3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Hummer Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hummer Wheels

So I just bought some tires and wheels off of a Hummer, the wheels are fully polished and I am not sure about using them. I bought this set because it was the right price for the tires that I wanted.

Should I sell the wheels, or run them?

If you say yes tell me why....
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 AM

If they are H2 wheels and you currently are running the stock wheels, H2s have a wider rim width than the stock wheel and are a better fit for a 315 tire (less sidewall flex) and 315s will now not rub on turns. Your tires are already mounted and ready to go.

You do have to router out the center hole to fit the dodge hub and modify the hub caps. You can also sell your stock wheels.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definitely run them. I used a deWalt router and a flush cut bit. (the one with the bearing to keep you from cutting too deep. The dodge center caps will work fine too after you cut the edge down about 3/4". It took me all of 10 minutes to do 5 wheels.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:24 PM

H2 wheels are wider, have slightly more offset to prevent rubbing with wider tires, and have a ridge inside that acts as a sort of internal beadlock. They're strong, relatively light, and they look good on Dodges. The stock Dodge center caps fit with minor modifications, and complement the look. I've run a set of H2's for over 100K miles with zero problems, running thru two sets of BFG 315/70/17's. Never have rubbed anywhere once on bone stock suspension, and I've never blown a bead, even running hard at the dunes aired down to 10-12 psi. Just installed a set of the new DOT approved General Grabbers (load range E, 35/12.50/17's) on the H2's, those tires are slightly taller and wider than the BFG's, still no rubbing. My next Dodge will have H2's too.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zeppe807
So I just bought some tires and wheels off of a Hummer, the wheels are fully polished and I am not sure about using them. I bought this set because it was the right price for the tires that I wanted.

Should I sell the wheels, or run them?

If you say yes tell me why....
No no, they won't fit or look good on your truck, so just send them to me....\

Seriously what "Squidward" said. You will need to machine, bore, or route them out to at least 4.778" to fit. I have been searching for a set of the 2008+ H2 wheels for my truck. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Squidward.

I've been running H2s for about 195,000 miles now with no problems of any kind. I switched from the original design to the later '08 design about two years ago. The later design is the same size, but has a different look that I really like. My Dodge caps are on and work just fine. A bit of modification made them snap right on, even with my free spin kit. Routering the wheel center hole is very easy and quick. Many, including me, have described it in detail here.

I ran a set of BFG 315 D, Bfg 285 D, Toyo 285/75 E and now Toyo 287/70 E and I strongly recommend to stay away from the D rated BFGs. Toyos are great. No rubbing with any of the sizes listed.

I've towed up to 19,500 lbs and off roaded as far in as my Dodge would go over very rough terrain and been in the sand at Pismo. Never a problem with the wheels.

Then I took a set of six H2s (five that I took off to change to the later style and one from ebay) and put them on my triple axle trailer with the stock Dodge 265 tires on them. Works perfect and looks way better than steel wheels. But it did require Chevy nuts. That trailer probably weighs about 20,000 lbs.

I've never been able to find a true factory weight rating on the wheels, but they are strong enough.

The next thing is easy replacement. If you ever break one, a replacement will be easy to get since they are an OEM design and many are taken off to install custom wheels on Hummers. I bought a brand new one, in the original box for $85. and have gotten several sets with tires for around $400. If you like the BFG 315 D tires (which I don't) you can get a set of takeoffs with wheels for less than the tires alone!

If you like the look, or if you just want a winter set of tires you can bolt right on, go with the H2s. They are a really great and cheap modification.

One bit of caution though, the reason I recommend against the 315s is that they have a lot of balance and wear problems. The mileage will probably go down. After a while mine made the truck pull to the right and I had to re-balance several times. They have been associated with DW and their sidewall is ridiculously weak. Be careful! They are good in the sand and snow, but, overall, a bad choice.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 PM

If you run 35's on the H2's the tires will stick out more than on stock wheels, I didn't like the mud and crap flying all over the sides of my truck and had to put flares on. I used ATS, BushWackers will eat through your paint.

With stock wheels 35's will rub your control arms, with H2's the will rub or come VERY close to your fenders when you turn and will rub your mud flaps. I had to put longer control arms on to get my DuraFlaps on.

If I'd know all the above at the time I'm not sure I woulda gone to H2's, or maybe used slightly smaller tires.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 PM

I am liking the ideas that you guys have. I will have to put it on the back burner if I want to keep and use the wheels on the truck.

I was first thinking of dismounting the tires and putting them on my stock 5 spoke Al. wheels.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Well, I am selling the whole set of tires and wheels. I am going to just keep the stock wheels, and get new tires.

Although I would like to have a different tire that had more offset. I currently have fender flares and the stock wheels with the 315s just don't fill them up as much as I would like. The hummer wheels prob would.

I took off the flares, and like that look better, but the paint was removed where it rubbed. So I guess the previous owner made my decision for me.

Any ideas to hide the line from the flare would be great. I would like to leave them off.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Squidward
H2 wheels are wider, have slightly more offset to prevent rubbing with wider tires, and have a ridge inside that acts as a sort of internal beadlock. They're strong, relatively light, and they look good on Dodges. The stock Dodge center caps fit with minor modifications, and complement the look. I've run a set of H2's for over 100K miles with zero problems, running thru two sets of BFG 315/70/17's. Never have rubbed anywhere once on bone stock suspension, and I've never blown a bead, even running hard at the dunes aired down to 10-12 psi. Just installed a set of the new DOT approved General Grabbers (load range E, 35/12.50/17's) on the H2's, those tires are slightly taller and wider than the BFG's, still no rubbing. My next Dodge will have H2's too.

This thread is very timely for me as I have a set of H2s sitting and waiting in the garage. I have a friend who will be helping machine them with me this week, to fit. And my Nitto Terra Grappler tires (285/75/17s) are wore out at only 25K!!!!!!!!! Never again will buy those!!

So, that said....im trying to get my H2s ready to go and put on a new set of somethings. I was leaning toward just going to BFG 315s. But now im wondering about the General Grabbers. Squid, how do you like them so far? Any mileage reports, or fuel mileage notes?

Does anybody have any other suggestions for tires on the H2s, besides Toyo or Nitto. (toyos seem overpriced and I hear they don't run any more miles than the Nittos)

I've had great luck with BFG ATs and MTs in the past....D rated......but never had 315s.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 PM

I would stay well clear of the BFG AT's as far as 315s go, they've been known to cause DW problems.

I would recommend getting an E rated tire going that big, especially if you tow and/or haul a lotta weight.

Besides my E rated 35" Vortracs, you can get E rated Toyo MT's or E rated 315 Bridgestone/Firestone AT's.

There's a lot more choices for E rated 35's if you go with 18" wheels.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I would stay well clear of the BFG AT's as far as 315s go, they've been known to cause DW problems.

I would recommend getting an E rated tire going that big, especially if you tow and/or haul a lotta weight.

Besides my E rated 35" Vortracs, you can get E rated Toyo MT's or E rated 315 Bridgestone/Firestone AT's.

There's a lot more choices for E rated 35's if you go with 18" wheels.

Yeah, it seems tough to find a good "E" rated 35'' tire in 17'' wheel diameter. Toyo MTs are nice, but they just seem so overpriced. I'll have to take a look at the bridgestone/firestone ones maybe. General Grabbers are E rated too, i think.

I do tow some and haul. But never had any issues, so far, with any tire I have run.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Looks like only the "Grabber" comes in a 35" E:
http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T30...-Available-Now
Old 10-03-2010, 10:58 PM

So far so good with the General Grabbers. They're a little bit louder on the highway than the BFG's, but the truck does seem to handle better, my guess is it's because the E rated Generals have less sidewall flex than the D rated BFG's. I'm planning a trip to Glamis next weekend, after I get back I'll file a full report on the Grabber's performance, both in stability while towing and in aired-down performance in the sand. On a side note, the Grabbers have a very distinct tread pattern and a cool look, I get lots of comments and compliments on them.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on my second set of Toyos. My first set of 285/75s ran over 60,000 miles. Now I'm running a set of 285/75 and have about 30,000 miles on them and they are at least 1/2 left. For me, Toyos are the best tires I have ever run, for a number of reasons and they don't seem overpriced for what we get. It's not just the mileage but the toughness and how they balance. I totally trust them while towing in the mountains with heavy loads. Very good.

I ran two sets of BFGs before the Toyos and I'll never buy them again. Noisy, not round, hard to balance and very weak sidewalls. It was the sidewall issue that finally did it for me after I blew one out. Their D rated tires are like running on inner tubes. I ran a set of 315s and then a set of 285s. Good traction and good in the sand, but dangerous on the highway. The E rated BFGs might be a lot better, but the Toyos are excellent.

Quick Reply: Hummer Wheels