3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights

Ok gang, see a little smattered talk on this subject so will start a link.<br><br>I for one, am not totally happy with the stock lights. <br><br>I do like the fog light/low beam combo in dense fog.<br><br>But, when the high beams are activated the fog lights go out.<br><br>And in my part of the country (no freeways or roadside lights here) I am constantly dodging animals, little old ladies etc. and need more light!<br><br>Ok, so the eyes are not as good as they once were, but with bright lights they could be! ;D<br><br>Anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this situation?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-23-2002, 10:28 AM

Re:Headlights

I guess it's all relative, eh? I mean, the stock lights on my '03 are much better than the stock lights on my old '98. Glad I got the Fogs as well - they actually work!<br><br>I'm taking the simple way out at this time:<br><br>When I tow, it's during the day. So... I've got my lights aimed higher than Dodge sets 'em at the factory for night driving. Dodge sets 'em low so they won't be too high when you're loaded (not you, the truck!).<br><br>I don't think my fix'll work for everyone - but it suits my driving habits.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill <br><br>
Old 11-23-2002, 10:51 AM

Hunter, I believe there are several after-market bulbs that are higher intensity than factory.
You wishin for those twin spots in the A-pillar from your cruiser days?

Gotta watch out for them &quot;little old ladies&quot;, they will pull out from those unlighted driveways when you least expect them. Hit the ABS again, panic!
Old 11-23-2002, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple solution 1 pair Bosch Pilot Driving lamps mounted on top of bumper, kit comes with switch, relay and wiring. Wired properly through the relay with switch in on position lights will only come on in high beam mode, if you need just a little more buy the 100W H3 bulbs. Aim them 1 degree off center, left to left, right to right and you will find everything is well lit up to 1 mile ahead of you including ditches for animals. Saved my butt on the highway up North many times, moose can and will hurt or kill your Ram. PK
Old 11-23-2002, 06:38 PM

Hunter - Thought I answered your post this morning, but don't see it. Perhaps it ended up on another string. Anyway, my accessory dealer has a device that keeps your low beams on when you switch to high beams - makes a big difference. Mine will be here in a week so I can tell you the name then. Also, there is a higher intesity bulb available, But I'll try the other way first. He says it doesn't shorten bulb life.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.<br><br>I really don't want to add extra lights, had aircraft landing lights on my brand new 1970 Chevy 1/2 ton pea soup green 3 speed column shifter! Could see the ticks on an elks back at 1/2 mile!<br><br>I like the idea of low beam/high beam staying on together or a higher intensity bulb. Blue, keep me advised of that.<br><br>And if anyone comes up with higher bulb intensity, trys it and likes it, let me know please?<br><br>Thanks <br><br>Hunter
Old 11-23-2002, 08:35 PM

One of the problems you will endure is when two filaments are on in one bulb the temperature inside is incredable and usually kills them prematuraly. Going to a whiter light usually helps some but most people dont want to pay the price, increasing the wattage can also help but heat generation is a problem. Two side effects of this is the plastic lenses and light housings wont tolerate it and the wiring in your Dodge wont either, if on warranty and a plug ,harness or lens assembly warps or cooks because of increased amperage or heat they will not repair. I cooked a plug on my 2001 using Kryptons bought at the dealer I bought the truck and discovered that it wasnt covered and the plug in is not a plug in but the whole harness on these trucks is one piece to the frame. We ended up splicing a plug in from a 98 intrepid with a 12&quot; tail ($17.00) which has coincidentally an easier plug to unhook to change bulbs inside those nice fender accesses. Some state and provincial laws prohibit certain wiring configurations for the safety of others and safety inspections. PK
Old 11-24-2002, 12:29 PM

Hunter, <br> I think what your probably looking for is called a &quot;Bright-Box&quot; that plugs directly into the headlight wiring harness that will light both the brights and dims at the same time. However ; I have not tried one yet on my '03, kinda agree with the heat situation created by both filaments lit as mentioned by Kennedy. Here's a direct link that lists the Bright-Box: http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/show...54&amp;CATID=1<br><br>Roger<br>
Old 11-24-2002, 01:05 PM

Roger<br><br>Thanks for the info. but will wait until someone else tries something that works for sure!<br><br>Then I will jump on the bandwagon<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-24-2002, 05:10 PM

Well check your local laws but as far as I have known you can only leaglly have the driving lights come on with the low beams. Why it is this way I don't know, but this is what I am told. My 94 T/A has driving lights that are the same way, only on with the low beams......from the factory
Old 11-24-2002, 07:15 PM

If you go into the national safety standard the reason for the wiring designs are simple. A true road light operates like a high beam offering extra light the distance or better than high, this creates a safety hazard for oncoming traffic. The lights offered by the manufacturer are actually a fog lamp laying out light in a horizontal pattern to benefit the driver in fog or snow conditions, just like a properly aimed low beam it should never be a problem to oncoming traffic. Truckers for years were ticketed for the same thing having auxilary lights improperly wired at inspections, some even were ticketed for not having FOG cast in the lens glass. European lights were not legal on our highways until a few years ago despite that they were superior by design, had higher output and were a more precise pattern. Again there are lots of lights out there on the market but not all are created equal or wiil one be happy with installing the wrong lamps. PK
Old 11-24-2002, 08:04 PM

You could legally have the fog lights come on with the high beams I believe, but the purpose of the factory fog lamps is exacly as PK said. For driving in for or snow and you don't use your high beams in fog or snow<br><br>I just don't want to add an extra light on the bumper, but may have to so I can keep the animals at bay! :-X<br><br>Hunter
Old 12-19-2002, 06:29 PM

this is a link for true hid con kits for all makes a models<br> http://www.midnightmoose.com/hid.htm
Old 12-20-2002, 05:59 AM

[quote author=Bluedresser link=board=17;threadid=7449;start=0#71628 date=1038098293]
Hunter - Thought I answered your post this morning, but don't see it. Perhaps it ended up on another string. Anyway, my accessory dealer has a device that keeps your low beams on when you switch to high beams - makes a big difference. Mine will be here in a week so I can tell you the name then. Also, there is a higher intesity bulb available, But I'll try the other way first. He says it doesn't shorten bulb life.
[/quote]

Howdy,
The things you have to watch if you go this route are
1. Bulb heat will be high enough if left on for long periods of time to blister the reflective coating on the headlight reflector and
2. high current draw through a circuit that is not really designed to carry a high load for extended periods of time and finally
3 everything including the headlights are controlled by the body control module and it may get upset if you start playing around with the head lights.
Jeff