3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help me decide: SLT or Laramie

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide: SLT or Laramie

I'm about ready to plunk down my money on a new Dodge truck. (Former ford loyalist.) I really like the Laramie over the SLT but resale wise will I get the money back out for the cost of the Laramie package when I sell it someday?

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 AM

if you go larmie , they got two packages , go with the nicer one. i guess i got the lower one and the only difference i ca n find between the slt and larmie is the leather with heated seats and the larmie badge.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 AM

I guess you really have to decide what will be more practical for your application. I wanted the 4wd shifter in the floor and the cloth seats,,,,the only downer for me was I couldn't get the heated seats with the SLT
Old 03-28-2006, 09:41 AM

I went with the Laramie because it is my only vehicle and I don't really use it as a work truck. Plus I like leather seating surfaces. I also noticed that the front bumper is painted on the Laramie where as the SLT is not. I like the painted look better.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:43 AM

Depends how much fluff and foo-foo you want....I didnt really see the need for more than I had in my last truck, so I got another SLT....Form follows function.....
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 AM

i wanted the laramie but i really couldnt see spending the 2k just for the leather over the truck i was already getting. I opted for the sport b/c i liked the color matching bumpers, interior trim, electronic 4x4, power rear window, and seats. Basically the only diff on my truck is that i dont have leather and i dont have heated seats...ohhh well ill live...but i do love leather.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Banned

The comment about the painted bumper is not a laramie thing. It is a sport package option
Old 03-28-2006, 02:00 PM

I didn't want anything to do with an electronic T-case control so it was a no-brainer. Floor mounted T-case lever was not available in the Laramie package.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:16 PM

I had an 05 SLT QC and opted for the 06 mega cab laramie, with the 0% and getting it for invoice, my pmts are about the same since i dont have to make pmts till october i used that money to put down. I like the laramie interior much better so i gues to me its worth it
Old 03-28-2006, 02:25 PM

Nicer leather heated seats, aluminum look radio bezel, chrome grill insert and home link system for an extra 2,500. I passed. I have since installed the chrome grill insert from mopar for $50.00, heated seats wont happen unless I order a new truck, aluminum radio bezel will have to wait, home link; dont need. I believe the drivers seat is a bit more adjustable but mine is fine the way it is. My sig say's it all.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:28 PM

I am sure an SLT is very nice but I bought a Laramie and really love it.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:32 PM

Go SLT + Big Horn Package...

I considered the same decision and went with the SLT (which gives you all the basic stuff you or the next owner will really want). Add the Big Horn Package (called Mountain Trails or Lone Star in some parts of the country, it's the same package) to get the rest of the important things like towing package, fog lights, nicer wheels, rear sliding window, etc. The MSRP for the package is ~$1200 but most dealers charge around $600 for it - best package deal in the world.

The last two things you definitely want are the Fold Flat Rear Seats and the "Preferred Seating" package that gives you the 40/20/40 front seat with the powered driver's seat. This maximizes your seating/storage options.

ALL of these things, combined, will cost thousands less than either Larimie package. That extra is just not worth it IMHO for some leather and a few appearance knick-knacks. Spend some extra on things that are important (see above), then save the rest of the money for the accessories you will undoubtedly want.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by WACTD
I considered the same decision and went with the SLT (which gives you all the basic stuff you or the next owner will really want). Add the Big Horn Package (called Mountain Trails or Lone Star in some parts of the country, it's the same package) to get the rest of the important things like towing package, fog lights, nicer wheels, rear sliding window, etc. The MSRP for the package is ~$1200 but most dealers charge around $600 for it - best package deal in the world.

The last two things you definitely want are the Fold Flat Rear Seats and the "Preferred Seating" package that gives you the 40/20/40 front seat with the powered driver's seat. This maximizes your seating/storage options.

ALL of these things, combined, will cost thousands less than either Larimie package. That extra is just not worth it IMHO for some leather and a few appearance knick-knacks. Spend some extra on things that are important (see above), then save the rest of the money for the accessories you will undoubtedly want.
Well put, could'nt have said it better myself.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by PThree
The comment about the painted bumper is not a laramie thing. It is a sport package option
For your info. For 06 the laramie has a painted bumper on the front.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PThree

You sure?

My 06 Mega Cab has a front painted bumper and doesn't have the sport package.... it is also two-tone silver, which I believe two-tone is not available on the sport package. I also have a chrome grill which I believe the sport package is painted (this one is I'm not sure of though).

Reason I know is because I wanted the sport package on my truck but couldn't find a Mega Cab CTD that had one. Here's a pic for you.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: SLT or Laramie