3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

help: dash lights behind heat/air/blower controls out

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help: dash lights behind heat/air/blower controls out

i have an 06 qc slt and it seems like there is a small light out behind the heat/air/blower controls cuz it is really dim there. i had dash out and took the whole 3 control **** section out of the dash piece and unplugged it. i looked at it and there is little lights there but it was behind like a small electric board(like a computer, its one of them green electric boards)...well anyways i wanted to pull that off to see if i could replace them little bulbs and i could not take that electric board off, since i didnt know if it was suppose to be able to come off or not. can anyone help me out?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the '03-05, I believe the entire HVAC unit has to be replaced as the bulbs were fixed to the circuit board. However, I think on the '06+ interiors, the HVAC bulbs are replaceable, though they are an oddball size. I don't have any firsthand experience with replacing them, however, so can't give you any insight on that.

You might want to try and get ahold of these guys:

http://hid-solutions.com/products/06...nel-Bulbs.html

They sell replacement LED bulbs for the '06+ interior gauge cluster and HVAC cluster so they undoubtedly would be able to tell you how to go about getting to them.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM

wat is HVAC?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Old 09-19-2009, 01:34 PM

I just replaced all of the bulbs in the HVAC controls. You were so close, and it was very easy...
I believe that the screws (3) if you take a small screw driver and rotate about 30 deg. the holder and bulb will come out and you can change
Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM

how about for an '03? you need a new board? I have the same issue on my '03. whats a new board cost?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Im getting ready to order a used replacement for my fathers '05 and when it gets in I plan to take the old one apart and see exactly how it is set up. I'll keep you updated (since '03 and '05 should be the same) and, if I think about it, take a few pictures and post them.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
Im getting ready to order a used replacement for my fathers '05 and when it gets in I plan to take the old one apart and see exactly how it is set up. I'll keep you updated (since '03 and '05 should be the same) and, if I think about it, take a few pictures and post them.
thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 PM

ok i will try that next time i have my dash apart...which is a nice sat afternoon project
Old 10-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
so how did it go?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MulesDiesel
so how did it go?
I got the controls in, but haven't yet had the time to do anything more than open the package and ensure it was the correct part. I haven't swapped them out or even looked at it closely. Thanks for reminding me though, I will try to get them swapped out and start taking a look at the insides of the controls tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 PM

Just wondering what that little circuit board with the lights in it for the HVAC controls runs price wise?

Mine needs to be replaced... I'm scared to go to the dealer and ask!

Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by redryder64
Just wondering what that little circuit board with the lights in it for the HVAC controls runs price wise?

Mine needs to be replaced... I'm scared to go to the dealer and ask!

Thanks
i have no idea, call a dealership and get ur check book out....yeah i replaced all my lights and put everything back together...and guess wat?!?! i think my god dang blend door or somethin broke on me cuz it seems like the air flow when on high is only about half of wat it should be and it sounds like all the air is getting trapped inside the dash.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Alright, got a chance to swap the panels out today and really take a look at the old one. Just so we're clear, this is the HVAC panel for an 03-05 interior. The HVAC controls look like this:

Here is what it looks like on the back:

This looks very similar to the back of the 06+ HVAC controls. In fact, it looks like the only real difference between the two is the texture of the *****. There might be some internal differences that I am not aware of, however.

Anyway, the bulbs are removable. There are 3 of them. This is one of them:

And here is what they look like out of the panel (just a 1/4 turn and they pop right out):

I had initially thought after removing them that the bulb might be separate from the socket and I might be able to remove them. Wrong. This one was burnt out and scored pretty bad, when i tried to remove the bulb the socket fell apart in my fingers:

These bulbs look very close to the pictures of ones I've seen for the '06+ model trucks. Can anyone verify what size/type bulb these are? I'd like to pick up a few replacements and have them handy in the event that the bulbs in the salvage yard panel that I just installed on my fathers truck has burnt out bulbs as well (it was too bright to tell when I installed it; I'll have to check it at night to find out if they all work).

Anyway hope this helps some of you, and hope someone can let us know the size/type number of this bulb so I don't have to grease my backside and head to the dealership parts dept.