3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How much "leather" in the leather interior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much "leather" in the leather interior?

I opted for the leather interior option (HO, 48RE, quad), thinking that I would get seats with leather on ALL seating surfaces. I'm not sure that the rear 60/40 bench is leather, nor the &quot;center&quot; seat in the front. The headrests don't appear to be leather either. I am making these assessments just by feeling the material and the visable texture. <br><br>Depending on who I talked to at the dealer, I got different opinions as to what is leather and what is not.<br><br>Does anybody know what's leather and what is not? I hope DC is not &quot;false advertising&quot; leather interiors and not delivering what the customer is expecting. I have bought many vehicles in my life with leather interiors and it would appear that the &quot;norm&quot; is that ALL seating surfaces both front and rear should be leather. I'm not sure my new $40,000 truck is the same.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:00 AM
tcb

Re:How much "leather" in the leather interior?

rear is a premium vinyl surface according to dc, just as armrest and head rest, and suede insert is premium synthetic. only bottom and back are real leather, and very nice at that. wish all surfaces were that way.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:10 AM

That's the conclusion I have reached, as well. As much as I love my truck, the leather option for over $1,000 is a rip off if only the front seat bottom and backs are leather. There ought to be a disclaimer on the window sticker that says the &quot;rear&quot; seating area is NOT leather.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The cows are happy. ;D ;D<br><br>I think that is the norm now with the other two also. I sure like the captains seat in the Chuby.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You wanna talk about some nice leather...you should see the &quot;King Ranch&quot; edition of the F-150. That is some SWEET cowhide in that truck. 8)
Old 06-19-2003, 08:51 PM

beemergofast, I just checked because I never really noticed until you mentioned it. Your right there is a lot of plastic in them seats. I guess I won't need as much leather conditioner as I originally thought I would. I already gave all the seats a good coat of leather conditioner, DOH now I feel like an idiot! Oh well at least the front seat has a mark on the leather where it looks like the former critter was branded or ran into a barbed wire fence. I am still going to consider it a leather interior and not let my passengers know otherwise <br>
Old 06-19-2003, 09:10 PM

with the partial leather option is the only way u can get heated seats...
Old 06-20-2003, 12:48 AM

Well, they had me fooled! I must admit I have not looked very closely but, I thought all the seating surfaces were leather. <br><br>I guess I won't be so paranoid about Casey (the dog) riding on those back seats now.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:36 PM

It took me a couple of times of feeling it to convince myself that I just had leather inserts. &gt;
Old 06-20-2003, 09:11 PM

Great minds think a like. I had the same thought about putting my leather sofa in my pickup. The only thing holding me up is the sofa is tan and the interior is slate gray or black.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:57 PM
DPG

The nicest leather interior I've ever seen was in my 94 F*rd crewcab with a conversion leather interior. Front seats like LazyBoys, and the rear fold-down sear was leather as well.<br><br>My Dodge has a conversion leather interior as well, but the rear seat is &quot;premium&quot; vinyl, as well as the other non-seating areas. Oh, well. If my F*rd had a CTD, I'd probably still own it.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Muted User

US automakers now offer leather seating surfaces whereas years ago the entire seat was done in leather. We had a Buick &quot;woody&quot; stationwagon in the 1950's with red leather and the inside of the car smelled like a tannery. The quality of leather used to day is much thinner than it used to be. GM seems to be the thinest. A buddy's 2 year old GMC with leather seats is already cracking and he only weighs about 170 lbs. If you are really interested in good leather, order hides from one of the stockests advertising in Hemmings Motor News (many will send samples) and have a competent auto upholsterer install them. You'll get top quality leather seats that will be more supple and last longer than anything you'll get from the manufacturer. I have aviation leather installed in my rig, and it smells and feels superior to anything the manufacturer offers. The price was about the same too.<br>