3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help me decide: SLT or Laramie

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goose2
For your info. For 06 the laramie has a painted bumper on the front.
Should have been quicker with the post button I guess.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:30 PM

Love my Laramie.....Half painted front bumper......The practical goodies I don't know if you can get them on an SLT.....Power sliding rear window! Ever tried to open or close one in a quad cab driving down the road? Not easy! Power sun roof....Good ventalation! No noise or wind buffiting! Heated seats....not much more to say about that! Electric 4x4....would prefer the manual but if you think there are no electronics involved in the manual I have bad news for you....I can't tell you if it worth it or not.....but I spend more time in my truck than at home...I'm gonna enjoy it!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM

I have the power sliding rear window in my SLT... don't like sun roofs... have one in the Explorer and I keep it shut and the shade shut 'cause I can't stand the sun beating down on my melon! I do like leather though...

Tony
Old 03-28-2006, 03:55 PM

"Power sliding rear window": Optional on either SLT or Larimie, pay either way

"Power sun roof": Optional on either SLT or Larimie, pay either way

"Heated seats": I believe these are optional on the SLT, so that doesn't force your choice either

So far, none of the above REQUIRES a choice between the SLT or Larimie, and they're all extra cost options regardless of which model you choose.

Bottom line: Get the documentation and do a feature comparison for yourself. Don't trust anyone including the dealer/salesman. Find out what things are **exclusive** to the Larimie, and then decide if they're worth the extra $3000-4000.

I did all of this and decided they weren't worth that much money. By the time you get the SLT plus Big Horn package, you've got everything important. I gave strong consideration to the sunroof and could have ordered one on my SLT (add $1000 whether SLT or Larimie), but the dealer gave me an extra discount for taking a truck he had in stock. Since it matched my requirements in every single detail except the sunroof, I took it and saved the extra incentive, plus the $1000, plus the 1-3 month wait for a custom order. So far I haven't missed the sunroof.

Do your own homework and make your own decision. It's the only way you'll know for SURE you made the correct choice for YOU.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:30 PM

I keep my trucks a long time so I usually get the better interior and a completely loaded truck . If I traded every few years I would probably have got the SLT instead of the Laramie package . I bought a new Ford Ranger 3/4 ton in 1978 and in 1991 a new Cummins and then in 2004 another Cummins and my next new truck should be in 2017 if history repeats itself .
Old 03-28-2006, 04:34 PM

It will be a cheaper or maybe equal to buy a Larimie on the lot than to order a SLT with some of the cushy Larimie standards.....They didn't have any SLT's in the N.W. at the time I got mine with much more than the Bighorn stuff or it was a SWB They knocked $9,000 off MSRP plus a sprayed bed liner.....But there ain't nothin wrong with the SLT....there may be more of them on the lots now with more options!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Oh, no question that it is cheaper to order a package than the components individually. Just like it's cheaper to order a new truck than buy all the parts and assemble it yourself [grin]. That's why he needs to see what's really IN the Larimie package and decide if it's worth the extra money. It may be that he just wants one or two "Larimie standard" things, in which case it may be cheaper to get the SLT and add just the things that matter to him - while NOT paying for the ones that don't.

The one thing I missed on the SLT that was standard (and only available) on the Larimie was the overhead HomeLink garage door opener. I like that feature in my wife's minivan, but on minivans they include it in everything but the bottom-most models. On our trucks, it's only in the Larimie package. The other stuff didn't matter to me (leather is a waste since I was getting those neoprene seat covers mentioned elsewhere on this site, etc.). Several thousand dollars for a garage door remote? No thanks... I'll use the one that came with the opener.

Perhaps I'll pick up a Larimie overhead console and retrofit someday. I certainly have enough money saved from not buying the Larimie package to give me that choice! [grin]
Old 03-28-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Power sliding rear window": Optional on either SLT or Larimie, pay either way

"Power sun roof": Optional on either SLT or Larimie, pay either way

"Heated seats": I believe these are optional on the SLT, so that doesn't force your choice either

So far, none of the above REQUIRES a choice between the SLT or Larimie, and they're all extra cost options regardless of which model you choose.
If you "build your own" on the Dodge website those options don't appear to available on the SLT. Thou, I'll assume you are correct.

My wife thinks the "dual zone" A/C, power pedals, and heated power seats are worth any price.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Laramies are for posers!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:13 PM

I'm looking at them on the Dodge website right now. A 3500 SLT shows in its Options list:

Power Adjustable Pedals: $120
Power Sunroof: $850 (requires Light Group)
Rear Power Sliding Window: $295

...and so forth.

On the other hand, dual-zone A/C and leather seats are shown as Larimie-only features. So, as I've said, it depends upon what features matter to the buyer in question. If he's got to have leather seats, he'll have to pay the Larimie price. If he insists on dual-zone A/C, pony up for the Larimie. If he wants a sunroof, it's not included on either package so he'll be paying $1000 either way. If he wants a rear power window, he can have it on either model for $295.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
My wife thinks the "dual zone" A/C, power pedals, and heated power seats are worth any price. .
Because, I don't have two of the three items you listed, it keeps the wife out of my truck. Power pedals, had to order those because the wife is 4'11''. Had to compromise. Leather seats were an option for the SLT back when I ordered mine, sunroof came out the next year.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:12 PM

I had the laramie package on my 04.5. It was a nice interior. I chose to get the slt on my 06 stricktly because of the cost diff. If you look at the nada diff. in the two packages. You would never make up the added cost on the next time you trade. The one thing that I have found out is sometimes you never use the added features that come with the more expensive packages. As for the power slider, yes as for the sun roof, no.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:31 PM

I really wanted a Laramie but just couldn't swing it....darn wife! Oh well, but I did end up with a Big Horn Edition...alot of nice options for very little money. Fog lamps, sliding rear window, Free Sirius sat radio for a year, trailer tow pkg, black bodyside moldings, badges, and a leather wrapped steering wheel...all for like 600 bucks
Old 03-29-2006, 05:17 AM

Thanks for the input.

Some of the Laramie options I really do value. Heated leather seats, power pedals, home link, Stereo, rear window defroster etc................ I'm rolling out of my Ford Lariet.

The list price is $ 48,530.00 and the dealer is offering the truck for $42,180.00 for a discount of $ 6,410.00. I'm wondering if this is a good price or not. There are not many Laramies around here, infact only one with the bucket seats within a 400 mile radius.

Unfortunately the incentives end on Friday so I need to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by rjjr
Thanks for the input.

Some of the Laramie options I really do value. Heated leather seats, power pedals, home link, Stereo, rear window defroster etc................ I'm rolling out of my Ford Lariet.

The list price is $ 48,530.00 and the dealer is offering the truck for $42,180.00 for a discount of $ 6,410.00. I'm wondering if this is a good price or not. There are not many Laramies around here, infact only one with the bucket seats within a 400 mile radius.

Unfortunately the incentives end on Friday so I need to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks for all the help.
When my roomate bought his 05' he got an slt with power 40/20/40 seats and the dealer got him aftermarket leather from a local upolstry(sp?) shop. It is WAY better than dodge leather and he got it for ~$800 extra. I'm sure you could get seat heaters put in at the same time for a decent price. Howver some people don't like to mess with that stuff. $42k for a laramie is a good price. Dealers around here are trying to get $52k for the same thing. My roommate paid $37K for SLT quad cab. Up to in the end.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: SLT or Laramie