3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I want an 06....don't I?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WACTD
I did extensive research before I purchased my 2006 3500. This is my first truck of any kind, diesel or gasser, so I was starting from ground zero. My Ford and Chevy friends all nagged me to get "their" brand but the choice of Cummins+Dodge was pretty easy.

The question of 2006 vs. "sometime in the future" was cemented when I read about all the 2007 EPA requirements. I have purchased vehicles in their first year after a major redesign and I won't ever do that again if I can help it - I don't like being an unpaid beta test site for all the bugs and problems.

The 2007 will have, for all intents and purposes, a new engine (yikes!) with new emissions (yuck!) and will require the new, more expensive ULSD fuel. On the other hand, the 2006 is running the same Cummins engine they've been shipping for a few years and a few hundred thousand units now, so there's lots of street experience and familiarity out there.

Finally, right now is the best possible time to purchase a 2006... the summer incentives are going strong and the dealers are motivated to get them off their lots before the 2007's start arriving. Zero percent financing (read: use the time-value of DC's money, not your own) is another bonus.

In short: Yes, if you are seriously considering a diesel truck in the near future you should pick up a 2006 now. I suspect 2006 will be viewed as the "sweet spot" for light diesel trucks in the next few years because it will be the last year that they still had more weight in the engine than in the smog equipment.

Well said WACTD...for all the reasons you stated.
However I think the 305 555 is the BEST engine...only because I own one.