3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Hate the bouncing ride...Solutions?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at the Bilstein site last night and noticed that they have the same shocks listed from 94-03 for the 2500 and 3500 trucks. Based on that, I'd say any any manufactures shocks for the older models should work just fine.

BTW, Bilstein lists shocks for 6400 to 7500 lbs and shocks for over 8400 lbs (GVW). My weight due to towing will only be around 8000 to 8400 lbs for GVW. Which should I go with?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the imput. The slated roads down here do a number on you. It's tough enough drinking Starbucks, talking on my cell phone while driving to the tanning salon, trying to get to the Lakers game by the begining of the 2nd quarter because I have to get out of there by the end of the 3rd. Just a little L.A. humor
Old 04-13-2004, 02:34 AM

This may help and has been said in varying degrees.
Check the tire sheet and lower the air pressure in the tires, I think its 50psi front and about 40 psi rear. Also add 3 bags of traction sand to the bed, they weigh about 60lbs each. This should help smoove out the ride and keep just enough weight on the springs to keep you from bouncing too much
Old 04-13-2004, 12:21 PM

I just got a surprise. I went to a couple of sites ready to order some Bilstein shocks and came up empty. So I called Bilstein and they said the HD's are still "under development" and to call back in a month. Better get an account at the chiropractor.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:33 PM
db

It's not the wheel base.

I drove my 03' (short wheel base) in So Cal. Bouncey as h***.
I got back last month with the 04' (long wheel base) just as bad.
I suggest adjustable front shocks.---isn't there a Rancho 'in cab' adjustable shock? That's what I would do if I had to drive that section of road every day. If the front adjustable shocks don't cure it to your satifaction, add the Kelderman rears. Also in cab adjustable. They don't increase payload-but improve ride quality when running empty.
db
Old 04-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am currently working on a project with the folks at T-Rex.
I will have a T Rex suspension on my truck very soon.

Everyone I know that has one is very impressed.

There will be more info coming very soon.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:21 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ksadz
[B]Looks like either the Rancho and Bilsteins should solve the problem. Most of my driving is freeway commuting. I also tow a 2 horse bumper pull and a 3H gooseneck. Both are under 9K. I would like to install em and forget em so I'm leaning towards the Bilsteins if they would work well for my driving habits.

ksadz,

I don't have any affiliation with either shock manufacturer. I have heard before the idea that the Bilsteins ride better or that people think they will have to adjust the 9000s and its a hassle. Not.
The whole idea with the 9000s is that you can match the damping to the current conditions. The bilsteins are velocity sensitive. When off roading in a Jeep, for example, where the vehicle has a relatively constant weight but sometimes it's getting hammered and sometimes it's just cruising around town, the Bilsteins are so nice and very sophisticated. The harder you work them the stiffer they get and the better they work. The important difference is when you have a truck that sometimes is an empty commuter, with very stiff springs, and sometimes is towing or carrying a heavy load. The suspension velocity with a heavy load is slower than with a light load, so, in effect, the shock may be stiffer when the truck is empty. Over big gradual dips you get almost no damping, and thus more bottoming and wallowing with a heavy load. If you install 9000s you can dial them up (even from in the cab) to match the load, in advance. It's not like you are reqiuired to do more work with the 9000s, it's that you can match the various jobs your truck is doing. And the conditions are very different with various loads.
I've had both over the years and like them both. But they are different and good at different things. My Dodge rides much better than stock with 9000s on it and most of my driving is commuting I have the front set on 5 and the rear on 3. The front bottoms less and feels less bouncy than stock. The rear feels more compliant and tends to skip sideways less over bumps on corners. As soon as I get a heavy load in the back they get set to 9 for maximum stability and control. My buddy runs his on 1 in his Cherokee and cranks them up for cross winds. Makes it much more stable. The Bilsteins are better for high speed off roading with a vehicle of relatively constant weight. The 9000s are better on trucks, with stiff suspensions, that sometimes are commuters and sometimes carry heavy loads.
You may find a setting you like and never change it again, but at least you had that option.

Wetspirit
Old 04-14-2004, 08:06 AM

Scotty,

You don't happen to be looking at a T-Rex system with more lift do you? I'd definately be interested in that!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:23 AM

I think its called beaming (if you want to tell your dealer about it).
Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by Berak
Scotty,

You don't happen to be looking at a T-Rex system with more lift do you? I'd definately be interested in that!
I am looking at the front 2.5" lift and stock height in the rear.
They are just waiting on the shocks to ship to me. I hope they have it here before I head south the May Madness.

Scotty
Old 04-15-2004, 04:36 PM

I don't know anything about the Rancho 9000's, but Bilsteins I do know make a major difference. I too live in California and find the roads to be a nightmare. With my last Dually I did not change the shocks until about 60,000 miles. Had I known the difference the Bilstein shocks would have made in the ride, I would have changed them out the day I bought it. As soon as I get the time I will be changing them out on my 2004 or as KSADZ points out I guess I have to wait about a month for this new truck.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:15 AM

Ordered the T-Rex Bilstein package yesterday. It's designed specifically for what we're talking about plus is supposed to give you a great ride under 30mph in the rough stuff. Should get here and be installed in the next couple of weeks and I'll post the results. Not cheap. I'm keeping the stock height front and rear. Scotty, are you getting the Bilstein, King, or Fox setup?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by ksadz
Ordered the T-Rex Bilstein package yesterday. It's designed specifically for what we're talking about plus is supposed to give you a great ride under 30mph in the rough stuff. Should get here and be installed in the next couple of weeks and I'll post the results. Not cheap. I'm keeping the stock height front and rear. Scotty, are you getting the Bilstein, King, or Fox setup?
Bilstein
Old 04-17-2004, 12:56 PM

I picked up a dozen bags of sand a couple weeks ago, at walmart, for the grandkids sandbox. The truck rode like a limo with that sand in the back.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:24 AM

Bouncing Ride

Chrismez,

I just came back to Florida from New Orleans pulling our 5th wheel. I-10 with cement roads will give you a bouncing ride. On my '04 2500, when not pulling, there is a tire pressure supplemental that recommends dropping the rear tire pressure to 40 lbs. Check this out with your particular truck. ...Alan.

Quick Reply: Hate the bouncing ride...Solutions?????