3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help me make truck decision please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went from a 05 tacoma to a 05 2500 short box mega cab. I went with dodge because of the reliability of the cummins. I wanted a truck that would last forever and coming from the automotive industry ( family from grat grandparents till recent have owned parts stores and repair shops ) I knew that ford and chevy both had issues with motors. I am a die hard ford lover but I hate the 6.0. Just like I wanted an automatic but I got the 6 speed and never look back. It is a pleasure to drive and trust me 100% more comfortable then a tacoma to ride in. Plus it is cheaper to rebuild a straight 6 verse a v8 anyways.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:25 PM

I have a dodge it rides like a truck and I work mine. I tow anywhere from 7000 lbs. to 18,000 lbs with a automatic all the time. No problems yet knock on wood. Stock except str8 thru muff. and holes in the airbox. Had 1 problem with drainback valve for tranny. And a injector alls well now.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM

It'd be nice if you could post threads to the GM sites you asked this question on. I for one am always interested in what the competition has to say.

thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 11:48 AM

Great info! I am also looking at a 2500 4x4 6 speed. I drive a Titan right now and love the truck. Nissan makes a great 1/2 ton, but it's just that, a 1/2 ton.
In everyone's opinion, is the extra cost of the diesel recaptured in mpg?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:02 PM

I too am considering a Dodge for my next diesel. From everything I've read on here, you can't dispute the Cummins vs the competition but how much truth is there to the rumor that the body and other accessories are fragile and easily damage? I've heard this quite a few times from both owners and non owners.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:47 PM

I have had my DC over two years now. My first choice at that time would have been the Duramax. I chose Dodge for the simple reason that my brother in law owned the dealership and I qualified for the employees plan.
Now, two years later, I am very happy with the decision. If I had it to do over again and price equal the Dodge would be my first choice. My fuel economy has been fantastic. Last week, a 350 mile r/t to Jackson, WY, I got 20.8 hand calculated. (20.4 overhead) This week with 250 miles on the odometer, half of it on dirt and two track roads going to my favorite fishing hole, my overhead is reading 19.4. Last winter, I averaged over 20 on a 2400 mile trip to Arizona--on winter fuel.
Even after bumping around on rough roads in Wyoming, it is still very tight. No rattles anywhere.
I have also found the extended cab to be comfortable for passengers. I am 6'5" and 225 pounds. I don't drive with the seat fully retracted. Not only is it more comfortable for me, but it gives the occasional passengers sufficient leg room to fit adequately in the back. I know the extended cab GM trucks have much less room in the rear. Frankly, I don't see much need for a quad cab in the Dodge. The extended cab in most situations is plenty adequate.
I have no criticism of the GM products. My message is that I am very pleased with my experience with the Dodge.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:49 PM

I note your doing landscaping, if you need maneuverabiltiy and still want 4 doors etc, the dodge wheel base is the same the others ext-cabs. Makes for easy handling in tight situations. One of bigger reasons I chose the Dodge. Granted the others have more room in the full 4 doors but for other than long distances the space is adquate for even the big guys. That extra 1 1/2 feet in wheel base makes a big difference. I'm come from years of Fords and this is a nice ride, still miss some of the options and design they had.

I too was having a difficult time between the GM and D/C, the above reason and the reliability of Cummins, yea, was a little less cost but not an issue. If I was doing it all over, who knows, maybe the Duramax would be in the garage. They may have the best ride (GM) but, under certain the conditions (large dip) the GM gives you a jolt from the rear, Dodge handles those conditions better.

I have been VERY disappointed in the off-road capabilities of the Dodge, plane sucks. I attribute this to the A/A anti-slip, depending on where your located, this maynot be an issue.

Either way, dont think you can go wrong.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodge was my first choice due to family pricing. I have ahd many problems all fuel related. After talking to many, guess I got the perveriable lemon but still for ride quality, transmission strength (I have the auto) and brute pulling power still would buy the Dodge. Coming up from Flordia to Michigan pulling my 12K 5th wheel, I could easially pass anything close to my size and I have the 2500 and am at max GVW at 19960.

JMHO

Don
Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 PM

Opinions are like . . .

Take this for what it's worth . . . I'm on my second Dodge diesel. I first fell in love with the Cummins when my dad bought a new 3/4 auto in 2001. The first thing I did when I graduated college was buy a 3/4 5 spd with a few mods. Drove the truck a lot. Ran great, pulled like a mule and looked awesome. I just bought an '06 3/4 auto and like it even better. Both of mine have had the Laramie package and I tend to like the interior of the Dodge, even the goofy wood paneling crap. I know guys that own Duramax and they are happy with them as well, but pulling up a hill they lose the battle with the Dodge. I haven't gotten to pull too much with the new truck, but with my '01 5 spd I could drop in 5th on the highway pulling just about any trailer and never take it out of 5th gear till I needed to exit the highway. Since riding in and driving my truck, two of my friends have switched over from gas trucks to Cummins diesels.

To the question about fuel economy vs. price . . . I would have to say that without a question the increased mileage you get with the Cummins makes up for .20 a gallon more in price. My buddy that just got his diesel went from 7 mpg pulling a 16 ft enclosed trailer to 15 mpg on the same trailer at the same speed.

Thomas
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 PM

Well, I have owned them all. In this generation, I have owned an 02' Ford, 04' Chevy, a 05' dodge (still own), and am ordering a new 07' dodge. With the 3k you plan to haul, any one of them will do that fine. Go to 8k with some tongue load, and hold on to that chevy. With alot of tongue load, them torsion bars start to bounce, and I mean bounce. I was pulling my 30' enclosed threw rush hour, and while going around a bend at 70mph, the front end got to bouncing so bad, I lost front grip, the wheel turned oh so slighty, and when she came down, I had my hands full, luckily I didnt hit anyone. That was with about 7k behind me. The power is great with both the Chevy and Dodge. The Chevy is plush, no doubt about it. The seats are great. It is hands down the nicer truck to drive empty, or pulling a small load. I will not buy another one though, as I pull alot of weight. The Allison keeps you in the right gear alot better than the 48re. But if your not pulling a ton of weight, and not going over some huge passes, it will never come out of OD anyhow, so who cares. Money is not an object in my decision with my new truck. It will be a new Dodge. And there is no way I am getting rid of my 05' either, just to good of a truck.
Get what you like, and enjoy the he!! out of it.