3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

horn honking in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horn honking in reverse

haven't heard about this in sometime. was wondering if anyone has come up with the soulution to fix this dumb safety problem??? very annoying haveing the **** horn go off while backing with door open.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:39 PM

This worked great on my 04 :

Originally Posted by RAM25004X4
I'm new to this forum but have been pouring over this topic for several days now searching for a good solution to this reverse alarm "feature". I have a 04 2500 4X4 and the quick and easy seatbelt fix didn't work. The only other previously mentioned fix I liked is the one where you swap the door ajar sense wires for the drivers side front and rear doors. This one sounded the most elegant since it didn't evolve disabling any of the other features like the dome light coming on when the door is open etc. The only weird thing is that the key-in-ignition chime goes off with the back door now...that I can live with. To accomplish this wire swap you need the patience of a save cracker and some of the same skills to get the pins out of the Molex connector. The correct connector is a white 24 pin attached to the end of a larger connector with a bolt holding it together. This connector is visible from under the drivers side dash next to the emergency brake pedal. It's the one nearest the firewall. The wires to swap are in connector pins 5 and 6 and the colors are violet for one and violet with a grey stripe for the other. These wires are on the end in the second row. I had to loosen the bold and unplug the large connector in order to remove the smaller one form the side. I pushed a jewelers screwdriver in from the back to unhook it. Then I was able to separate the two sides of the white connector. Here is where the safe cracking expertise comes in. The connector has a securing mechanism holding all the pins in. A flat screwdriver can be used in the loop at the top of the connector to move the lock slightly out. Then a paperclip can be use in the small hole at the bottom inside if the connector to allow the lock mechanism to disengage. Now a smaller jewelers screwdriver can be used to release the desired pin from the inside. Insert the screwdriver and force the catch downward while pulling the wire from the back side. Now the two wires can be swapped and the whole mess reassembles. This may sound like too much trouble but it beats running wires to a separate switch to disable the horn or the door ajar sensor (I think). Good Luck.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:01 PM

****' 043500qc that's a real crock an alot more than i can see myself being able to do but hey man thank you very much for the info!!!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 05:54 PM

I read somewhere (on this site I think) about the seatbelt trick. Today as I was backing up to my trailer I decided to get it a shot. I fastened the belt behind my back and backed up, no honking at all.

Before I found out about this trick I also learned a little something. If your backing up, don't totally let off the brake, ride it a little and it won't honk. Their is a small area of "play" in the pedel, if you ride it just right it won't honk. But if you just pass that threshhold of letting off it will honk and dang near drive you mad.

This is the stupidest thing i've done to my truck so far, never should of had this idiotic flash done.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmojoe
****' 043500qc that's a real crock an alot more than i can see myself being able to do but hey man thank you very much for the info!!!!!
It was a really long well thought out detailed post that said: swap two wires around.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 PM

NATE-03D

nate outstanding man!!!!!!! midnight an just so your post so i went out an tried it WAALLAA!!!!!!!!! this is so **** cool cause this was realy pissing me off. pull a trailer alot an makes you look like a dumb *** when the horn goes off. again man thank you very much

was supposed to be midnight an just saw your post just got home from work an had to try it man thanks!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:35 AM

>quote< This is the stupidest thing i've done to my truck so far, never should of had this idiotic flash done

Thats why when I got the recall I found out what it was a said "NO THANKS"
Old 08-07-2007, 08:45 AM

cosmojoe- No problem, glad it worked for you. That horn can be an embarrasment at times.

Mopardan- Yea I should of said no thanks aswell. A while ago I went to a dyno event, well I was the first to get on the rollers. I had my hood poped and I was backing up onto the ramps, well my door was open so I could line myself up. I totally forgot about the horn thing and 2 guys were standing in front of the engine looking at it, when that horn started going crazy those two guys jumped back. lol , I felt bad but the rest of the guys w/ Dodges there knew why it went off.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think the best way to fix this is to get a truck with the right tranny in it in the first place. Manual trannys are the best! Just kidding tho. The brake thing is a good idea, simple and no rewiring.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmojoe
haven't heard about this in sometime. was wondering if anyone has come up with the soulution to fix this dumb safety problem??? very annoying haveing the **** horn go off while backing with door open.
simple.... close the door