3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help!!! Starscan; Can Bus and enabling options

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Starscan; Can Bus and enabling options

Does anyone know when the software update for the Starscan tool has/will be updated to allow enabling options on the 2006 model year trucks. I'm particularly waiting for the daytime running lights and High idle features. Thank you
Old 11-12-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just enabled a 06 yesterday that I had installed a Jake Brake on. Worked fine when I was done.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:13 AM

Sept/19/2005 update to Starscan tool

It looks like the 2006 DR (Dodge Ram I presume) didn't make the list of vehicles for enabling the DRL feature according to the Starscan update list of Sept/19/2005. Is this a correct interpretation of the current situation; for Mexican assembled trucks sold in the USA. Is there any possibility that previous Starscan versions already had this feature included and thus there was no need to mention it in the latest update?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 PM

I haven't had a chance to play with anymore 06's, but I have a problem child one coming in tommorow so I'll see what happens with the DRL's if I have a chance.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:51 PM

Good man!!
I was down to the Chrysler-Dodge dealer today; and his tecnician checked the Starscan proposed software update due to be received in the next two weeks via a compact disc. The Dodge Ram (DR) daytime running lights didn't seem to be specifically mentioned. That probably means at least another 2 months for the next update.
Everyone would deeply appreciate you continuing to share your first hand experience. Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:29 PM

In playing with my "problem child" today I did go into the "misc" section and the DRL option was not even on the menu. This was on an 06. The "enable high idle" was there, but of course wouldn't work since it was a stick shift. If I get a chance I'll get on the lot and check the one I put the Jake Brake on. I swear I saw that feature on the menu. Maybe I was dreaming.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of DRLs, how do you enable them on '05s? The service manager at my dealership looked for it on the DRBIII tool, but not real hard. Maybe J BODY will be kind enough to list the menu picks for us.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:40 AM

I could be wrong but I thought I read a post once along the same lines and the problem was that there isn't actually a "menu" item for DRL but rather you had to change the country option from USA to Canada as all new vehicles in Canada MUST have DRL. I believe once the Canada option was selected then DRL was automatically turned on. Like I said I could be wrong though.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard that too, but there has to be a more direct way because many of us have had the DRLs enabled without having "side-effects" such as metric units, etc. J BODY, where are you?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
J-Body, can you find out if this works for the 2004 6 spd...

Must install ‘Clutch Interlock Switch’ 05175417AA
Must go to dealer & get TSB 18-004-04 & get step 3 done

Its for high idle control on a Manual trans truck.

Scotty
Old 11-19-2005, 09:34 PM

I just read that Scotty. I'll have to research that as I'm sure with RV/snowbird season I'll soon be asked about that. It's amazing how "in tune" the snowbirds are with this site and TDR and their CTD's in general. Personally I had never heard of the interlock switch and am curious as to how it works. Trick will be finding a "stick" truck to look at. I bet 95% of the trucks I see have the auto trans.

CRX, I know on the older trucks that thier is a menu selection pertaining to the "country code", but being in AZ I really have never had a need to do DRL's. At tech training they actually told us NOT to do it due to legal mumbo jumbo.

Johmur, if I have the opportunity I'll try to hook in to that new truck I mentioned above and see if the menu item is there.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:37 PM

Keeping the thread alive

Thankyou to everyone for their comments. If you were in Canada; DRL's are not a little issue. Without working DRL's; (either factory or some aftermarket add-on); there is no way it can ever be registered in Canada; except after it gets to be 15 years old. It might just be easiest to get the model year changed.
Seriously; I do appreciate everyone's efforts and a special thanks to J Body. Further comments appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 12:43 PM

Reply from Daimler Chrysler

The following is Daimler Chrysler's response--------

"Thank you for contacting DaimlerChrysler.

Daytime running lights are not a feature or option available for
vehicles build for the United States. Additionally, DaimlerChrysler
would not be able to provide assistance in regards to modifying your
vehicle in anyway.

I am sorry I cannot give you a more favorable reply."

I think that history will show this to be a load of crap. A recent Starscan update allowed many Chrysler cars to have DRL's. In addition it is my understanding that fleet vehicles in the USA can have DRL's factory ordered. Does anyone know what is really going on at Chrysler; or do the hard working technicians and do-it-yourselfers have to figure out what can be done.
I do know that aftermarket DRL modules available from places like Canadian Tire do work. For vehicles like Dodge Ram trucks you need two of them because the headlight wiring is split into a left hand and a right hand circuit. It still astonishes me to think that you have to butcher the factory wiring to do something that the fancy and ultra modern Can Bus system is all ready to do. Thanks a lot Chrysler; but I doubt if you know what you are saying in this case.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:13 PM

I can spot a chevy with DRL's a mile away....one is usually burnt out!
Old 12-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
I just read that Scotty. I'll have to research that as I'm sure with RV/snowbird season I'll soon be asked about that. It's amazing how "in tune" the snowbirds are with this site and TDR and their CTD's in general. Personally I had never heard of the interlock switch and am curious as to how it works. Trick will be finding a "stick" truck to look at. I bet 95% of the trucks I see have the auto trans.

CRX, I know on the older trucks that thier is a menu selection pertaining to the "country code", but being in AZ I really have never had a need to do DRL's. At tech training they actually told us NOT to do it due to legal mumbo jumbo.

Johmur, if I have the opportunity I'll try to hook in to that new truck I mentioned above and see if the menu item is there.
You can use mine in a couple of weeks

Quick Reply: Help!!! Starscan; Can Bus and enabling options