3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I got slammed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got slammed!!

I was on my way to work yestersday and a lady runs a red light and hits me broadside at about 50 mph. I was two miles from my house and my mother was with me too. No one was hurt, except my truck which took a hell of a hit. I was flipping out and the lady would not get out of the car. There was a bunch of witnesses and when the police showed up she admitted to running the stop light and everything. She got cited on site.

Well I need a new side to my cab, floor pan since its all crinkled, two doors, bed side, and all new body mounts on the cab since it bent the bolts holding them. My frame has a small dent in it, but it is not bent at all. I just hope it comes back the way it was before, no squeaks and rattles. Here are some pics for you guys.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, at least you or your mom were not hurt. I would not bet on the frame being straight. You can't tell until you get it on a frame machine. If the insurance company is willing I'd total it and look for another.

Sorry man.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuff luck. I hate stupid drivers!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bummer. Glad everyone is ok. The truck did it's job of protecting you and your mom.

MikeyB
Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 AM

It's an 05, don't think much chance of it being totaled. Glad no one was hurt and the truck will well for a 50mph hit.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 AM

I know a guy that had this happen to his new truck and he made the insurance company pay extra for when he traded it. He had a dealer figure how much it hurt the value of it being wrecked. They tried not to pay the extra but they finally did because it wasnt his fault.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good to hear that no injury's occurred and you all are safe. It looks like most of the impact was at frame level. 50mph T-bone? That's a pretty darn good impact. I would be really interested to see how your frame held up. What hit you:and what did it suffer. Take care, it's only a truck, the most important parts can't be replaced (you)!

Also, here is a clip on what KEV kinda hit on. If it aint totalled, I would push this as hard as you can:

Am I entitled to depreciation value?

Depreciation value is that sum of money which accounts for the decrease in the fair market value of your motor vehicle as the direct result of having been damaged in a collision even taking into consideration that your vehicle is repairable or is repaired. It is a recognition that a vehicle which has been in a collision and is repaired is of less value than a similar vehicle which has never been damaged. In other words, it is a value of loss over and above the repair costs. Depreciation is a very nebulous and gray area. The amount of depreciation will also depend on the severity of the damage. If there is minor damage there probably is no depreciation. On the other hand, the more severe the damage the more likely depreciation is present.

When negotiating with the adjuster you should demand that you get depreciation. Fact is the value of a vehicle can be greatly reduced just because it was in a wreck. Most adjusters will not volunteer depreciation value, therefore, you should raise the issue. On the other hand, some liability carriers will volunteer this information if your vehicle is no more than five years old and damage amounts to 25% or more of the fair market value. There is no computer formula which will account for depreciation. We have heard that some insurance companies will pay between 10% and 20% of the repair bill for depreciation.

You should be aware that if your vehicle is less than five years old and the damage to the vehicle exceeds 25% of its fair market value, you must disclose that fact to any subsequent buyer. This disclosure will certainly effect the amount anyone would be willing to pay or allow for trade in allowance for the vehicle.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Tuff luck. I hate stupid drivers!
Same here. I got hit by a stupid driver myself about a month ago. The only damage to my truck was a caved in rear door. Immediately after the collision the 19 year old admitted to me that it was his fault. When the officer arrived and took his statement he came up with a real whopper and would not tell the officer the same thing he told me. I guess since he had only liability he decided to try and take my insurance company for a ride. Since there was no witness to the actual collision, only the aftermath it became a he said he said situation. There was no conclusive evidence to place blame so no one was cited and each of us was now responsible to pay for our own damage. It totalled the punks car when he hit the guardrail. My damage was just under a grand but I had to pay the $500.00 deductible. My thinking was I have never had an at fault collision with another vehicle in thirty-three years plus of driving, therefore the $500.00 deductible. Only in America can you not be at fault and someone tells a flat out lie and now be out the $500.00.

I got the truck out of the shop two days ago. What a mess! The body work turned out alright but could someone please tell me why experienced body men allow such a mess. The interior was covered with body filler dust.All of the windows except the passenger door windows which they covered also were coated with overspray as was two-thirds of the roof. The roof looked like it had been base coated and not clear coated. It took me five hours to clean this mess up. Meguiars Mirror Glaze on the roof, top of fenders, then waxed and brake parts cleaner on the windows along with major scrubbing and vacumning to the interior. I took the truck in spotless. I just don't get it. When I picked it up and opened the door I couldn't believe my eyes. I had the manager look at it and he had the carwash guy wipe the seats off with a damp rag and he appologized for the mess. I didn't see all of the overspray either until I drove away or when I got home.

Sorry to rant. I am glad neither you or your mother were hurt. This stuff just plain sucks and I feel for you. For me I have had way too many issues past and on going with my truck and it may be time to trade.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 AM

Thanks guys for your support, I just miss my truck. I'm driving the fiance's jeep liberty until I get a rental. I took the truck to one of the best places in our county, plus I was told by my insurance company I could take it anywhere I wanted. These guys will do pretty much anything I want them too. They are taking the bed off, so maybe I can get in there and finally do the fuel tank vent mod without dropping the tank. Her insurance company just called me and they are reviewing the claim which will take 24 hrs for them to contact me again. More waiting.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Glad you guys are ok. I agree with Geico with hoping it's totalled. Even with the best body shop, it's still been wrecked.

Glad she had insurance. We had the same thing happen to us with the wife 8.5 months pregnant. The kid didn't have insurance and our vehicle was totalled. It was only a year old as well but our insurance company totalled it and good thing too. Neither of us wanted to even look at that thing after that happened.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 AM

My wife is just about at her due date and I was lucky she was not with me or I might be in a different mode right now.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:22 AM
ck1

Originally Posted by nonford
Good to hear that no injury's occurred and you all are safe. It looks like most of the impact was at frame level. 50mph T-bone? That's a pretty darn good impact. I would be really interested to see how your frame held up. What hit you:and what did it suffer. Take care, it's only a truck, the most important parts can't be replaced (you)!

Also, here is a clip on what KEV kinda hit on. If it aint totalled, I would push this as hard as you can:

Am I entitled to depreciation value?

Depreciation value is that sum of money which accounts for the decrease in the fair market value of your motor vehicle as the direct result of having been damaged in a collision even taking into consideration that your vehicle is repairable or is repaired. It is a recognition that a vehicle which has been in a collision and is repaired is of less value than a similar vehicle which has never been damaged. In other words, it is a value of loss over and above the repair costs. Depreciation is a very nebulous and gray area. The amount of depreciation will also depend on the severity of the damage. If there is minor damage there probably is no depreciation. On the other hand, the more severe the damage the more likely depreciation is present.

When negotiating with the adjuster you should demand that you get depreciation. Fact is the value of a vehicle can be greatly reduced just because it was in a wreck. Most adjusters will not volunteer depreciation value, therefore, you should raise the issue. On the other hand, some liability carriers will volunteer this information if your vehicle is no more than five years old and damage amounts to 25% or more of the fair market value. There is no computer formula which will account for depreciation. We have heard that some insurance companies will pay between 10% and 20% of the repair bill for depreciation.

You should be aware that if your vehicle is less than five years old and the damage to the vehicle exceeds 25% of its fair market value, you must disclose that fact to any subsequent buyer. This disclosure will certainly effect the amount anyone would be willing to pay or allow for trade in allowance for the vehicle.

question....if the insurance company pays to have the vehicle fixed to the way it was prior to the loss and the shop fixed like it SHOULD be to where no one can tell (and yes it can be done) ....then why should there be depreciation???....this doesnt apply to a house if it was damaged in a loss...why should a car if it is going to and Has already depreciated.....I would agree with this theory on a NEW less than 1000 miles or so and or a collector car that will go up in value....you know for a fact your not going to disclose this to any potentil buyers....besides...everyone blames the insurance companies....not the idiot that caused the problems....the insurance comp is SUPOSSED to pay for the damages and most due but I have a real problem with this dimished value thing..who can determine the "diminished value"...the looser salesman that is licking his chops offering you a WAY lower value anf then selling it for a profit....or that same salesman that offered you even LESS on your "undamaged" trade in?(oh thats right...he is an expert on the vehicles that he sells) .or the uninformed non carunderstandin adjuster??...or worse yet...the courts or an atty?...what formula is used...if it is based on damage then is it the damage amount taken of the value??...no the truck is FIXED correct?...if not then make sure it is...and if it cant then total it. Is the second owner going to take a hit on that vehicle??.or better yet...you keep the vehicle 7 years....then sell it trade it in....are you going to take a hit ..NO WAY unless it is labled salvaged or junk...this dimished value thing is another way to keep lawyers busy(away from the golf course!) and to make rates go up......I agree with the statement that you should get all that you should get but NOTHING more and NOTHING less......oh and by the way...that 25% thing that you stated doesnt apply in all states furthering my point..
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 05mxdiesel
My wife is just about at her due date and I was lucky she was not with me or I might be in a different mode right now.
Yeah, I wasn't too friendly with the dude. Once I tore the door off the van to get out and stood up he went back to his truck and sat there until all of the emergency people got there. I probably didn't look like I was in the mood to talk right then. None of us got hurt except for my arm got drug on the asphalt a few yards. Nice scarring but only a flesh wound. I pull glass and small stones out of it once in a while but no permanent damage.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ck1, given a choice of two identical trucks at the same price, except that one had $10k+ of body work done on it, which would you buy? Also, in this day and age of Carfax and the like, it's impossible to conceal something like this. 05mxdiesel is clearly entitled to compensation for the "depreciation" he incurred through no fault of his own. If he had a rust bucket which could not be fixed without making it better than it was, the insurance company would hit him up for "betterment" as they call it. It goes both ways!

PS for 05mxdiesel: Make sure you get a lifetime warranty to cover you if (more like when!) the body work degrades more than the rest of the truck over time. Some insurance companies offer this if you use one of their approved body shops. I was rear-ended about ten years ago in a nice Mercedes and now much of the work needs to be redone. Good luck, please keep us posted.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:32 PM

I think all Stupid drivers should have small cars... They should test them and the worse they score the samller the car should be... really stupid people get mopeds.
I love it with I get bumped at a light... I get to rip their bumper cover off with I drive off! hahaha... I have had that happen 2 times! Funny as hell.. I could have unpinned my reciever hitch... but that is not nearly as fun as telling them to hold the brake while I pull away.

Oilguy

Quick Reply: I got slammed!!