3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How to test shocks for wear/front end clatter when going over bumps ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to test shocks for wear/front end clatter when going over bumps ?

Hi All. I just replaced all the ball joints and u-joints as well converted hubs to the Spyntec Shorty kit. Front end feels much better, but I still get a clatter when hitting bumps of a certain size. Sounds like something loose. My sway bar bushings are worn, but I suspect the shocks. Can anybody suggest a test for determing if the culprits ? Truck has 105k on original shocks.

Thanks, Sven
Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

105k on the original shocks??? It's definitely time to replace them. However, don't overlook the end links for the swaybar.....they are notorious for failing. Could not find the clunking under my truck while hitting certain bumps....pulled the ball and socket end links off and voila.....found the problem.

On a side note....I replaced the shocks on my leveled truck 4 months ago because of radical tire cupping with Bilstein yellow/blue shocks. Wear still got worse. Ordered the black/silver 5100's and when I pulled the still new shocks of the front...both had oil leaking outta the tops and both shock rods had heat marks on them.

Choose the right shocks the first time! I was quite peeved at how early the new shocks wore out but I guess it's my fault for not ordering the right ones the first time.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Great info, thanks for the response. I'll take a look at end-links and related this weekend. I'll probably replace them since I've noticed their boots are severely cracked. Regarding shocks, people seem to use 50k as a figure for replacement, but I don't notice body roll or bottoming out or other noise. Perhaps I've gotten used to it.

Sven
Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 AM

I was getting a "clunk" sound when hitting bumps too awhile back. Changed fronted parts, no change. Then checked shocks and found the bolts and metal liner in the bottom of the shock were worn and moving. changed shocks and bolts, bolts were and PITA to get out and all so replacement bolt and nut were highly over priced. clunk is gone though
Old 10-12-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Svenne
Hi All. I just replaced all the ball joints and u-joints as well converted hubs to the Spyntec Shorty kit. Front end feels much better, but I still get a clatter when hitting bumps of a certain size. Sounds like something loose. My sway bar bushings are worn, but I suspect the shocks. Can anybody suggest a test for determing if the culprits ? Truck has 105k on original shocks.

Thanks, Sven
Your frontend was under dampened the day you brought it home. Some Bilsteins will make a remarkable difference.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Great info everybody, thanks for the replies. End links and B6 Bilsteins ordered.

Sven
Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 PM

I replaced the shocks on my 2005 model at 72K, when with Rancho 9000's

what a difference, now it drives like a sports car,

I was having bounce when I when over a bump pulling my travel trailer. (bumper hitch)

good heavy duty shocks makes a big difference in how it rides and drives,

but I think as you can under shock you can over shock and get shocks so strong you will be unhappy with the ride.

truck will ride like a log wagon around town.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM

I replaced all orginal shocks (106k miles) this past week with B6 Bilsteins. This largely improved how truck handles bumps and reduced noise by 90%. Sway bar end links and bushings are next as they too seem tired, thanks jhenson. I agree with wellmax, picking the correct shocks for your application seems important and in hindsight I was lucky as the B6 seems to be good for my needs which I describe as comfort. For those considering B6 I've attached a document which includes the following description:

"If you expect more damping power from your shock ab-
sorber – even under loads – but don’t want to opt for an
all-out sports model, the BILSTEIN B6 is the ideal solution..."

Thanks everyone. Sven
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bilstein b6&b8 brochure.pdf (968.5 KB, 108 views)