3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Headlights staying on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights staying on?

I've noticed that sometimes my headlights stay on even after I've turned the switch to off and shut the truck down. It doesn't do it all the time so I don't know if it has anything to do with the sequence... i.e. shut truck off, then lights, or vice versa. Anyone else notice this or do I have a problem?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:42 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Don't know about the 2004's but the 2003's are designed that way. Did you read your owners manual? They will stay on for one minute if you shut the engine off before turning the lights off. If you want to turn them off after the engine is shut down, switch them on again and then off. They should stay off.
Read your owners manual and let us know if it says anything about this.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:42 PM

Same thing happens to mine. I have to turn the lights back on then off again.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:43 PM

The headlights will stay on for a short time if you turn your truck off before you turn off you lights
Old 08-02-2004, 03:51 PM

Thanks guys... that's exactly what it does. I'll see if it's in the manual.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:42 PM

It was built to do that.. I wouldnt worry about it. They shut off after a minute.
Scott
Old 08-02-2004, 11:54 PM

I also figured out that if you just leave the headlight switch in the "on" position all the time, (or forget to turn them off) they eventually turn off, then next time you start truck they will come on. Cool feature, kinda like auto matic headlights, never a need to turn them off.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by GotCummins?
I also figured out that if you just leave the headlight switch in the "on" position all the time, (or forget to turn them off) they eventually turn off, then next time you start truck they will come on. Cool feature, kinda like auto matic headlights, never a need to turn them off.
That's part of the Diesel safety circuitry. It's designed to make sure that your batteries don't run down so you can start the engine, incase you were a big dummy and forgot to turn off the lights
Old 08-03-2004, 07:38 AM

there is a programable setting for them they can be off or stay on for 15,30,60 seconds its in the owners manual the dealer can change them for you I had mine shut off.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BiggRigg600
Thanks guys... that's exactly what it does. I'll see if it's in the manual.
It is....along with loads of other useful bits of information. Funny how the folks at Dodge put a feature on a truck and then TELL you all about it by writing about it in that little book in the glove box.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Hoss
It is....along with loads of other useful bits of information. Funny how the folks at Dodge put a feature on a truck and then TELL you all about it by writing about it in that little book in the glove box.

My thoughts exactly
Old 08-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Hoss
Hey, c'mon guys... I read my manual... Unfortunately, I suffer from Sometimers disease... sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't!

Besides, I get better info from you guys anyways... and most of the time it's faster to ask here, since my truck is waaaay out in the parking lot, and I'm sitting right here with the DTR knowledge base at my fingertips.

I do find it strange how Dodge tells you some of this info in the book... like how to disable the seatbelt chime... I'm greatful, but find it strange nontheless. Seems like they could get into a big stinky if some idiot decides to blame them after he turns off the chime, forgets the seatbelt, and smashes into a semi. Only a matter of time IMO.

From now on, I will do my best to check the manual before posting...
Old 08-03-2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by BiggRigg600
I'm greatful, but find it strange nontheless. Seems like they could get into a big stinky if some idiot decides to blame them after he turns off the chime, forgets the seatbelt, and smashes into a semi. Only a matter of time IMO.

From now on, I will do my best to check the manual before posting...
DC has enough lawyers to cover that, besides the default is ON and you the consumer has to turn it off, so they have themselfs covered.