3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How to remove a stripped bolt???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove a stripped bolt???

Don't ask me how, but I'll never forget righty tighty lefty lucey again.

It's the lower bolt on the A-pillar, drivers side at the bottom of the grab handle. It just spins, the head of the bolt is ok, it feels like the threads have nothing to grip onto. I've tried a easy out, not long enough because the bolt is recessed into the handle about 1 1/2". Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2004, 03:46 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Are you talking a bolt or a screw? I am presuming that you are talking about the fastener holding the plastic thingy on to the A-pillar, in which case I think it is a screw. If so, then you can try pulling out or prying the plastic towards the screw head and at the same time turning the screw anti-clockwise. Keep outward pressure on the screw head. The threads should eventually grab and turn the screw out. Only push on the screwdriver hard enough to engage the bit and not hard enough to push the screw back into the hole. Be gentle.
That failing, then you may have to resort to drilling the head off the fastener. Do this as a last resort because the drill can easily slip and damage the plastic.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:42 PM

Try a cordless drill with a 10mm socket(in reverse),has worked for me many times,but be prepared to excert pressue backwards to let the threads get hot and finally grab.................
Old 09-09-2004, 05:05 PM

Dude you are hosed!!!!!!!

Just went thru this last week. you will have to buy a new pillar. I hade to destroy mine to get at the press-in nuts that were spining (both of them) fortuneatly i had a SRT-10 pillar i was installing. After a few hours of frustration, I had to take it to a welder and have the spining nuts tack welded in place to get the bolts out. that was after spending a lot of time trying to get the old pillar off.

The best way to destroy/remove the old pillar is w/ a dremmil tool w/ a cut off wheel. Not the usual composite cut off wheel but one that is apx 3/4ths of a inch in dia. with teeth around the circumfrence. insert it in the holes for the bolts and cut around the inside of the deep hole. A challenge but w this method it works well. Trust me i tried other ways to no avail.

order your new pillar and have at it

Good luck

DD
Old 09-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Banned

Just pull on the handle while tring to back out the screw. if nothing then if the screw is striped just remove the top screw and take the whole piece off and poak the screw out from the inside and get a new screw a phllips one forget them fancy screws they used.
why was you removing the piller???speaker upgrade or gauges??----
when worst comes to worst a little released agression on the piller and itll come right off.