3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help me buy HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me buy HIDs

Sorry for all the questions but I知 trying to get the whole scoop on what I need to buy hids in one post. My girlfriend wants to buy me HID Headlights and Fog lights for Christmas. I already know I want the BI-Xenon headlights and fogs in the 6k temp. I know I need to get the relay harness and while I知 at it I知 going to get the 6 ohm 50 watt resistor just in case I need them. How many resistors do I need to buy? Is it one resistor per headlight or two? How many will I need total?

As of now my truck did not come with fogs. I have those ugly black caps in there. I do have the wire that drops down by the driver side fog hole. My headlight switch does not pull out though if I tried to turn on the fogs. Do I have to buy the whole stock fog light assembly that comes with the wiring harness and dash switch?

What bulb does the fog痴 take on the 2005 Rams? Will I need to buy the relay harness and resistor(s) to make the fogs work just like the headlights. Sorry for all the questions. I just wanna make sure I get everything with one shipment that way when they come I can install them without waiting for more parts to come. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM

I just installed HIDS in my 04 and i used a 8 ohm 20 watt resistor and didnt have any problems just use a t-tap and run a wire from the low beam wire to the ground.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
DO NOT BUY FROM EFX (eurofx) customer service SUCKS, they don't and won't answer the phone or return emails! I finally had to go to another company to get the harnesses I needed to trick the "lamp out light" and keep them from flickering. www.hidspeed.com KILLER customer service, hand made the harnesses I needed and had them to me in 3 days. AND they answer the phone, return emails and help troubleshoot any problems. Don't go with cheap kits.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM

I ordered my from xenongate.com fast shipping and good deal, im about to order my fog lights from them
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 AM

I went to xenongate.com and they have two kits.

1) 9007 Bi-Xenon HID kit

2) 9007 Hi/Low HID kit

I thought bi-xenon meant that it was a high/low beam kit. So now I'm curious what the difference is between the bi-xenon and high/low kits?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by metalli445
I went to xenongate.com and they have two kits.

1) 9007 Bi-Xenon HID kit

2) 9007 Hi/Low HID kit

I thought bi-xenon meant that it was a high/low beam kit. So now I'm curious what the difference is between the bi-xenon and high/low kits?
The Bi-xenon is the better kit because the high and lows are HIDS, and the hi/low kit has hid lows and halgoen highs, i have the hi/low but the highs suck, but the hids are so bright you dont really need a high.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM

General Design Lighting has a BI-XENON HID kit that comes with two balllast,2 bulbs,and all wiring said to be plug&play no cutting or splicing takes approx 20 minutes to install comes with 6k bulbs,but you can get 8k or 10k,but the guy I talked with said depending on where you live you might have some legal issues with the 8 or 10k. kit complete 244.95 he said he also had hid kit for fog lights that if you boght both you could get for 400.00. has anybody seen these. I am especially interested in the plug&play part.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Chapter President

I have bixenon for headlights and the fogs are done as well. 8000k for all of them. I can drive around on my fogs alone now! LOL

plug and place is cool but i would be worried about burning up the factory harness. I would get the relay kit which provides direct power from the battery and the factory harness triggers the relay. then you have no worries about doing damage to the factory harness. I did that on both headlights and fogs to prevent damage.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:34 PM

what is the difference between 6k 8k and 10k?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by osiris
Its the color and light output of the bulb
Old 11-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
I would get the relay kit which provides direct power from the battery and the factory harness triggers the relay. then you have no worries about doing damage to the factory harness. I did that on both headlights and fogs to prevent damage.
You do not have to worry about burning up the factory harnesses. These lights draw less wattage than halogens. I bought some off of e-bay. I cannot remember the name of the ebay store, but I have an email from them. They told me I could order through email for my third set for my PIAA Fogs.

I paid $67 a set and they came with everything needed. No resistors at all and no "Lamp Out" indicator either. They supplied the capacitors needed so that the lights didn't flicker at all.

For $65.00 you couldn't go wrong. These lights have been very reliable. I thought that $65 bucks I would give it a shot and I am glad that I did. I only did the Hi/Lows, but that is because I clicked on the wrong link. Still, all the same price, hi/low or bi-xenon.

If you are interested I have the email from them stating the prices they quoted. PM me your email and I will give you their information.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cbrahs
I have bixenon for headlights and the fogs are done as well. 8000k for all of them. I can drive around on my fogs alone now! LOL

plug and place is cool but i would be worried about burning up the factory harness. I would get the relay kit which provides direct power from the battery and the factory harness triggers the relay. then you have no worries about doing damage to the factory harness. I did that on both headlights and fogs to prevent damage.

im looking at this mod as well any chance your could post a pic to see how blue the 8000k's are ive already had the 6000 and was happy with them in my 02 tj but i really would like these to stand out and we get lot's of fog here and the blue is supposed to cut the fog better ?

cheers if you can i know night pic's can be hard to get the real feel

thanks in advance
Old 11-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by osiris
the color and intensity of the bulb
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by fadetoblack
im looking at this mod as well any chance your could post a pic to see how blue the 8000k's are ive already had the 6000 and was happy with them in my 02 tj but i really would like these to stand out and we get lot's of fog here and the blue is supposed to cut the fog better ?

cheers if you can i know night pic's can be hard to get the real feel

thanks in advance
I will try to this weekend. I have an offroad show to do tomorrow and a desert race on saturday but I will have my camera with me on friday.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM

cbrahs,
Just curious if you ever took some pictures.

Quick Reply: Help me buy HIDs