3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I got slammed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one hits close to home - I was broad sided in my '03 1-ton on the highway and am still recovering from the impact (whiplash). Broke the steering & suspension, diff, bent frame, oil pan dented, etc and we bounced off two guard rails that kept me from going over and into a river. My son was strapped into his car seat in the back seat and he's OK. Truck was written off after I insisted it be replaced or rebuilt 'as good as new'. I also told them I haul a heavy camper, so it needs to be able to safely load up more than groceries. Trouble is that I was 6 months past the insurance depreciation waver, so lost a bundle without recourse on depreciation.

Glad you guys were OK - that's what matters. It will take a while to settle the claims, but in the end it's the truck that saved you and I...we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for what we were driving.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
ck1

Originally Posted by fredbert
ck1, given a choice of two identical trucks at the same price, except that one had $10k+ of body work done on it, which would you buy? Also, in this day and age of Carfax and the like, it's impossible to conceal something like this. 05mxdiesel is clearly entitled to compensation for the "depreciation" he incurred through no fault of his own. If he had a rust bucket which could not be fixed without making it better than it was, the insurance company would hit him up for "betterment" as they call it. It goes both ways!

I totaly agree with your anaolgy if you can see the damage but if it is FIXED thus my house analogy...that is my point..what if you had a rolex watch that was dropped and broke the crystal and did lets say 500.00 in damage and gets it repaired..would one (A) disclose any repaired damage? (b) depreciate it if it was "repaired" correctly?.. so what you are saying if ones damages are 10k he should be reimbursed a percentage of that?...makes no sense....again...truck is fixed and he is "reimbursed" a percentage of the damage and then sells truck to some poor unspecting sole for full retail he makes a profit now is that right? no(hey Carfax aint all that...it is a good tool that is NOT always used nor factual 100% of the time....I have a salvage car that is NOT listed on carfax at all)...
.....insurance companies are to cover the cost to repair or replace something in a given loss...to make someone whole...there is NO DEPRECIATION if the vehicle is not up for sale!! one may hold on to that "depreciated vehicle for years....why should an insurance company pay for depreciation on something that depreciates such as an average automobile at the time of the loss?....where is the LOSS?? it is pure greed to base depreciation at the time of the loss...If onetraded in a vehicle later on down the road and there was depreciation (which i TOTALY doubt if was repaired correctly.) it would be purely based on the poor repairs that the body shop did......this ALL has to do with REPAIRS guys...not to nail the insurance company which is now the victim along with JOHN Q PUBLIC with raised rates due to ridiculous litigation such as deprection on something that ALREADY depreciates....its funny...we all spent big $$ on our trucks and I will bet that there is a ton of trucks out there that had "dock damage" and was repaired (NORMAL in the industry i might add) and repaired correctly (more times then not) and no dealer or manfacturer would disclose it so and I dont hear no one sqwaken about deprecition...or how about when the paint peels and the dealer repaints it...are you going after the manfacturer for depreciation?...no becuase the repaint is usually better then the orig.....

Betterment is very correct as this applies to all things that wear....why should an insurance company pay for a new radiator when the one that was damaged had 100k or a battery that was four years old on a five year warrantied battery?? or worn suspension.....trust me without betterment our rates would be WAY higher
flame on!
Old 12-01-2005, 02:32 PM

glad you guys are ok, trucks can always be fixed. We can't
Old 12-01-2005, 02:38 PM

Thank god you and your mom were ok. My wife would have had to post my bail I think if this would have happened to me. Was a nice truck, too bad. Good luck with the insurance company.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:59 PM

Glad to hear you guys are okay.
Had a similar thing happen to my 99 back in June. Lady in a half ton was talking on her cell and didn't see that all the traffic on the freeway was at a total stop. Skid for about 70 feet before she finally stopped in the back end of my truck. Bad thing was I saw it coming and there was no where I could go. Bent the frame in two places, we insisted on totalling it. By looking at the two trucks at the scene of the accident, her's (actually a company truck) was in worse shape than ours. Even though she admitted fault to everyone (CHP included) we finally got everything settled with her insurance company. Only had the truck for a year and was so upset to see it damaged. Was just very thankful that my daughter was not in the truck with us. Bad thing was we were moving about 3 days later, and I was stuck driving a little rental car because the rental company screwed up the reservation.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:09 PM

Thanks for all your support, I had to make a couple phone calls back to state farm (ladies insurance) to get a rental. I have the wife's liberty right now, but she needs a car too. They come back and tell me they are going to give me an intermediate car, which I find out is a chevy cavalier, bs. Then I tell them how I had a 45k truck and I didn't ask to get hit,so they are giving me a Dodge dakota. At least its 4wd and not a ford.

I am also in the same situation, house is just about finished and we are ready to move in before the baby comes. I'm just lucky we have a family full of trucks and enclosed trailers.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Rentals

Glad every one was ok!!

When my truck was in for a dent in the bed-side I was slated to get a Neon. The manager happened to walk by and made a comment about that diesel dodge in the shop and I told him it was mine. He gave me a free upgrade to "as big of a car as we have" so I got a Kia Sportage SUV . It was little and got worse fuel economy then my truck. At least he tried.

John
Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by ck1
I totaly agree with your anaolgy if you can see the damage but if it is FIXED thus my house analogy...that is my point..what if you had a rolex watch that was dropped and broke the crystal and did lets say 500.00 in damage and gets it repaired..would one (A) disclose any repaired damage? (b) depreciate it if it was "repaired" correctly?.. so what you are saying if ones damages are 10k he should be reimbursed a percentage of that?...makes no sense....again...truck is fixed and he is "reimbursed" a percentage of the damage and then sells truck to some poor unspecting sole for full retail he makes a profit now is that right? no(hey Carfax aint all that...it is a good tool that is NOT always used nor factual 100% of the time....I have a salvage car that is NOT listed on carfax at all)...
.....insurance companies are to cover the cost to repair or replace something in a given loss...to make someone whole...there is NO DEPRECIATION if the vehicle is not up for sale!! one may hold on to that "depreciated vehicle for years....why should an insurance company pay for depreciation on something that depreciates such as an average automobile at the time of the loss?....where is the LOSS?? it is pure greed to base depreciation at the time of the loss...If onetraded in a vehicle later on down the road and there was depreciation (which i TOTALY doubt if was repaired correctly.) it would be purely based on the poor repairs that the body shop did......this ALL has to do with REPAIRS guys...not to nail the insurance company which is now the victim along with JOHN Q PUBLIC with raised rates due to ridiculous litigation such as deprection on something that ALREADY depreciates....its funny...we all spent big $$ on our trucks and I will bet that there is a ton of trucks out there that had "dock damage" and was repaired (NORMAL in the industry i might add) and repaired correctly (more times then not) and no dealer or manfacturer would disclose it so and I dont hear no one sqwaken about deprecition...or how about when the paint peels and the dealer repaints it...are you going after the manfacturer for depreciation?...no becuase the repaint is usually better then the orig.....

Betterment is very correct as this applies to all things that wear....why should an insurance company pay for a new radiator when the one that was damaged had 100k or a battery that was four years old on a five year warrantied battery?? or worn suspension.....trust me without betterment our rates would be WAY higher
flame on!

You think the insurance companies are or even could be vicitims?

Obviously you have never dealt with any insurance company, especially on the loosing side.

I had $5000 worth of medical bills from a car accident, they paid $800 (State Harm). Had another truck hit, the only parts the insurance company would use were used or aftermarket, the truck had 10,000 miles on it (All Take). Would not even look at estimates by a oem body man, wanted 3 estimates and would pay the least not the best. Dealers body shop was the middle estimate.

I don't believe in getting something for nothing but dimished value is real. I will not drive a vehicle that has been wrecked so everyone that has been has been traded (2). If you have a dealer do the repair guess what they hit you when you trade it for a like truck or car cause they can. Is that my fault? No it is the insured's fault AND the insurance company that agreed to insure them.

Dimished value for a 1983 Ford Ranger with 245,000 miles? I don't think so. Dimished value for an '05 2500 CTD? ya **** right.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seeing the pictures of your truck after the wreck just makes me so happy to be driving mine. I know the damage to your truck is a dissappointment. And having to deal with the insurance companies and getting your truck fixed is a PITA.

BUT.......just think if you were driving a Toyota Corrolla or a Cavalier or something and that lady hit you broadside at 50mph? You might not be here to post the thread.

I love driving my truck. I feel safe in it. And unless I tangle up with a semi-truck.....I feel like my odds of living through a collision are SO MUCH higher than driving a smallish car or truck.

Good luck with everything!! Glad you and your Mom are safe! That big heavy truck did it's job well.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad everyone is ok.

Make sure to check out the body shop before you give that truck to just anybody. That is (unfortunately) a lot of damage and their are a lot of little things that add up and can be problematic in the future. I can almost guarantee that there will be more damage found once the body man rips into it. I've worked in body shops and around cars and am very picky about letting someone else work on my truck if I can't do it myself. Check all the jambs and gaps and don't hesitate to ask questions. Make sure that they use OEM parts and not aftermarket, I've never seen an aftermarket part that fits as well as the factory. It sucks that you have to go through all of this but make sure to stay on top of it.

When I was in a wreck I told the rental company that I wanted a truck, since that was what I brought them, and the guy told me that if I told the insurance company I used the truck for work they had to give me a truck. Might be different in other states but it kept me out of a neon...