3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help.. Thinking of buying 06 cummins Former 12v owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help.. Thinking of buying 06 cummins Former 12v owner

Well like I posted in the 12v section my g friend wrecked my truck

Anyways looking at getting a 06 diesel 4x4 quad cab auto. Has about 85K miles with bulldog power pug and afe stg 2. Other than that it is stock.

Anything to be concerned about? If I buy the truck I plan on changing fluids but other than that what would I need to do?

More fuel or do the lift pumps not go out like the 98.5-02 24v taking out the injection pump?
The 06 has the little face lift right?

Any other info would be awesome!
Really liked the 6 speed auto in the 6.7 but don't want to spend that kind of $$.
Have only driven one 06 5.9 and not 100% about it. This one I will have to travel to get.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your '98.

Lift pumps seems to be pretty reliable with stock power on '06's.

Look for normal stuff on these trucks...

Ball joints, u-joints, transmission, etc.

Cycle the HVAC controls and fan for proper operation. If you search blend door or recirculating door, you will know what I'm talking about.

Yes, the '06's received larger headlights than the '03-'05's had.

The cloth interiors supposedly stain very easily as well.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by megacabdad
Sorry to hear about your '98.

Lift pumps seems to be pretty reliable with stock power on '06's.

Look for normal stuff on these trucks...

Ball joints, u-joints, transmission, etc.

Cycle the HVAC controls and fan for proper operation. If you search blend door or recirculating door, you will know what I'm talking about.

Yes, the '06's received larger headlights than the '03-'05's had.

The cloth interiors supposedly stain very easily as well.

Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah really sucks

Another rare one gone and it ran great. 123k miles when she did it in
Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 PM

Come on guys! 40 views and one response!

I have searched just wondering with a truck with that miles. Mostly highway non towing.

Anybody?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 PM

After reading this thread I am not so sure....
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=1#post2476453
I really don't need a diesel but like the power.

Considering a Toyota Tundra 07-08 or a 04-06 duramax....
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 AM

That truck in the other thread sounds like it is cursed and was made on a friday.

I got mine with 96K miles so ti still had 4k miles to go on the engine warranty, well that came and went and i was trying to find a reason to bring it in. Other than a P/S hose that got rubbed through i have had no problems. What about looking at an 03-05 ?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 AM

51k and never any problems really. They driver side speaker made funny sound, but dealer fixed and all is good. 4:10 and auto. Get 15mph town and 18 highway at 75mph. Love mine shorty.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Forums seem to magnify problems, since people often only post when they have a problem.

The 3rd gen common rail trucks are quieter, more refined, start quicker and easier in the cold and are generally pretty nice.

The 06 would have an in tank lift pump, which appear to be an improvement from the filter mounted one on earlier 3rd gens. From what I've heard when the lift pump fails on a 3rd gen, the truck generally stops, and no apparent damage to the CP3 pump.

The common rails seem to have occasional injector issues. Make sure it starts quickly cold and warm, and that it idles smoothly and quietly.

I'd be a little hesitant to buy one that has power adding stuff, especially if it has a stock auto transmission.

Broken blend door or mode doors in the HVAC housing, as mentioned above, have generated quite a few threads. Make sure both sides of the cab get cold air on AC, and respond to change in temp selection. Also make sure all modes (vent, floor, defrost) work as they should.

Hopefully the GF was OK- and good luck with your shopping.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 AM

I absolutely LOVE my 2006. I had the blend door problem, other than that my truck has gone down the road flawlessly. I tow a lot, all pretty heavy loads, no problems. I'd buy another one in a NY minute.

I hope your GF is OK.

CD
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With 70K most of which is heavy towing, the 06 is the best truck I have had so far. Really no issues. The seats did stain easy, the dealer cleaned them and then put some protective spray on them. Fix the problum, and that was my only warranty claim.

Biggest thing I would check for is how the ball joints are. Jack the front up and check for play.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM

With 62K no problems what so ever. I would look long and hard for a good one though as with any vehicle your considering.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys!

Very true about everyone speaking out when problems arrive.

Hope to settle with the insurance company today.. We will see

GF of 4 years is ok, bite her tongue, super sore jaw but not broken, and the airbag scrapes. Lucky really, if she would of been in her car she wouldn't be doing to well.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:36 PM

I went from an 01 to my 06 a little over a year ago. Im so glad I did. I love this truck. It had about 40k on it when I got it and about 55k or so now. I really wasn't sure Id like it, but it has just grown on me and grin everytime I drive it.

The recirc door busted shortly after I bought it. I pulled the fan out and threw the door away and it works fine without it except for no recirc.

Im watching the injectors as Ive had two mornings in the last year and a half that smoked a touch on start up.

The interior fabric sucks otherwise Im happy with it. I do prefer the 03-05 interior better (especially the black).

Overall, me and the wife love our truck. Im thinking a Megacab would have been nice with the dog and our little baby, but the quad is working fine.

Just be sure you look it over real good and use common sense. Don't let yourself become overwhelmed and just buy the first thing you see. I think we spent almost a year until this one popped out in front of us one day. Some are lemons and some aren't, just like any vehicle out there. The last two vehicles we have bought used were fresh trades and had not been cleaned. This showed us really how well treated they were since both were almost spotless inside. It can be amazing what a dealer can cover up.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the accident.

Have a good one!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:04 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I preffer my 03 over my buddy's 06 the interior on the newer models just doesn't do it for me. I like dark grey it's hard to stain and i like the nv5600 OD ratio better than the G56 ratio in the 05-07 era. the late model G56's went back to the lower OD.

with 3.73's and 35's i get great mileage 100k and counting
Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 PM

I love my 06. Ive got about 96k on mine with no real issues. I replaced all the front end components about 4k miles ago but with 470hp and 37's I cant complain.

Quick Reply: Help.. Thinking of buying 06 cummins Former 12v owner