3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Headlights on w/ wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights on w/ wipers

The wonderful state of California has decided that in a few months when we turn on our wipers the headlights have to come on. I was thinking this was allready a requirement in some states down south?? If so is there a relay or jumper wire that we can install to make this idiot proof for those who have been driving to long to learn something new??
Old 02-14-2005, 05:54 AM

It's the law in NC already. Has been for more than 2 years and still many many drivers do not turn theirs on. Troopers rarely pull people over for it (apparently) but I suspect if they're involved in an accident they might be ticketed.
Nat
I don't think the wiper switch could stand the load of the headlights but I'd say you could add a relay to the wiper circuit that could, but I wouldn't do it. I would just start making an effort to turn on the lites with the wipers. It didn't take long for me to make it a habit, but others obviously haven't.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:14 AM
Banned

What about if you want to clean the windshield? Are the headlights gonna come on for that to? Or what about a quick sprinkle? Seems to me that you'd wear the electronics out pretty quick having them come on any time the wipers are activated.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:24 AM

this has been a law here in NY for a few years. It took a little while, but you will catch on. In fact, your more likely to leave them on when you stop, than forget to turn them on in the rain

Originally posted by BigBlue
What about if you want to clean the windshield? Are the headlights gonna come on for that to? Or what about a quick sprinkle? Seems to me that you'd wear the electronics out pretty quick having them come on any time the wipers are activated.
Now your getting silly. Do you really think your gonna get a ticket for cleaning your windshield? Yes, for a quick sprinkle you must turn them on. Besides, you wont know if its quick till it stopped How exactly are you gonna "wear out the electronics"? Does tthat prevent you from changing the radio station? Dont want to wear out those radio electronics " Honey, i know its getting dark but we're almost home and i dont want to wear out the electronics"

Sry, but i neede a good laff
Old 02-14-2005, 11:01 AM

Just what we need, more laws to protect ourselves. Maybe they should make it a felony and then they could take away their guns too I think we are overprotected now and too many loose laws on the books that can be interpreted too many ways. and the lawyers keep getting richer.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:12 AM

Amen to that, this country is run by a bunch of attorneys that weren't good enough to make it with their own practice. Do you think a good lawyer would give up his $150k plus practice a year to become a Senator for $50k...I don't think so.

{JOKE}
What do you call a lawyer that is mentally retarded????
---- "Your honor"...
Old 02-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whitesport please don't tell me you're naive enough to think that a '$50K/yr' senator is taking home less than a '$150k/yr' lawyer..

I recently moved up north from FL. The headlights/wipers law has been in effect there for years. I've never heard of anyone being cited for it. I remembered at least half the time to turn them on.

FL has a newer law than that - you have to MOVE OVER lanes or slow to 20mph BELOW the posted speed limit if there is an officer on the side of the road with his flashers on. Too many cops were getting killed/clipped by motorists while they were pulled over giving tickets. I rarely see people following this law either, although I ALWAYS follow it.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dodgedude361
this has been a law here in NY for a few years. It took a little while, but you will catch on. In fact, your more likely to leave them on when you stop, than forget to turn them on in the rain

Now your getting silly. Do you really think your gonna get a ticket for cleaning your windshield? Yes, for a quick sprinkle you must turn them on. Besides, you wont know if its quick till it stopped How exactly are you gonna "wear out the electronics"? Does tthat prevent you from changing the radio station? Dont want to wear out those radio electronics " Honey, i know its getting dark but we're almost home and i dont want to wear out the electronics"

Sry, but i neede a good laff
That's the whole point of my post. To be silly. Just like that law.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Lightman
Whitesport please don't tell me you're naive enough to think that a '$50K/yr' senator is taking home less than a '$150k/yr' lawyer..

I recently moved up north from FL. The headlights/wipers law has been in effect there for years. I've never heard of anyone being cited for it. I remembered at least half the time to turn them on.

FL has a newer law than that - you have to MOVE OVER lanes or slow to 20mph BELOW the posted speed limit if there is an officer on the side of the road with his flashers on. Too many cops were getting killed/clipped by motorists while they were pulled over giving tickets. I rarely see people following this law either, although I ALWAYS follow it.
LOL, that's true, I wasn't considering their "bonuses" from lobbyists. aka Professional Bribe Engineers...

Old 02-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Think of how fun it going to be driving in the rain with the wipers on intermitant and the headlight flashing in concert.
The California Law states lights must be on when the wipers are on continuously, and at the officer's descretion.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Talking

So as long as I use Rain-X I'm safe, right?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:35 PM

See? If we had Daytime Running Lights like the Canucks, we wouldn't be having this arguement...... We'd be having a DRL arguement instead.

MA and NJ require lights on when wipers on. NJ is very proactive with signs advising you as you enter the state.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:49 PM

Program

Can't the newer trucks get a flash to have the daytime running lights? If so this would take care of that issue. It is the law in Virginia also but even the police don't do it and don't enforce it.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:59 PM

Is it a law yet that we have to wear raincoats when it rains? If it happens, you can bet it will be in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM

Yes, its the law in VA

Yes, you can get your truck reflashed for daytime running lights - I ordered my 03 that way for an additional (had to look at my build sheet.....) $40 - sounds expensive but, I havent regretted it - sounds like the best thing to do if you are worried about turning them off and on

Quick Reply: Headlights on w/ wipers