3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help me with my 3500s rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me with my 3500s rear suspension

I have the truck in sig (3500 SRW Mega). I have an RV - a 34' "bumper pull" trailer that weighs in around 9000#, with a 1200 - 1300# tongue weight.

The problem I'm having is this. When I go camping, I typically load up the generator, firewood, kids bikes, dog, etc, etc...and the bed is full of stuff. With the trailer hooked up, I'm about 1" from the overloads contacting the frame perches. No issue so far. The issue I have is when I'm driving, and hit a bump in the road, I hear this annoying "clunk" as the overload springs come into contact.

I've been thinking of a few different solutions. I plan to remedy this when the weather warms up - it's cold here right now.

I've been looking at these (in yellow) called SuperSpring SuperSway stops:

And these, called TorkLift Stable loads:

Problem is, they want $160 for a set of either one of these - and I'm cheap . I think $160 is a bit much for four little chunks of rubber.

So, I've been thinking of just unbolting the pads that are there now, inserting a piece of square steel tubing, and re-bolting in the pad. I just don't want to have any problems should I bottom out the suspension sometime. I'd think this option would cost $40 total.

Something like this:

With any of these 3, when the RV is hooked up and the bed full, it'd likely be sitting on the overloads and there'd be no more clunk, and a bit less sag, and a bit more stability. I was used to my 2002 2500 that had really stiff rear suspension in comparison to this SRW 3500, but the SRW 3500 rides much nicer.

What do you guys think of these 3 solutions?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 PM

As you see in both pictures air bags is the way to go. Keeps the truck level when towing and smooth when unloaded. Yea it may cost a bit more, but the flexability it gives you is worth it. Mine did the same clunk over bumps before not now
Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM

I know you said you're cheap, but I'd consider timbrens or some pacbrake airbags instead of any of those options. Allows you to carry a heavier load without as much sag, and will ride better with the load too.

Shawn
Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Air Bags will solve it. Even their pictures show air bags.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another vote for air bags...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM

ib516...I use to own an 06 2500 that I towed my 5th wheel camper with and experienced the same problem remedy with Firestone Ride Rite bags and definitely spend the extra for the onboard compressor. It's nice to adjust them right from the cab. Airbags will give you an extar 2000lbs of carrying capacity. Just my 2cents
Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by jp39bfd
ib516...I use to own an 06 2500 that I towed my 5th wheel camper with and experienced the same problem remedy with Firestone Ride Rite bags and definitely spend the extra for the onboard compressor. It's nice to adjust them right from the cab. Airbags will give you an extar 2000lbs of carrying capacity. Just my 2cents

I got the air bags too But Cheeped out and picked up a 10 dollar compressor.
put the ends in my cab (right by the kicker panel inside the left pass door side.)
the kids do not hit it with heir feet and they are always clean.
I have seen them in the fuel fill spot.. and in the rear license plate.
but just above the rubber in the CAB side by the rear door works for me..

YES i wish i had gotten the on board air but it was like 300 bucks...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM

if your only hitting the overloads while going over a bump or pothole.

take the spacer from between the spring pack and overload. and place it above the over load. it'll give you about 5/8" more travel before the overload comes into play.

takes about an hour to do both sides, be sure to use jack stands, wheel chocks and a torque wrench.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Not interested in air bags, I don't have any real sag that I am trying to fix. When I'm all loaded up and hooked up to the RV, the truck is just level. No rear end squat that looks bad. Airbags are a bigger expense than the rubber bumpers.

It's just the "clunk" sound I want to eliminate.

**Just to add, when researching these things, they are advertised as being used with airbags because the addition of airbags typically takes the overload springs out of the equation as they no longer get used.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same issue and went with Timbrens. Upgraded the shocks to Bilstein and everything is great towing. Without the Bilstein shocks I had an annoying bounce in the front end over bumpy bridges and such.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not really your springs, is it? Sure doesn't look like mine! Must be from an ad. Anyway, my truck already had bags or I would have put them on. You don't need OL springs with bags. I cut the ends off my bottom OLs and when I'm loaded I put air in the bags so the top over loads only hit on craters. I think there's cheaper bags (rated about 2000lbs) that you might like, if your top OL springs aren't really necessary. Then you could take the top OL springs out. Craig
Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 AM

No brainer

Air bags.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 AM

I have the Pac Brake air bags and think they'd work for you too.
I'm thinking about either remoing the factory overloads or just removing the snubbers on the frame.
I would not put the spacer in, I imagine the truck would be very stiff and bouncy once the spacer contacts the over loads.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM

Since you are towing BP and are more into your suspension than a 5th wheel or GN due to the hitch being behind the axle, it does make you more prone to 'dropping into' the overloads every time your truck hits a slight dip or bounces. That is exactally what those 'spring bumps' were designed for. Air Bags would greatly improve your ride and take out the problem. I have a neighbor who had the same complaint as you, he actually added another spacer to increase the distance to the overload springs. I don't know how that's working out for him, but he has quit complaining. He picked them up from a spring shop for something like $25/pair. Had enough length in his U-bolts to add them, didn't need to buy new u-bolts. CHEAP FIX?

The pic you reference, isn't that a Ford setup? Air bags for a Dodge sit on the axle housing inside/next to the springs.

CD
Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM

None of the photos in my first post are of my truck. The one I linked to was just one I found online of the square tubing idea to show you what I meant.

Here is my truck and the RV:

Here is a picture of my actual truck's rear suspension the way it is now:

As you can see from the first picture, there is no sag, even when hitched up and loaded up.

Oh well, I'll either go with the 2x2 square tubing or the torklifts.

Quick Reply: Help me with my 3500s rear suspension