3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How much does my truck weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
i never said he had an automatic. all I was referring to was your 500lb transmission in reference to his non cast iron transmission. I only used it as a reference with the NV transmission being 498 lbs and 205lbs heavier than an auto alone.

Its cool...
Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gen414
Fair enough...I will stop by and check it out...in the meantime, I went ahead and put truck on lift, and lifted it off ground. Hydraulics seem to work just fine, so went ahead and lifted it all the way up...truck was stable on lift once I got the arms and truck centered, which did a take a little bit.
Normally, on a passenger car, I pull up and place front doors RIGHT behind the lift columns. On the truck, I had to pull up far enough to where front doors were actually in FRONT of teh lift colums.
be careful with that. the engine weighs 1100lbs. try to get the weight further back to make the machine carry the load rather than having the arm of the weight so far forward.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM

hyraulics on this one held up too but the structure failed. this is a bad deal but i am one for being overly safe when lifting a truck that weighs as much as ours does.

Ouch!

No, I understand what you are saying, completely. I am not one to take chances like that...well anymore that is. When I was younger, would never have thought twice about it. Now...with wife, 2 kids, older, I pay attention to things like that more. And is why I wanted to know how much our trucks weigh.
I just feel with info we have in hand, that while the truck is most definitely pusing the envelope of how much lift can handle, I feel comfortable enough in doing it.
Would say 4wd trucks, would probaly be just a tad much, especially if equipped with bigger tires, winch, bigger bumpers, etc...I can see how a truck can easily close in on 9-10K lbs pretty quickly.
My truck is really just as about as bare bones as it gets..in fact, I have even taken my hubcaps off of the truck, along with ALL emblems, side molding, etc..all has been removed. Even my third brake light in tailgate, I have swapped it out with a SRW tailgate.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM

be careful with that. the engine weighs 1100lbs. try to get the weight further back to make the machine carry the load rather than having the arm of the weight so far forward.

Yeah I know, and is why I started with truck so far back, is becuase I thought with how heavy the motor is, regardless of how long it is, would offset it. But when I did that, the butt end was sagging, and truck front end was aiming to the sky.
Like I said, I had to juggle it..would move truck forward jsut a tad, lift, see that front end was still to light, lower, move truck forward, try again, etc..

took awhile, and I was suprised at how far forward I had to put truck to getit "balanced".
Guessing the rear end/tires/frame/bed weigh a tad more than I gave them credit for!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gen414
Yeah I know, and is why I started with truck so far back, is becuase I thought with how heavy the motor is, regardless of how long it is, would offset it. But when I did that, the butt end was sagging, and truck front end was aiming to the sky.
Like I said, I had to juggle it..would move truck forward jsut a tad, lift, see that front end was still to light, lower, move truck forward, try again, etc..

took awhile, and I was suprised at how far forward I had to put truck to getit "balanced".
Guessing the rear end/tires/frame/bed weigh a tad more than I gave them credit for!
right on. now you can take can of spray paint and mark the floor so when you have to do it again, you can put it in the same spot
Old 02-04-2011, 06:07 PM

right on. now you can take can of spray paint and mark the floor so when you have to do it again, you can put it in the same spot

Never thought of that, but yeah, good idea.
Thing is, really didnt have to put truck on lift..jsut replacing sway bar en links and bushings.
man this truck has been awesome. Clsoe to 200K miles, and I have replaced:
Drivers side unit bearing
Passenger side inner tie rod
HVAC controls...defrost and recirc tabs broke off
And I had a no start condition couple years ago, that I fought for 3-4 weeks..never found the problem, but one day, truck jsut started just fine, and has ever since! Weird, right?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Oh, and electric fan clutch wiring got caught up in fan, so had to rewire it, and then last summer, fan clutch went out, but have not replaced it yet.

That and of course, normal maintenance..tires, brakes, oil changes, etc..

But, really, other than those things, thats it. I have had the truck since 04, and it has been used to haul cars cross country, been hot rodded, I let my wife drive it (whoops, LOL!!), and it's never complained!

I love it!

I DO want to make teh swap from manual to auto, and I DO want to add 4wd. and NO, not gonna sell it to go get an auto 4wd. I know this truck. I love this truck, and she is not going anywhere!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Rummage up some scrap metal, throw it in the bed and take it to your local metal recycler. You will get an accurate weight on your truck for free and depending on how much junk you have you may even get enough cash for a 12 pack
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Mine has an auto trans, 4wd, stock wheels and tires.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Go to the Dodge Towing Guide site, spec the truck and you will have "empty" weight.

A scale is the only accurate way to get to where you are now. WAG's are worthless.

My truck (in sig) appears close to yours except for bed topper. I'm usually just at 7,400-lbs with driver, full fuel and trunk junk (multiple weighings to determine true empty weight).

The towing guide said 6,700 on mine.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I have not made it to scale yet, but as I mentioned above, did put it on lift. Normally I just have race cars on teh lift, so to see my truck up there...well, was pretty intimidating I will say that. Thing looked WAY out of place up there. Im thinking that, if I was to have a truck on my lift for a living (as in, my shop did work on these trucks on daily basis) is safe to assume, I would get a MUCH bigger lift, as in the 12K variety, and would probaly do a "drive on 4 post" lift.

But, I think on teh few occassions that I will have a truck of this size on my lift, I will be ok.
I am actually thinking of making 4 very tall, very strong jackstands. That way, when I have teh truck in teh air, I can place these tall jackstands under each corner of teh frame rail for added safety.
Overkill? Yeah, probaly. But oh well..

Thanks again guys.