3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

help me pick new tires...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me pick new tires...

Alright, after 40,000 miles the tires on my truck are just about done...Ok, so in reality the tread wasn't legal a few thousand miles ago, but oh well. The tread wear is fairly even-they are rotated every 6k miles and the dealer checks and adjusts the air pressure as necessary during oil changes (truck came with free oil changes, so I just get it done there and save myself the trouble for now)-I just assumed they are setting it to the right setting, but I'm wondering now if maybe the pressure was a bit too high-what do you all normally run when you're not towing?

I need new ones (staying with the stock 265/70R17 size), and seeing as I drive about 36k miles a year, I would love to get some that I don't have to replace every year, if this is even possible. I tow horses around frequently, probably tow a total of 5k miles a year (up and down mountains). I live in the mountains in Tahoe, commute every day down to Reno-the pass I drive is particularly winding and often snow-covered, so I need a tire that is going to be good in snow, and not worn out by next winter!
I'm trying to stay within a budget here as well...was hoping to get out the door around 800 total...but I am getting the feeling that I may have to throw that out the window as well...any recommendations?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Are you needing an all-terrian or something more highway (longer life).
Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelin LTX M&S load Range E. Not an agressive tire, but I had a set of these (new takeoff's off a Dodge, 2000 model) on a 1/2 ton GMC and they wore like iron. I put approx 40k on them and they seemed to have 1/2 tread at least, left. They did fine in a WI winter, but I had them aired down to about 35psi because the roads were always snowpacked.
BFG A/ T's have worn well for me and are great on snow and ice for a studless tire.
I have Pro Comp A/T's now and they are real good on snow as well and show no wear at about 10k mi.
If you're driving a mtn road (highway) every day though, in my experience you won't see more than 35k-40k mi out of any tires. The high speed turns scrub off too much tread. I used to commute from Bailer, CO to Denver daily. ABout a 30 mi mtn drive, and went through tires much quicker than when living in the flatlands.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:58 PM

I like the bridgestone dueller revo if you order from tire rack I think they are in the 180 range ,but a good tire I'm on my 2nd set.
Joe
Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 PM

If you want a highway tire, go with Michelin. They don't offer the M/S in a size that will fit a 17 inch rim, so that leaves the A/S. Michelin is the best tire made IMO.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM

I bought some oem takeoff BFG's for $400 on ebay. I believe Ford and Dodge were using the same tires so they are pretty easy to find.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Arkapigdiesel
If you want a highway tire, go with Michelin. They don't offer the M/S in a size that will fit a 17 inch rim, so that leaves the A/S. Michelin is the best tire made IMO.
I just had a set of Michelin A/S on some Dodge takeoff wheels I put on my Chev. The snow traction was not that great, even w/ the fronts down to 40psi and the rears at 30psi. They are pretty much a highway tire.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:29 AM

I take it that it's normal for you to drive 40,000 miles a year. So with that in mind you might want to look into commercial tires. I've seem several threads here on them so just do a search and you can find out a lot of good info on them. There is even info on where to buy the correct wheels for them in the thread. from what I recall from the threads they guys that bought them where quite happy with them. And there was alink to the company that sells the wheels. Which I think were either 19' or 19.5's but I can't remember for sure.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:08 PM

Deuler Revo comes in "E" range So does the Pirelli scorpion ATR both very good choices
Old 04-21-2007, 12:59 PM

Nobody has mentioned the new Wrangler Silent Armors. So far I'm very happy with them as they have a "highway tire" sound and feel and great traction off road. At least my version of off road. Here's a link.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=141547
Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 PM

My Michelins are 16's. LTX M/S as mentioned above. I have 81,000 miles on them now. Only one on the rear is on the tread wear indicator. Rotated every 10,000. Balanced correctly the first time around and ran with the recommended air pressure on the door.

I've said this before, I use to run 65 psi or more in my tires. I never could get any real miles out of the tires. If you have a dually you know they will wear in the middle first. So, one is throwing the tire away by over inflation.

I run 55 in the front and 50 in the rears. The 17's tires I understand are
65 up front and 55 in the rear?? I could be wrong. Anyway, I have a friend
with a 05 dually (General Tires) that has 50,000 and needs another set. He's looking around also. His 50,000 is all towing a 36ft Cari Lite. So, I think he did good, but he's worn out in the middle of the tires. He's going to run less air this time around and see what happens.

Michelin Tires are not perfect. I've been buying the same size tires since
1993 when I got rid of the Power Kings that came on my first 7.3 natural Ford Crew Cab. Out of that I'll bet I've had at least 15% of them had a problem. Most of the problems were pulling to the right hard, broken belts,
and improper balance. Most of the wear problems are related to the tire dealer not doing the balance job correctly. Its hard to get the tire and rim on the machine centered so it does not go left and right or up and down when spun to balance.

I tell the dealer up front that if I'm spending a 1000 dollars for tires, you'll balance them correctly and I stand there and watch. If they don't like that I go somewhere else. If a tire takes more weight than you think it should, have them change it out then or rotate it on the rim and try again.

They will want to spin the rim next before getting a new tire. If it spins ok, their tire was no good. Once and awhile you might have a rim out, if you have high mileage on them.

Dave
Old 04-21-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it's changed, but the last time I checked the Michelin M&S wre not offered in 17in load range E. The Michelin A/S are pretty humble tires for these trucks. I run studded Cooper M&S in the winter, they work well in the winter but would vaporize as summer highway tires, and am currently running Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor the rest of the year, which also seem to work well. They are one of the few regular tires that are also severe snow rated, seem to get good reviews, but some have complained about short tire life. They evidently now offer a 'veavy duty' version to address tire life on the heavier trucks.

People who use the BFG A/T as winter tires seem happy enough in snow but around here they don't always work on ice.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Michelin does now offer the LTX M/S in the 17" size

http://michelinman.com/michelin/vehicleInfoSubmit.do

If the link does not go there just do the search for the year truck.

You were right, in the past this tire was not offered in the 17" size.

Dave
Old 04-21-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only see a 235/80-17 in load range E, for the duallys.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:01 PM

There is little or no differance between the 235x85x16 tire and 235x80x17 in height. That is the tire size Michelin and Goodyeard offer for the 2003, 2004 2005, 2006 and 2007 Dodges. I don't know what size you have on yours.

The 265 x 70 x17 is offered but not required for the 2500's.

Dave

Quick Reply: help me pick new tires...