seat height. Since i am a paraplegic, seat height is really important to me. The lower the better, because that just means less work for me. I can get in a dodge alright, but its a little too high for me to do all the time. Would there be any way to maybe modify the seat to get it to go down lower??
Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 AM

the seat height, or the ride height? Have you tried dropping the electric seat all the way down?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 AM

My electric seats get pretty low if I want them. Between the electric seats and pedals, you should get a comfy position. Get the steering wheel controls for the stereo, and you'll be Cadillacin'....I mean 3rd Genin'!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the Dodge electric seats get as low as any other trucks. For ride height, I think an airbag setup would be awesome if you could afford it, drop it down to get in then raise it up and tower over the rest!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
tell you what: there is a LOT of room under a stock seat.

i would test drive one to a muffler shop / or welding shop,

i bet you could "lower the stock seat" height a few inches,
cut and section the mounting legs.

want me to take some pics with a ruler under there? PM or e-mail me, i will.

hth?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I just need the seat to be as low as i can possibly get it whenever i get into the truck. There is a little difference between my chevy seat lowered all the way down, and a 3rd gen seat lowered down. Plus whenever i get the truck Im sure i'll want to put some bigger tires on it so that will raise it just a tad more. 04ctd, if you could take some pics that would be great
Old 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Any other ideas guys? Would there be any way to maybe put air bags on it to lower the height while i got in the truck? Went with a friend of mine today and test drove a new LMM Dmax/Allison and a 6.7/68rfe. The Dmax felt a little faster, but i liked the dodge 10 times better. Also liked the tranny in the dodge much much better. I took a peak under the seat and there is a LOT of room. If i could get the seat to lower all the way down to the floor it would be great.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
TB, so you are saying i failed to get you pics on time, and you don't need them now? am i fired?

sorry about that....been busy.

A 4x4 only has about an inch of compression travel before it hits the snubber (something else i should have took a pic of

you could do a bit with the rear - search this forum for LOWER and some folks have lowered them.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
Any other ideas guys?
Josh :

Given the fact that winters around our neck of the woods haven't been so bad in recent years, how about considering a 2WD CTD for the daily driver ? That would help your situation the most......then you could keep the beautiful ol' black 12V dually for the inclement weather, as needed.

Greg
Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 PM

I take it your looking for an easier way to get in and out of the truck. How about a set of step bars that hang a bit lower, or can be modified that way? This and a power seat to raise you higher when your in is another option and maybe cheaper.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the two things I didn't like about the 3rd gen is the high hood, compared to my 2nd gen. You better try one out to be sure you can see over it alright. Also, check with DC (or whatever you buy) for rebates for handicapped buyers. My BIL got about $700 to put towards a scooter winch when he and sis bought a Grand Caravan. Good luck! Craig
Old 04-14-2007, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by 12PACK
I take it your looking for an easier way to get in and out of the truck. How about a set of step bars that hang a bit lower, or can be modified that way? This and a power seat to raise you higher when your in is another option and maybe cheaper.
step bars do me more harm than good as i cant get my chair up as close to the truck. Im looking for a way to lower the seat height for when i get in the truck. I am a paraplegic so i am a wheelchair user, the lower the seat height the better, because that means a lot less work for me. I can get in one, its just a struggle, and not something that i want to be doing all the time, and it definitely will take a toll on a set of shoulders after a while. My chevy is high enough already.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by maynard3
Josh :

Given the fact that winters around our neck of the woods haven't been so bad in recent years, how about considering a 2WD CTD for the daily driver ? That would help your situation the most......then you could keep the beautiful ol' black 12V dually for the inclement weather, as needed.

Greg
Ive thought about that quite a bit greg but i just cant bring myself to buy a 2wd. I use the 4x4 on my chevy quite frequently around the farm.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:23 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
It may sound like I am making fun of this situation, but I am serious. Some time back there was a thread about a guy that was in a wheelchair and made a special hoist to get him onto his tractor. I wonder if it is feasible or even practical to have something similar for a pickup? My first thoughts were to attach something to the inside of the door post that could swing out, but then realized that the mechanism may protrude too far into the cab and bother the driver.
If it is a quad cab, then maybe something could be attached behind the front seats. How about installing the entire mechanism on top of the cab and covering it with a second roof to make it look good? These are just some wild initial ideas I am throwing out to maybe get some of you brainy designer types thinking.
How about making this a special DTR project?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
It may sound like I am making fun of this situation, but I am serious. Some time back there was a thread about a guy that was in a wheelchair and made a special hoist to get him onto his tractor. I wonder if it is feasible or even practical to have something similar for a pickup? My first thoughts were to attach something to the inside of the door post that could swing out, but then realized that the mechanism may protrude too far into the cab and bother the driver.
If it is a quad cab, then maybe something could be attached behind the front seats. How about installing the entire mechanism on top of the cab and covering it with a second roof to make it look good? These are just some wild initial ideas I am throwing out to maybe get some of you brainy designer types thinking.
How about making this a special DTR project?
Im also the guy with the tractor hoist. They do make lifts that assist u in the truck but they take for-e-ver and they are thousands of dollars. I think what im going to have to do is figure out a way to get the seat to lower all the way down to the floor. That will put it just about at the same height that my chevy is now. Now, the problem is... whats the best way to do that?

Quick Reply: I want a 3rd gen.