3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Homemade dash mount for Microsoft Zune 80

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade dash mount for Microsoft Zune 80

I was bored today and lately I've been getting aggrevated by not having an ideal way to use my Zune while driving my truck. I wanted an easy way to see what is playing, change the song, etc., without fumbling around and getting distracted from driving.

I looked around for what was available on the Internet for mounts and really wasn't happy with the options I could find. So, today I set out to make my own.

I used some scrap aluminum that I had laying on the work bench from an old project. Cut and bent it to the appropriate size and shape. I did mess up my first run and made the it too tight for the Zune to fit in. Oh well, do over.

Here is what I came up with for a final product.

This is one of those two holes in the dash that I could never figure out a purpose or use for until now. This is where I ended up mounting my holder.

In the older.

I lined it with some felt fabric I picked up from the fabric store for less than a dollar.

Made sure I cut a notch out for the USB/Charger connection.

View of the back. I painted it black, but left the sides the bare aluminum. The bracket I made to mount it with got pretty banged up because of several do overs on getting it positioned correctly, drilling out the rivets over and over, bending, hammering, etc. You can't see any of this when it is mounted though.

In the truck, while in Drive to show how it would looking when driving. Perfect spot really. I can see it really easily, and reach it just as easy as the radio to change the song.

Another view.

I ended up using the hole to hide the bundled up extra wire from the audio cable. This I didn't plan for, but it worked out very well. I plan to have a custom cable made just the right length eventually. I also plan to do the same for the charger cord, nice and short, straight shot to the cigarette lighter for power.

The only thing this really cost me was a little time, and it was fun to make. Just thought I'd share.

ben
Old 10-17-2009, 06:01 PM

Pretty slick!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:32 PM

nice job man! Id rather make something than buy it anyday.......job well done
Old 10-17-2009, 07:47 PM
WL.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now if you could just find something better to listen to on it What holds it on there? The lip on the back connects/slides between where? Looks great!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:52 PM

That bracket on the back is how I secured it. Just ran some screws up through the ceiling of that hole in the dash.

As far as the music goes, I'm knew someone would give me grief about that. I have a very large variety on my Zune, just happened to be what was next in the list.

ben
Old 10-18-2009, 02:38 AM

Very nice... I took the easy way and bought the hockey puck mount and mounted it in front of where the transfer case would mount. I have been to lazy to wire in a cigarette lighter behind the dash to power it.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a really cool install. Thanks for sharing .... I've got the Gears of War edition Zune and needed an idea on how to mount it.

Kris
Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Crappy photo of my setup... The base has a charger and audio out put. Just needed to drop in a cigarette outlet behind the dash so the power wire is hidden.