3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Had diesel up to 110

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, my auto w/410 topped out at that speed, 112 or so. It was nobody on the highway except a friend in front with a super radar and he said his 350Z was at 112. I was at redline and only went a little ways with it like that before shutting it back down to normal. Just needed to know and now I do.

Fastest for me was a 87 Ninja I owned with the modified Stage 3 kit on it years back. (re-jetted carb, better flow intake, different frt/rear spockets). Got a call from Dad saying get to the hospital as Mom isn't doing so well. That was a 4 hour trip in car, made it in 2 hours on bike. Family was surprised to see me eating breakfast with them that morning. It was very early in the morning about 4:00 am so nobody on the road. Went past a state cop sitting in a rest area at 130 mph, cranked it and saw 155 mph for a few moments. Then shut it back down to just very fast driving. After getting there, stopped and thought about all of that and Bike was for sale about 1 month later. Just too **** fast and wasn't worth my life if something simple (like a deer jumping in the road) was worth it. Both parents have passed since then but at least I did get to be with her one last time.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:07 AM

consider yourself more than lucky--here in az any speeding ticket over 85 is automatic jail time
Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 AM

The speed limit in arizona is 75 mph you get caught going 20 mph over the speed limit it is mandatory you go to jail. is it worth it to you . not to mention you hit a coyote or an elk at 100 mph you will be just like the song . some times your the louisville slugger sometimes your the bug.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

Fastest I've been was 160 in the corvette with the top down. Sucker was still pulling hard in 6th gear but I had to shut it down due to a curve in the road.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:15 AM

A few years back I made it from Sac to LA in under 4 hours once. For one tank of gas (about 150 miles through the desert of nothingness, I-5) on my BMW K1200RS I never dropped below 120, with several minutes at 140 or so. Even at over 2 miles per minute that thing was rock solid! The speeds didn't worry me at all, only getting caught. The only time it got scary was when I maxed it out at 162... anything over 150 or so felt FAST. When I slowed back down to the 90-100 range it felt like I could get off and walk! That's the trip that I learned riding without earplugs is STUPID. When I stopped to fill up, I couldn't even hear the lady over the ringing when I paid.

I had to sell that bike to buy a house... I sure miss that bike. The current VFR is nice but nothing is as smooth or fast as that Bimmer was. Oh wait, back to trucks... I'll have to try that "key 1 notch off" trick (in a friends truck) and see if she'll squeak out a couple more MPH.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been to 105 one time by myself on a deserted road and never done it since and don't intend to do it again. This was after I got it back from Scheid Diesel. It was still pulling me back into the seat at that speed. I don't like the speed thing anymore unless I'm watching it on TV.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by skeeter
The speed limit in arizona is 75 mph you get caught going 20 mph over the speed limit it is mandatory you go to jail. is it worth it to you . not to mention you hit a coyote or an elk at 100 mph you will be just like the song . some times your the louisville slugger sometimes your the bug.
It's funny how the states treat this type of thing different. In Co., they stop counting at 25 over. I had a friend that got a ticket for 135 in a 45 in his Pantera & it was written up as "25 over".

My favorite saying for the Co highways is the best thing about the 75 mph speed limit is 90 is only 15 over!

On the other hand, they can choose to add in a "reckless driving" offence at any time & it is a full 12 point ticket that will result in revoked license if it isn't reduced.

When I lived in Tx., they could care less how many tickets you got as long as you paid the fines. They also had a system where you could take a drivers ed. class once a year & get out of any ticket.

Oh, the memories of foolishness....
Kris
Old 04-17-2005, 01:48 PM

Trucks have improved!

My last CTD was an 89' and had a top speed of 66 mph on a long flat straight away with a tail wind. Took awhile to get up to 66 mph and felt like a thrashing machine at those speeds. Glad to hear from you guys that Dodge and Cummins have worked out the power to weight ratio and these trucks are not suitable for use on today's freeways in places like CA where the average speed is around 80 mph just to keep up with the flow of traffic.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:36 PM
tcr

Got up to 118 today (by gps) felt like it hit a wall and quit pulling. It didn't cut out like a gasser, it stayed smooth at 118, by the way the only reason I did this crap is this thread had me curious
Old 04-18-2005, 05:10 PM

Had mine to 110 MPH the other day. The truck pulled strong all the way to that speed and then just stops pickking up speed, still had about 1/4 to 1/8 of throttle left before it was WOT. There must be some type of governor that slows or slightly de-fuels so the truck can not go any faster. I was not at red line 2800 or 2900 RPM's. I have the 3:73 rearend.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by bhoeffner
Had mine to 110 MPH the other day. The truck pulled strong all the way to that speed and then just stops pickking up speed, still had about 1/4 to 1/8 of throttle left before it was WOT. There must be some type of governor that slows or slightly de-fuels so the truck can not go any faster. I was not at red line 2800 or 2900 RPM's. I have the 3:73 rearend.
I'd guess you have re-programmed your speedo for the 32 in. pro-comps. The guy in the previous post that got up to 118 probably still has the stock speedo program with 315's and can go higher on GPS since the truck only thinks it is doing 110.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:45 PM

I haven't been very fast in my Ram and probably won't be, but I've seen 165 indicated on my 2004 R1 with a bunch of throttle left.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Random_Sample
I haven't been very fast in my Ram and probably won't be, but I've seen 165 indicated on my 2004 R1 with a bunch of throttle left.
A budie of mine with a lot of seat time on sport bikes and a death wish had a coworkers brand new R1 toped out the other day. All he said is it will do 95 in first and there are 5 more gears to go. He said 0-185-0 in one mile. I asked if he wanted to die. Years ago in collage I had a 93 FZR 600. I had that up to 140ish a few times and that was way more than enough.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:22 AM
tcr

Yep, on the 118(gps) w/ 315's stock speedo settings. This means there's gotta be a mod to overide the speedo controled governor.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:25 AM

108, had a guy in ford thunder chicken that wouldnt let me by him, get up to him and he would take off, so i got tired of messin around with him and mashed the motor and had plenty more form there, backed out of it when i got well in front of him. I think i embarassed him infront of all his buddys!!! The fastest I ever had anything up to was 125 in a peterbilt we had unloaded cows in Dodge City KS and had to get back east to get another load.......

Quick Reply: Had diesel up to 110