3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

H2 Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H2 Rims

Well got what I thought was a deal on some H2 rims. Guy was losing his truck so I got his rims in a swap for mine. Had to do the tire swap from rim to rim and pay for that but that was all. Now for getting the center caps from my rims to fit on the H2 rims. How much do I need to take off the lip to get them to fit? I can measure what is left on his but want them to be right on. His have two problems, first somebody took far too much off one of the caps and it has a big gap around the rim and second I have to machine out the centers anyway since I have free spin hubs on. On the other hand, does anybody know where I could pick up one cap to replace the one that is messed up? That would let me keep the same finish on the caps as the rims.

Last question, these seem to have about 1.5 inches more of offset, is that about right? This won't effect anything steering wise will it? I will be going with 35's shortly and know that will make some changes.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:13 PM

I can help with your last question, I just put my H2's on with 35's.
The offset gets the tires away from the control arms but makes them fit tight on the fenders when you turn. I cranked my bottom control arm bushings as much as I could to make the control arm longer and my tires still rub on my mud flaps when I turn sharp.

It'll also make the tires stick out past the fenders, too much IMO, your truck will get sprayed with water, mud, rocks or whatever you're driving through.

I didn't want to but think I have to get a set of ATS flares if I keep the wheels, here's some pics:

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...eels/?start=20
Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 PM

Just put another set of lug nuts over the other ones and they will fit without any cutting. I found a set on ebay for $15.00.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:04 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they look a lot better when trimmed and installed.

With the original H2 wheels cut 7/8 inch off to fit
With the '08 H2 wheels cut about 1 1/8 inch off to fit

With the Dynatrac kit it gets a bit more complicated but still works just fine.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...7&d=1205096878

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&d=1205096878
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Machining the center works too, see the link in my signature.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the info. The extra set of nuts is an idea I honestly hadn't thought about, I was all set on trimming. Wow, those sure are a tight fit with 35's. I have mud flaps on the front too so those may be in the way. Bummer, I was hoping they wouldn't rub by going to these rims but it's gonna be close. May have to just stick with my 285/75/17's. I wanted to go to the wider and taller tire since this truck is terrible in the sand but will think on that one a while longer.

It does look like my center caps will look okay and I won't have to try to stick to the ones that came with the rims and have the messed up one.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know some will complain, but I used the "new" style GMC cap. The caps come in "GMC" or "chey logo" and either polished or chrome (that makes four sets). Simply use the older style lugs for HD GM trucks. They fit the Dodge studs AND have the the thread on the outside of the lug so that the black plastic lug nuts in the cap can screw onto the true metal lugs on the wheel. Here is a link I found showing the "chevy logo" cap. I got the GMC ones in chrome. No machining needed and sits in nicely, does not stick out as you can see in the pictures.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...Picture490.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...Picture492.jpg
Old 07-20-2009, 11:09 AM

I tried something similar after seeing it done on someone else's H2's. He told me he didn't need to trim them either but I guess I got the wrong caps but I was milling the center for the RAM caps anyhow. I also didn't know that about the old lug nuts, that's a good tip!
I just tapped the plastic GM ones over the lugnuts and it held well, I had the GMC part painted over by my friend who runs a body shop:

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

I decided to go with the RAM caps though.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Actually I like those ideas but have a really hard time swallowing the bow tie on my Ram!!!! Me and GM have agreed to disagree years back! Might have to think on this one a little. Actually since I have the lockout hubs, I could just use the older lugs and leave the caps off the front all together while using the existing H2 caps for the rear. Might look a little strange but probably not any worse than using a polished cap on a gray rim.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:10 PM

H2 caps won't work on the rear cuz of your big hubs.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just paint (in the color of your choice) over the chevy logo or the "GMC" letters. I have the GMC caps in chrome and got a can of spray paint in a very bright silver. If you ask me these caps look the best on the H2 of all the choices and fit with no modification except for using the old style GM lugs.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 PM

GM caps:

Ram caps

I prefer the Ram ones but took a poll to help me decide:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n-t239767.html
Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Yeah, for sure I would have to cover over that GM warning label! Thanks for the tip though and I'll be working on them this week. Now to decide on 35 inch tires or stick with my 285/75/17 size. I like the 285 size but wanted a tad more flotation for the sand we have down here. I sure like the Toyo MT but my checkbook doesn't!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 PM

Well put the Toyo mt 35's on today and the truck finally looks like it should have to start with. Really like the tires and no rub at all anywhere. Did take the front mud flaps off but probably didn't have to after all. However, they would have been pretty much useless as they were too narrow to have done much good with these tires. Hate to think about fender flares but might have to now! So far these Toyo's are all I wished for, guess we will see down the road!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 PM

Weird you have so much room and my 35's fit so tight..?

Quick Reply: H2 Rims