3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Hydroformed frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Hydroformed frame

[quote author=turbov6joe link=board=17;threadid=18777;start=0#msg179507 date=1062504875]
I know I've been wanting to install a GN hitch in my 2003 but am reluctant to do so because of the drilling involved and warranty issues....anyone have a GN hitch assembly out there that uses very little drilled holes and more existing holes?
[/quote]

Pullrite has a GN that does not require drilling. They have a website at pullrite.com

Casey
Old 09-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Banned

so whats the point....are these frames better than the old frames? stronger???? what ???
Old 09-03-2003, 12:47 PM

They are lighter and stiffer but not sure if that makes them better. That said, I like the way my truck rides but again I am not sure how much of that can be attributed to the frame.

Casey
Old 09-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Banned

are they stronger....will i be able to lift my truck 18 inches and do jumps with it not worrying about my frame breaking in half...
Old 09-03-2003, 01:24 PM

You know these new frames might be lighter or stiffer, but I feel over all, they are weaker. The reason I say this is I don't see how you can fix this frame is there is any damage at all.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Banned

well then its totalled you get a new one....
Old 09-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would take a structural analysis of each frame to tell which one has more strength. Personally, I don't care enough about it to go to that length. As a general rule though, square (or rectangular in this case) tubing has more strength than a wide flange or C channel of the same vertical dimension and thickness of webbing. So....all things being equal, I'd say the new hydroformed frames are stronger. Happy now??

Either way....I'm sure it's plenty strong to do what these trucks were designed to do....and then some.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:35 PM

yea I don't think there is any difference in strength, for the purpose of jumping the truck.

The reason DC went to the new frames was to stay competitive. I'm sure they designed the new frames to the same load requriements as the old frames, subjected them to the same test rigor, and applied the same warranty coverage to them. They're just as strong as or stronger than the old ones, but I guess if you must jump, you're probably interested in the failure mode and how to fix them when they fail. me, I wouldn't want to own a truck with either frame on it, if there was a frame failure in its history ...

Old 09-03-2003, 09:43 PM

The reason I'm worried about the new frame is because of the scuttlebutt with the new Ford F150 hydroformed frame.

What I heard about the new F150 was that there was a bracket that attaches to the frame that was cracked and somehow when they tried to weld it, it was cracking the frame. Because of this, I'm worried. I don't see how welding something to the frame makes it crack.

Also from articles I read on the hydroformed frames, it was suppose to be lighter, stiffer and cost LESS. My guess is the primary reason for Dodge to go with the new frame was the cost. Even if the savings is a $10, you talking hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit to them. Reguardless of why the reason, I feel in another feew years all trucks in the same class will be hydroframed.

Old 09-04-2003, 11:57 AM

[quote author=Crabjoe link=board=17;threadid=18777;start=15#msg180318 date=1062643420]
The reason I'm worried about the new frame is because of the scuttlebutt with the new Ford F150 hydroformed frame.

What I heard about the new F150 was that there was a bracket that attaches to the frame that was cracked and somehow when they tried to weld it, it was cracking the frame. Because of this, I'm worried. I don't see how welding something to the frame makes it crack.

Also from articles I read on the hydroformed frames, it was suppose to be lighter, stiffer and cost LESS. My guess is the primary reason for Dodge to go with the new frame was the cost. Even if the savings is a $10, you talking hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit to them. Reguardless of why the reason, I feel in another feew years all trucks in the same class will be hydroframed.

[/quote]

After figuring in the cost of R&D and testing, the cost differntial probably isn't a significant factor for them (the OEM's), however, cutting off weight to get better mileage and performance for the EPA requirements is, more than likely, the main reason they developed them (hydroformed frames). Also, just because Ford may be having a problem with theirs doesn't mean Dodge or GM will, since each has their own specs for the metal, forging, and tempering that gives each one it's own qualities/attributes. Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.