3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

HVAC blower speed control fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC blower speed control fix

My HVAC blower was acting up recently (1st three speeds worked fine, but would run at the lowest speed at the highest setting) I checked the blower resistor and it checked out fine, took out the blower control on the dash and it was bad. Dealer says a new one is about $300, so I took it apart (6 tabs and 2 screws to take the main housing apart, then 3 tabs on the rotary switch for the blower speed control. Looks like this switch is underdesigned for the amount of current it is carrying, because it was partially melted and molten plastic was wiped across the hi speed contact. Just took a few minutes to scrape off the molten stuff put it all back together and it works fine. I didn't ask but I hope that component was beefed up in the replacement parts bin. My truck is a 2003. Hope this helps someone else with the same problem. BTW there is only one screw on the center console panel down to the right. All the rest is retained by clips, it takes a leap of faith to pull that hard on the panel to remove it but it actually comes off without breaking. I don't know if it will hold up, but if it doesn't there is enough room to solder a big piece of copper on the back of that contact to act as a heat sink if it happens again.

Tom
Old 11-10-2006, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry about that center console panel. It is not cheap plastic like the Chevy interiors