3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How do I Get Rid of Tire Hop

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram
Dp you have the full leafs or the mini-packs?

They both help with wheelhop in loose conditions like snow and sand because they are a pregoressive spring setup to helps fight axle wrap. The stock spring in these trucks will twist pretty good until the bottom overload leaf hits the springs pack and then it abruptly stops an unloads the spring only to start the whole process over again. The progressive nature of a mini-pack or Carli full progressive leaf springs doesn't stop the twist but it limits the twist/stop/twist/stop process that happens with the stock leafs.
I've got the full leafs.
Your explanation makes sense, I was thinking more along the lines of the shock but the spring action that you describe seems more accurate.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a discussion on ladder bars vs. traction bars.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t263740.html
Old 03-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by s cesnick
I live up a long mountain road that I have to maintain. It is usually snowcovered this time of year. it seems that everytime my wheels start to slip (spin) I get severe tire hop. Not just once in a while either. Pretty much every single time. It feels like the driveshaft and tranny is gonna fly apart. It makes getting home in the snow pretty hard.
I know I need balljoints on the front. maybe (hopefully) this is the reason for the tire hop. I also just put new tires on it a few months ago and they are pretty aggressive treads which I bought for the purpose of making it home in the snow. They are the Hankook Dyna Pro MT's and they are one size larger than stock 285's.
Anyone have any ideas how to eliminate the tire hop?
-------------------------------------------------------
s cesnick:

I had a similar problem with my 1996 Dodge CTD both on loose off-road surfaces and on the drag strip. I bought and installed a set of "Cal-Trac
Traction Bars from Calvert Racing and it COMPLETELY eliminated all of the tire/wheel hop. They were easy to install, they are adjustable (tighter or looser) and they are reasonably priced. They also have excellent customer service and they are well made.

Here is the website if you are interested:

www.calvertracing.com

---------
John_P
Old 03-13-2010, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
-------------------------------------------------------
s cesnick:

I had a similar problem with my 1996 Dodge CTD both on loose off-road surfaces and on the drag strip. I bought and installed a set of "Cal-Trac
Traction Bars from Calvert Racing and it COMPLETELY eliminated all of the tire/wheel hop. They were easy to install, they are adjustable (tighter or looser) and they are reasonably priced. They also have excellent customer service and they are well made.

Here is the website if you are interested:

www.calvertracing.com

---------
John_P

they make a great traction bar! these will be the ones i get once i have the money.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 PM

What setup or parts do you buy from calvertracing since they dont make a kit for 2500's
Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by hitcb1789
What setup or parts do you buy from calvertracing since they dont make a kit for 2500's
__________________________________________________ ____
They do make a kit for the 2500's. My 1996 Dodge CTD is a 2500. You will need to call them about what you want.