3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help

I went out to start my truck this am . It started fine but it had no gauges and every warning light was on.Earlier I saw my dog messing with the wire from the trailer. I looked at it and it appeared to be ok.I unhooked the batts. and tried again. No luck. The truck runs fine. The a/c even works but no tach,speedometer,fuel gauge,voltage gauge even the gear indicator light ect. The low fuel light is on along with the check engine,brake light and every other warning light.It ran fine when I parked it with the trailer a few days ago. Is there any chance my dog sunk a tooth through the trailer wire blowing a fusible link? All the underhood fuses look ok. Are all those black fusible links the same? I am near desperate to get this up and running as I have these tractors promised and people are waiting for them.
Thaks a lot.
Joe
Old 08-04-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt it would be a fuseable link but it could be , but my guess would be to look at the fuses in power distribution box or in cab fuse box . Make sure he didn't cross some wires under their playing with his high buck chew toy giving you a feed back condition . Love my dogs but they can try a mans patients some time and they can do it with a smile and a completely innocent look to boot . The cost in damage from all the German Shepard's I have owned over the years would add up to a nice sum and they were worth every penny and then some . What happens when you unplug the trailer ?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:17 AM

Sounds like an Instrument Cluster failure of some kind. See if you can start an Instrument Cluster diagnostic test. Make sure OD display is showing Odometer miles. Hold down trip button and then turn key to on position. Keep trip button down until Instrument Cluster diagnostic starts, if it will. This test will go through all the instrument cluster displays and gauges and look like new year's eve for a minute or so if it works. At the end it will display Instrument Cluster codes if any are set. They are in a format of xx nn. Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 AM

Sorry after reading again I see you checked under hood fuses , I have had a similar problem when I had a trailer wired wrong . Like I said take the trailer out of the loop and see what happens and hopefully that will give you a place to start
Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 AM

I have A G shep too, best dogs around. I unplugged the trailer but made no difference. I did not try the odometer to read the codes. I was in a wild hurry to make an appointment. I also did not check the in cab fuses. Are they down by your left foot like they were on my 98? I did leave the batteries unhooked and will rehook them when I get back home. How long are you supposed to leave the batts unhooked to reset the computer?
Thanks
Joe
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM

I don't think the batt. cable erase trick works any more on these new trucks if I am not wrong they need to be dumped with a computer now our erase themselves with time . It almost sounds to me like the key switch is stuck in the crank mode part way our like said before your getting a feed back from some were . I think I would get under the truck and make sure he didn't chew some were else were you have not looked . Fido may be completely innocent and just have been leading you down the wrong road by pulling on your trailer loom , GS are smart that way .
Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 PM

Well the dealer says it's fixed. They said they had a helluva time finding out what it was. They said a wire had pulled out of a wire harrness on top of the transmission. Anybody ever heard of this one? I don't do any real off roading (just in my own fields, However the grass in one was about 2-3' high.just before the cut/bale. could that do it?) Anyway thanks for the good suggestions.
Joe
Old 08-08-2006, 02:26 PM

I had been wondering how you made out , glad to hear your up and running again . That would have been a hard thing to find and I think it leaves the dog off the hook , I hope you forgave him with a steak . Sounds to me like a miss at the factory that finally gave up the ghost , I doubt that it was something that happened in the field . It sure is amazing how a loose wire on the trans can affect the Whole cluster .