3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Hummer Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Raspy, I may take a second look at the Toyos in 285/75/17. I always try to buy from Discount tire and I got a quote on some last week. The manager quoted me $382 a piece for MTs and $291 a piece for ATs. Now he may have some wiggle room to negotiate but they just seemed kinda high to me. Maybe it would be worth it if I could get that kind of wear (60K) out of them, but I doubt that is going to happen. I didn't price 35'' Toyos though, so I may see what he says about those.

They don't carry Toyo at Discount so they have to order them in which prob increases their cost. He was pushing the Nitto Dura Grappler or Nitto Trail Grapplers instead at much lower prices than the Toyos. (he understands im not happy with the Terra Grappler wear).

Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Texas,

Just for fun you could go look at a set of the Toyos at Les Schwab, if there are any of those in your area. Look at the 285/75 and the 285/70. Big difference! The 75s have the stiffest sidewall and are based on the MT carcass. They are great for rough service and heavy towing. The 70s are a bit lighter and flex easier, but still strong.

I ran a set of the 75s first and decided I wanted something more flexible than Flintstone tires, so I'm now running the 70s. 207,000 miles on the truck. Just went through the Sierras again two days ago with 18,000 lbs gross. Came back down after a flash flood with rocks and mud on the road towing my trailer home. Trying to snow a bit at 9,000 ft. 26% grade and smoking brakes. Eee haw. Tunes and great conversation the whole time. Dogs sleeping. Never a concern about the tires.

And, as usual, I only exaggerate enough to compensate for someone taking me with a grain of salt. Or, put another way, I only exaggerate in the interest of truth. Sheesh, it's late.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know how you guys find a great deal on these with tires, anytime i look in my general area or far as i;m willing to go they are ridiculas prices compared to what your getting them for. must be better shoppers than me
Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I would stay well clear of the BFG AT's as far as 315s go, they've been known to cause DW problems.

I would recommend getting an E rated tire going that big, especially if you tow and/or haul a lotta weight.

Besides my E rated 35" Vortracs, you can get E rated Toyo MT's or E rated 315 Bridgestone/Firestone AT's.

There's a lot more choices for E rated 35's if you go with 18" wheels.

I've been looking around some at other brands....Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac sound like a good competitor to the BFG 315s.

But in this post you mentioned Bridgestone and now im kinda leaning toward the Dueler AT Revo 2s in 315/70/17. Like you mentioned it's a 35'' "E" rated tire. And fairly inexpensive according to Tirerack.com. Thanks Fisherguy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r+A%2FT+Revo+2

Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM

No problem Tex, there's more options now than when I got mine last year, check out the Firestone Destination AT's too.

Good reviews for the Revo's at Tire Rack, good prices, you don't wanna know what I paid for my Vortacs up here and I'm thinking they won't last more than 35k miles.
I emailed Interco who told me they'd sell me a set for half price when I need them, we'll see....
Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 PM

______________Update________________

I have been trying to sell these wheels and tires, but to no avail they have not sold. Last night I 'machined' out the ID of the Hummer wheels, and they turned out really nice, and today I have them getting balanced.

I plan on keeping them on Craigslist, but running them on my truck until they are worn out or sold.

I like the stock wheel set and I think I eventually will go back to them, so I don't want to get rid of the hub caps. ON THAT NOTE; I now need hub caps that I can cut and modify to fit on the Hummer wheels...

WANT TO BUY: Stock Chrome 8 Lug Hub Caps.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 PM

I have been running the H2 wheels with the BFG 315's for 4 years with NO problems. I know that many have had problems with DW, but I have to say that other conditions may have existed prior to using the BFG's and maybe they would have problems even with stock wheels/tires at some point in time. I put them on my truck when it was new, they balanced with little weight needed, my alignment was perfect, has stayed that way, and my ball joints, etc were just checked a couple months ago when I bought my 2nd set of BFG's. My first set of BFG's went close to 54K.

CD
Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Toyo 285-75-17 Mt's were available here last week for $283. At's are a millenium out. The Firestone/Bridgestone option is looking better. $206 ea for the 315-70-17 Firestone Destination LTR's here.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:44 PM

I finally got my set of H2s powdercoated black and put on a set of Goodyear Duratracs in 315/70/17s. So far so good!! Im still getting used to the backspacing on the H2s since they stick out a little bit further than the stock wheels. I am glad i did it. H2 wheels were made for our trucks.

Name:  DSC02477.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  108.1 KB

Name:  DSC02476.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  DSC02489.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  DSC02474.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  96.7 KB

Old 10-30-2010, 12:50 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tex,

Looking good. You're right, H2s were made for our trucks.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:09 PM

Those Duratracs look GOOD !!!!

Curiosity has me, what is the tread width and the sidewall width? Can you take a min and measure them for me please?

I wonder how those Duratracs would work on a dually? I'm sure they would have to be a little smaller tire height, but maybe they would be good dually tires too.

CD
Old 10-30-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by CD in NM
Those Duratracs look GOOD !!!!

Curiosity has me, what is the tread width and the sidewall width? Can you take a min and measure them for me please?

I wonder how those Duratracs would work on a dually? I'm sure they would have to be a little smaller tire height, but maybe they would be good dually tires too.

CD

Thanks CD. Im not sure how they would work on a dually. Might be kinda wide? According to Tirerack.com the section width is 12.7'' but it didn't give the tread width. I just went outside and measured 10.5'' for the tread width as best I can tell. They have quite a few different sizes if you want to go to tirerack.com and look up goodyear and then wrangler duratrac.

Also, fwiw, these are a "D" rated 3195lb capacity tire at 50lbs max. I wanted to get an "E" but I didn't like the options available in the size or sizes I wanted or would consider.....without either spending a ton of money on TOYOs or going to a tread design I didn't want. These Duratracs are fairly new but look promising even with a "D" rating. I thought i'd try them out.

Hope that helps...if you have any more questions let me know. Or check back with me in 20K miles or 30K miles or so...

Old 10-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
Tex,

Looking good. You're right, H2s were made for our trucks.

Thanks Raspy!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Robert,

The old truck looks good!

MikeyB
Old 10-30-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks Tex for the info. I am also interested in seeing how/if they change your fuel mileage, and of course, their wear. I got some good mileage out of my last set of BFG's, have a new set of BFG's on now, but the future may hold a change in tires??

I agree with the statement that Raspy made, the H2's are an excellent rim for our trucks, the backspacing is good, the width gives us more tire options over the stockers.

I actually have 2 sets of them, one on the truck and a spare set I really don't need.

CD

Quick Reply: Hummer Wheels