3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Half the dash lights are not functioning?? New truck to me (03, 276k miles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Half the dash lights are not functioning?? New truck to me (03, 276k miles)

Dahs lights dead on part of cluster and climate control and light switch, I thought to my self ok, this is now a 10 year old truck with lots of miles, bulbs are probably fried. Searched here and everywhere, ordered new LEDs from superbright leds, and went to work.

Bulbs were burned out, filaments were broken and black. Changed out, reinstalled and same locations are still dead even with new leds inplace. Ran diagnostic on cluster, throws C-code 27 : courtesy/ dome circuit open or shorted.

My dome light works fine, All fuses in panel, are in proper shape, truck does have a prodigy trailer brake controller installed but it works as well.

Is my cluster and ac switches fried? (all gauges function properly as does odo)

AC controls are iffy but I think its the gates in the box not the switches them selves. (could be though? since mixer and head/foot/def works sort of only at extremes and no inside/out side/max ac function)

Anybody have any insight on where to start or what to look for?

Thanks,

DC
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think your cluster is OK but I would try swapping out the AC controls.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Chapter President

Unhappy

Thanks I am pricing the ac switches now.

I failed to mention that the climate control bulbs were black and fried around the bulbs. But one of the Neo leds I installed did light up.

Also the 4x4 indicator is dead now, system works and front axle actuator works but now no dash light as far as I can tell the rest still work.

the back light on the headlight switch is non functioning as well but it is a permanent light to the switch.

any more ideas? is there a short somewhere? I really don't have the heart to dig into the labyrinth of bundles and harnesses.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Chapter President

(bump) So new wrinkle.

(still havnt ordered a new climate control panel)pretty sure my recirculator door is bad, and the defroster selctor is slow to act. so who knows. Had to recharge the ac but still acts up.

Now the 4x4 and OD on off lights wont light up, (havnt runt the self test yet, lazy I geuss, keep forgetting) but both systems are functioning.

Still, been working it over in my head, why are only a few of the dash illumination lights not powered? (installed new leds on all, the current non working ones were burned up but still not functioning with new) dont all the traces on the dash cluster connect to each other?

Is there problems in the IPM/fuse block I need to check?

Still scrathcing my head.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I am assuming that the original bulbs were conventional bulbs and you are converting to LEDs? I'm not sure of the style of bulb in your cluster, but is it possible to turn the bulb around in the socket to change the polarity? You are probably already aware of this but LEDs won't work if the polarity isn't right.

If that doesn't help, I would be tempted to install factory style bulbs to see if they will work, before doing any further troubleshooting. Do you have a known good bulb you can try in all the dead holes?

Next, if you have access, you may be able to use an LED test light to verify that each inoperative socket has power and ground. If either is missing, you may be able to backtrack on the circuit board to find a possible cause.