3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Horn Chirp

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn Chirp

I would like to disable the horn chirp on lock feature. I can not get this feature to dissable after many attempts and following instructions to the tee.

Things I have done that did not work:
1) Followed procedure in owner's manual.
2) Followed procedure on a card that hung from the mirror in my new truck (same instructions as owner's manual).
3) Searched these forums and followed two different procedures (one the same as the owner's manual).
4) Tried all of the procedures again with the second key provided by the dealer.

The procedure in the owner's manual starts outside the truck. You press and hold the lock button for 4-10 seconds and then press and release the panic button, releasing both at the same time. Tried this many times with no result.

The procedure I found on this forum starts with sitting inside the truck, seatbelt on and key in the on position. I will not restate the entire procedure, but I followed it to a tee. Tried this many times with no result.

Before I take this in to the dealer (yuk), is there anything else I can try?

This is very annoying to me and to my neighbors.

Love the truck. Hate the horn chirp.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe time to swing by the dealership. They can do it with a computer gizmo connected to the truck in 5 mins. Don't let them charge you.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:51 PM

I just did this on my truck a couple of days ago. It did take 3 trys to get it to work. I don't know how close your timing needs to be when releasing both buttons at the same time. Maybe let someone else try it for you. If your married, your wife will probably get it first try.

I just grasping at straws here.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate mine too. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so da** loud! Most other vehicles have a light honk but man are these new trucks loud. I need to disable mine too because I have a bad habit of hitting it after we get out of the truck and my girlfriend is walking right in front of the truck. Then I get 'the look'. Whoops.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because you had a card hanging from your mirror, that implies that they recently changed the procedure and wanted to make owners aware of it who didn't get an updated owner's manual. You apparently got the updated owner's manual since the two procedures match. Anyway, ignore the stuff you found here (starting in the truck) and use the procedure on the card or your owner's manual.

Since I can't find an 07 shop manual on the web yet, do you mind posting what's on the card/in the owner's manual for an 07?

No offense but computers are smarter than we are and they are correct more often than we are. My guess is you are missing something. Keep trying.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by handymantim
No offense but computers are smarter than we are and they are correct more often than we are.
They are only as smart as the person who programmed them
Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by dbunhook
I would like to disable the horn chirp on lock feature. I can not get this feature to dissable after many attempts and following instructions to the tee.

Things I have done that did not work:
1) Followed procedure in owner's manual.
2) Followed procedure on a card that hung from the mirror in my new truck (same instructions as owner's manual).
3) Searched these forums and followed two different procedures (one the same as the owner's manual).
4) Tried all of the procedures again with the second key provided by the dealer.

The procedure in the owner's manual starts outside the truck. You press and hold the lock button for 4-10 seconds and then press and release the panic button, releasing both at the same time. Tried this many times with no result.

The procedure I found on this forum starts with sitting inside the truck, seatbelt on and key in the on position. I will not restate the entire procedure, but I followed it to a tee. Tried this many times with no result.

Before I take this in to the dealer (yuk), is there anything else I can try?

This is very annoying to me and to my neighbors.

Love the truck. Hate the horn chirp.
I am having the exact same problem. Can't turn off the horn chirp on my '07. I have followed the procedure that starts outside the truck exactly several times and it does not work. I also have been unable to disable the feature that automatically locks the doors once you start driving. I think that there must be more recent info on programming these that has not been distributed yet. I know that the programming procedure changed from '05 to '06 so maybe there is another change for '07.

I hate going to the dealers for anything so I was hoping that somebody else might know the work-around for this??

The horn chirp is horribly loud and has to go!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 AM

Hey guys, the same thing happening to me on my 2007....tried everything,no cigar,then took it to the dealer and they couldn't disable it either.They said they would do it with their gizmo when i bring it in for my first oil change.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 PM

Thumbs down Mine too.......

I think my neighbor is about to shoot me! I bet I have tried 20 time to program the **** thing in the last two weeks with no luck!! Must be something new with the 07's as my 06 worked on the 1st try!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:25 AM

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and am new to Dodge Cummins Diesel. I have a 2007 Mega Cab 4x4 auto, 5.9l.
I just had the dealership stop the horn from chirping when I secured the doors with the key fob. Also, now I can open the door with the truck in gear and the horn does not go off. Great!!!!!
Pleasent surprise. I am liking this truck more each day.
I really enjoy this forum you folks have. It is a bit more mature than the site I spent the last 3 years with. Keep up the good job. Wayne
Old 12-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Welcome Aboard!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:17 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The procedure in the owner's manual starts outside the truck. You press and hold the lock button for 4-10 seconds and then press and release the panic button, releasing both at the same time.
This worked for me on my 06, I just did it a few minutes ago, my manual has the other instructions (In the cab) and I had no flag on my mirror nor in my glovebox.

What does yours say about disabling the 2 keystroke unlock?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM

This is what I used on my 06.

While standing outside the truck, press and hold the lock button for at least 4 seconds (but less than 10). While still holding the lock button, press and hold the panic button. Release both buttons together.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You're crazy Buddy...You're crazy!!!

That's what they were saying above. What do you have for getting rid of the 2 step unlock all doors.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 PM

Triple dog will fix those problems on an 06. I wonder if it would work on the 2007.

Quick Reply: Horn Chirp