3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How do you take apart the rear view mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you take apart the rear view mirrors?

I got some LED clearance lights that I want to put on the outer section of the mirrors housing so that when flipped up it will shine down and in the normal position it will act as a clearance /turn light. Has anyone else tried this? Has anyone removed the mirrors or taken them apart. I looked at them but don't see any particular way to take them apart... but thats just me. I am going to tie these lights into the front or rear turn lights.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a 2004 manual that shows how to do this. PM me and I'll send it to you, I can't attach a word doc to the thread.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Originally I wanted to mounted some thin LED's on the outside of the mirror, but I think I would end up tearing them off (got to close to the garage door frame a time or two). They would have to be recessed some how for that to work. My latest idea is to put them underneath the pivot point on the stationary arm, as far out as they'll go. Have an amber one pointed forward, mounted back-to-back with a red one pointed backward.

The problem I have run into is I would like to use the front amber light as a running light plus a turn signal, but I am not sure how to wire it that way since the Dodges have a separate turn signal and running light circuit. Most LED's are only two wires. The ones that are three wires for using as break or turn signals are too big to mount on the mirror. JC Whitney sells a "logic circuit" or something like that, but I don't completely understand if it would do the trick or not. Check these LED lights out.....they are clear when they are unlit so it doesn't look quite like you just slapped some generic lights on your mirrors. I've seen some older trucks with very generic looking clearance lights on the mirrors and it has not looked good.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...4192&langId=-1
Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm... So I was thinking that tapping the turn signal positive wire on the tail lights would be the easiest way. But from what you are saying this won't work... I guess then I will just have them turn on with the parking lights. The hard part to me looks like getting the power line through the mirror and to the source... I also would have liked them to be flush but haven't found any. I also think that they might get damaged on the far edge but it would still be nice. I will try to get on it and find a way this weekend.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Both of you please let me know if you got the diagram, and if it was helpful. It is out of the dealer manual. Sounds like both of you are on the same track, draw straws to see who tears their truck up, and who waits to see how the other guy did it.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mirror disassembly

To: Madcap
My e- mail address is skiftun@frontiernet.net

I requested direction for a mirror disassembly..

Thanks, W Skiftun
Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

It's on the way!! It's a weird hotmail address, Getyousomeracing@hotmail.com, check the subject line before you think it's spam