3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Home made cold weather fronts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home made cold weather fronts?

Has anyone made their own cold weather front for their 3rd gen?

Pictures would be great!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 AM

I don't have any pic available right now, but I used glass board (stuff they line car washes with) and cut it to fit just behind the grill. It is the thin stuff that has not been laminated to plywood. You can find it at Menards in the paneling section.

It takes 2 pieces due the frame behind the grill, one driver, one passenger side. It will flex to the shape of the grill. I then used 3 stainless steel screws and washers per side to attach through the glass board to the back of the center bar of the grill pulling it tight against the grill.

Ends up with a nice shiny clean white behind the chrome grill on my white truck.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piece of cardboard between the intercooler and radiator. Works for me, just don't forget to take it out in the spring.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a piece of luaun plywood zip tied to the back side of the grille on my old truck that seemed to work well. Similar to what knc did, it worked well but was not beautiful. I like the idea of using something that can be painted to match the truck. (or at least closely match) I was even thinking about a couple of pieces of thin plexiglass installed behind the grille.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:22 PM

My stuff was left over from a tub surround project so it didn't cost me anything. Nice thing about the glass board is it is stiff enough to hold shape yet flexible enough to pull up against the back of the grill. Very much like plexiglass which I did consider. If I can find a pic over the weekend, I'll see if I can get it posted.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM

yepper. . .took a piece of foam backed Vynal (SP??) and have used it the last three seasons. I cut it to cover the grill and just attach it to the back side with wire ties. Some folks argue that I should leave some space open in the middle for the fan. Well three seasons and no fan clutch issues. Total cost, zero, had the stuff left over from some upholstery work, just spray painted it flat black.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Chapter President

Here are my winter fronts. I just painted them to match my truck. They work ok, i also still put the cardboard between the inter/rad when it's really cold.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Looks good. I think I will be looking for some plexiglass. Thanks for the pics.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:20 AM

At what temps do you need these.
I have 30 in the morning and 45 at night.
My drive is 30 mins freeway.
The engine seems to get up to temp after about 5 minutes of driving with a 4 minute warm up first.
Is this only for long haul guys?
Thanks, I don't want to see my temp gauge rising above the norm and have to get out and remove it on the freeway.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Here are my winter fronts. I just painted them to match my truck. They work ok, i also still put the cardboard between the inter/rad when it's really cold.
what brand are those fronts?

thanks
Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Chapter President

Here they are
http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/st...106677729.html
Old 11-22-2008, 09:08 PM

Do you cardboard guys cover the whole radiator? I've been told that if you're not covering the whole thing you should place the cardboard in the center,not off to one side.It's something to do with the air pressure difference caused by having half covered and half not.It can cause the plastic fan to flex as it passes the cardboard causing it to weaken over time.
It sorta sounds like B.S. but it also sounds like a reasonable concern.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet

Thanks- but they only seem to make them for up through 05.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 AM

how much cardboard?

I cut a 27 by 16 inch piece and slipped it between the intercooler and the radiator.
There's a horizontal brace that far down and I just let it sit on top of that.
I wrapped the top edge with duct tape to strengthen, punched holes with an awl and used 3 zip ties to connect it to the 3 holddowns for the radiator overflow hose that were convenient, seems real secure.
This effectively covers 70% of the radiator as well as the tranny cooler.
By the time that wind passes through the grill, AC rad and intercooler it's probably been slowed so much as to not affect the fan. JMHO.

I just took a good run at 40 degrees and the truck warmed to full opertaing temp after 8 minutes with just warming up till the grid heater laid off.
Temp gauge now sits about 10 to 15 degrees hotter a needle width under 200degrees.

I'll leave it on till spring.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:24 AM

I use a piece of that plastic cardboard look material (political sign material) cut to fit. Last year to year and doesn't fall apart.

Quick Reply: Home made cold weather fronts?