3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

HF OBD-II Scanning Tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HF OBD-II Scanning Tool

Can anyone confirm that the OBD-II scanning tool from Harbor Freight will work with our trucks? I'd like to be able to read/ERASE codes. This bare bones scanner appears to suit my needs, but I'd like to get a "yep, I've used it and it worked" before I go down and order/buy it. Thanks.

[URL=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46030]
Old 08-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Found another better looking model here for $55. Not sure about buying the CAN-OBDII unit or just plain OBDII?

DIY Diagnostics
Old 08-28-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by v12xke
Found another better looking model here for $55. Not sure about buying the CAN-OBDII unit or just plain OBDII?

DIY Diagnostics
I would buy a CAN compatible scanner because ALL cars/trucks have to be CAN by 2008. plus they will do both instead of just OBDII
CAN= control area network

You might want to call and ask about the Cummins compatibility with that scanner. Not all scanners work with diesels.

This is the scanner I use.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:27 PM
wap

What s the price on that one
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Chapter President

I tried the black on from HF and it was a POS. Took it back for refund. I added a few bucks and bought an Actron.

They have another one now that is orange, like an Actron, but I haven't looked at it.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 PM

My Actron OBD II will not work on my 06 truck.
It has worked on everything else I have tried it on including my 05 Dodge Caravan.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Chapter President

Which one do you have? I don't have it handy, but I have the 9145 (?), the bigger one. Not long after I bought it, I found out about the CAN bus. I called Actron and found out mine is already the upgraded model. There is an upgrade for the older models that is about $50.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Which one do you have? I don't have it handy, but I have the 9145 (?), the bigger one. Not long after I bought it, I found out about the CAN bus. I called Actron and found out mine is already the upgraded model. There is an upgrade for the older models that is about $50.
Mine is the 9135, I will check on the upgrade.
Would be cheaper than buying another scanner.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by wap
What s the price on that one
this is MSRP

but you can get them on ebay for......

ebay price

when you buy from Ebay your still buying from the manufacturer, but at a lower price!

plus it comes with a dyno program it's pretty fun to play with.
I have never tried to hook it up to my new truck yet, I only have 700 miles on the truck. I'm pretty sure it would work on the new truck, but not 100% sure.

*EDIT* it looks like in order to read CUMMINS codes you have to buy the expansion software.***

Something we offer that the others don’t:

True Plug-n-Play USB 2.0 interface1

Factory scan tool options available (not included in base kit)
All generic scan tools can only access the powertrain, no matter what SAE Modes (J1979/J2190) they use for communication. With our expansions, you can access dozens of systems (ABS, transmission, GEM, SRS/Airbags, Instrument Cluster, etc.) generic scan tools can't even see. This gives you access to thousands of sensors and dozens of bi-directional controls/system tests. Click here to see our enhanced support for Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, and Chrysler.

***Optional expansions allowing you to communicate with non-OBD-II ***vehicles like the Powerstroke, Duramax, and Cummins diesels. ****

Bi-directional support. You have the ability to initiate system and component tests2

Mode 6 support. If a system test fails, now you can see the results from the failing component; not just the system. Our Mode 6 data is fully translated so you don't have to waste hours looking the scale and definitions.2

Mode 9 support. Full ECM information including CAL, CVN, and VIN reporting

Support for CAN and even the CAN 6x Mode3

Support for the new extended sensor list (83 sensors--supporting the EOBD 2005 additions)

ALL the OBD-II vehicle interfaces in a single cable, rugged case. This is a savings of hundreds of dollars over the competitors' units
Old 08-28-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the Can-OBDII scanner from Harbor frieght Item # 94169 and is Orange for my 04.5, and it works absolutly fine. and yes it erases codes. It takes a few minutes to scan and while doing so it will flash the parking lites and do some routine but then it offers a menu of I believe 5 items, shows codes, erases codes, gives VIN and I forget the others.

I bought it on sale 5 weeks ago as I had the black one for $29 and it was a piece of junk and they offered me to return it for this one for an additional $10 so total cost was $39.95.

Good luck, for me it was worth it.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:44 PM

I'm going to hook mine up to the new truck and see if it works without the expansion software.
I will report later tomorrow

Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 AM

I used the basic auto ingenuity out of the box to read a code on my 06 and reset it awhile back (intake temp inconsistent). If I'm not mistaken, the expansion pack gives you more coverage on the drive train sensors, but its been awhile since I looked. The device worked well on all four cars I tried it on and it has provisions to store a baseline sensor reading for later comparison as well as recording as you drive. You do need a windoz PC (lap top) with USB to run it on, and it would be an expensive piece of software if you did not have a lap top already on hand.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by donhov
I bought the Can-OBDII scanner from Harbor frieght Item # 94169 and is Orange for my 04.5, and it works absolutly fine. and yes it erases codes. It takes a few minutes to scan and while doing so it will flash the parking lites and do some routine but then it offers a menu of I believe 5 items, shows codes, erases codes, gives VIN and I forget the others.

I bought it on sale 5 weeks ago as I had the black one for $29 and it was a piece of junk and they offered me to return it for this one for an additional $10 so total cost was $39.95.

Good luck, for me it was worth it.
Donhov, I could not find a #94169. Hopefully it's not discontinued.I found a HF # 94168 Is this the model you have? Looks kinda red in the picture with two buttons. It probably comes down to what stock is carried in each store. I have the '04.5 as well, so I'm interested in getting what you have, so I know it will work. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No the one you found # 94168 does not have the CanBus capabilities and is red in color and was the same price as the # 94169. The one I got was one of the last ones in the local Lansing Michigan store though and I did not do a catalog serch for it. The one you saw is red, the one I got is definatly orange and looks like one in one of the above posts selling for $69 or so and has 2 buttons for changing operations. (Saw the post but don't remember whose it was above). Think the one I got listed on the sticker for $59 but it was on sale for $39 at least a few weeks ago.

Don